• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► The Age Old Problem: Parents and Video Games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultima_heroine

Website
kechi-twilit.livejournal.com
‘Ello everyone, I’ve got a bit of a problem on my hands.

I’m a sixteen year old girl who is going to be a junior next year and ever since I was twelve I’ve always wanted to design video games and stuff like that. I am highly evolved in my school’s clubs and activates and am constantly away on different trips and maintain an 4.0 average.

Well, a few months ago I was telling my mom about how I was going to buy a DS. (For all the trips I have to go on and stuff) also I would pay for it (with my money, not hers) and she told me she didn’t think it was a good idea. She told me that, by now, I should be growing out of video games and should be moving onto ‘more mature’ things.

Even after all the examples I gave her on ‘Successful adults who play video games ‘ she still told me that I was too old for them and should consider a new pass time/ career choice. She also stated that nearly all the people I listed were guys and that, because I was a girl, I should have stopped paying video games years ago.

So, yeah – I’m ticked. I can’t seem to make my parents understand why I play video games and why I will probably never ‘grow out of them’. It’s gotten’ to the point that my parents won’t even let me buy video game anymore (DS example above) even if I pay for it myself.

I’m pretty sure that they would’ve sold my PS2 by now if it wasn’t the fact my brother plays on it all the time. (Note: get scolded for paying video games. My brother doesn’t. I find that a bit unfair.)

So, yeah. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help me with this?

Last edited:

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
^ I have a similar problem. My PS2 broke. I want to buy a PS3 with my own money. But, mother thinks I'm too old, and should be way more mature.

You want a career in videogames? Wow. =D Good luck with that!

Tell your mother it would help your career. You need to make her understand how important your future career is to you. If it's your dream, you should fight for it. (Not that I encourage you arguing with your parents or anything.)

I wish I could offer more to you, I really want to help. Don't give up, okay? =3

~<3

T

Tyler Durden

Yeah. The fact that doctors who play video games perform some surgeries better than those who don't didn't faze her? Your mom seems like an unbendable straw.

But it IS your money, so they can't do anything about it. If they do, tell them to back off. If they still take it away, blow all your money on candy, and see what they think is better.

Parents are totally ridiculous these days. They should realize that games are a fun pass-time, and a hobby. The fact that you want to work in them is even more of a compelling reason for you to be able to play them. You can't be the best band if you don't know the competition, right?

From my view, your mom is being totally unreasonable. But since you are 16, I say to hell with her and get the DS. Get a PS3 while you're at it too. They don't run your life anymore, and they should get over it.

T

Tyler Durden

Is this you implying that I can't read, or trying to rationalize what her mom is saying?

EDIT: Wait, aren't video games supposed to improve your vision or something?

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
Follow your passion. You are garaunteed to fail in life, otherwise...especially if you're doing what other people think you should be doing. Too many lives have been ruined by their parents' advice. If you love it and you are willing to work at it, go for it.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
I'm going to say what I think, So one jump on my back.

Do not go to a gaming design school. All they do is take your money and it's waste of money, Gaming desgin is easy to get into but very hard too get work in.Well, what I mean is being a game desiginer can break you or make you. If you make one game and it flops people will look at you and not your team, like I said one game can make or break you.((Unless you meaning you want to do something like art design for games or map design etc.)))

If it's something you really really want to do. Get Quake and make mods, maps etc and get Halo 2((For PC)) and Halo 3(for 360)) and make maps. Go to the game store and see what games have a map editor etc. Try it out and see if thats what you want to do.

I'm not trying to be mean or hard on you, so plz don't take it that way. Some people think they want to this, So they go school pay all that money and end up wasting that money because they find out its to hard or it's different form what they made it out to be.

So heres what you should do. Go buy the games like I said and if you like doing that. Then go too a school for Computer Science or something like that. If you end up hating gaming disign then your safe and you wouldn't of wasted all that money.. Because there is other stuff you can do if you take Computer Science.

===================

Getting you mom to let you play games. Just tell her million of millions of people play them. People who are 20 and up play them and they have great jobs.

Gaming is a hobbie just tell her that and it's hobbie you like very much.

((sorry if there is any ypos etc, I'm sleeply. I'll fix them later if there is anyway.))

Last edited:

Hollow Bastion

Crimson
Awards
Your mom is pretty narrow minded to think that you're too old to play games or that you shouldn't play them 'cause you're a girl. There are plenty of girls out there now getting involved in video games. It's no longer meant solely for guys now. I personally know several girls my age that own their DS, PS2, etc. And I know people who are in their 30s and 40s that are playing games.

Heck, if your mom says video games are too immature of a thing for people 16+, point out the many M rated games like, oh, Doom 3 or something. If she thinks those games are actually meant for kids younger than 15, she needs to think a little harder on what the ESRB ratings mean.

In any case, it's your money. She can't tell you what to spend your money on. She can advise you, but it's your money, not hers.

Also, regarding the game design thing, I do have to agree somewhat with SE up there. It's a very hard field to get into, and it can either make or break you.

Ultima_heroine

Website
kechi-twilit.livejournal.com
Hmmm. Does your eyesight suck?
Nope, I got 20/20 vision.
wasting that money because they find out its to hard or it's different form what they made it out to be.
So heres what you should do. Go buy the games like I said and if you like doing that. Then go too a school for Computer Science or something like that. If you end up hating gaming disign then your safe and you wouldn't of wasted all that money.. Because there is other stuff you can do if you take Computer Science.

That’s more or less what I’m doing this summer. I’m currently signed up for a summer course on video games/ computer graphics development that I SHOULD be attending during July this summer.
And thanks for the tip about the games with maps – I’ll try that out sometime soon.
---
As for my DS problem it’s been fixed…currently. Since it’s my money she understands that she can’t force me to not to spend it so I’ll be buying it the next time I go to the GameStop.

For the career thing, well, I still have a lot of convincing to do.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Duality

Tobuoi said:
Too many lives have been ruined by their parents' advice.
And too many have been saved by their parents' advice? A bit harsh on our parents eh?

In any case, your mom sounds pretty stubborn/narrow-minded about the topic. All in all, I'd stick with just following your passion. Stick with it. However, I'd have to agree with SuperEclipse's advice, be careful before putting all your marbles in Video Game design.

How to make your mom understand??? I don't think she will. Just play, have fun. If your parents really do get that upset about it... I dunno, would it be that hard to give it up? It's up to your discretion as to when your parents get that upset.

Best of luck.

Electropop

What would you do for a Klondak Bar
Website
www.myspace.com
Lawlz, Video games are one of my Hobbies. <3 More Ps2 is played alot, and Its broke twice... RIP Ps2 #1.

Im a big gamer, thinking about getting me a Ps3 next summer with my own Money, but parents are like "Need to get out and have a Social life and be a girl, and go to mall." Honstaly I hate the mall. Its AKA hell. =D So, do what I do. Play as much as I can, until its gone. .-. Then Sneak in a Dslite, and play with it when your alone... Brother told me that once. *Step Brother*

Zeph

imp of the perverse
Mine are the same. My lil' bro was getting carried away with the games, so my parental controls only allow one hour on electronics now except on Sat. - and I have tochoose between the comp. or my ps2. *sigh, it sucks* try to reason with them, is all I can say. Either that or sneak on the games. It can be hard to do that tho.

Princess of KH

I have a similar problem. I love video games, & i would love to work on the storyline or characters of video games. I told my mom this, & she said that's not wdhat she thinks i'm supposed to do. I told her that i really would like to do something like that, along w/ some other stuff. She agreed w/ the other stuff, but not w/ video games. She says i have a great imagination, & that i shouldn't waste it. I told her that it takes great imagination to make great video games,(usually), & she said that i was right on that. I just hope she gets my point.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
‘Ello everyone, I’ve got a bit of a problem on my hands.

I’m a sixteen year old girl who is going to be a junior next year and ever since I was twelve I’ve always wanted to design video games and stuff like that. I am highly evolved in my school’s clubs and activates and am constantly away on different trips and maintain an 4.0 average.

Well, a few months ago I was telling my mom about how I was going to buy a DS. (For all the trips I have to go on and stuff) also I would pay for it (with my money, not hers) and she told me she didn’t think it was a good idea. She told me that, by now, I should be growing out of video games and should be moving onto ‘more mature’ things.

Even after all the examples I gave her on ‘Successful adults who play video games ‘ she still told me that I was too old for them and should consider a new pass time/ career choice. She also stated that nearly all the people I listed were guys and that, because I was a girl, I should have stopped paying video games years ago.

So, yeah – I’m ticked. I can’t seem to make my parents understand why I play video games and why I will probably never ‘grow out of them’. It’s gotten’ to the point that my parents won’t even let me buy video game anymore (DS example above) even if I pay for it myself.

I’m pretty sure that they would’ve sold my PS2 by now if it wasn’t the fact my brother plays on it all the time. (Note: get scolded for paying video games. My brother doesn’t. I find that a bit unfair.)

So, yeah. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help me with this?

She believes in one of two stereotypes:

1. Girls aren't supposed to play videogames

2. Adults don't like videogames.

First of all, good luck with your videogame career. I share a similar aspiration. playing videogames is none of your mother's business. my father plays them(occasionly) and look at where he is: good job, good family. she dosen't know they're fun, she, like every other parent in the world, thinks they are nothing more than a waste of time. tell her that she should play video games before even thinking of condemning you to give them up.

twilightsniper

wow am i glad my parents dont hate video games 2 months ago my mom brought me a xbox360 for playing hockey

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
wow am i glad my parents dont hate video games 2 months ago my mom brought me a xbox360 for playing hockey

got a ps3 for straight a's(w00t!). was a little upset though. still, what's the beef with parents against videogames?

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Completely understandable. x__o; Though, I know this is like the whole Disney and growing up thing: if your parents take something that you love so much away from you, you're probably going to grow up and live with that same thing. My best friend had her Disney stuff taken away, but she still loves it and might go into a career with it. xD;;

For the DS thing: as negative as this sounds, don't listen to your mom about that sort of thing. If it's your money, then you can get what you want with it. No one can decide that for you.

And, for the career thing: if they tell you 'no' about going into that sort of career, do it anyways. Do what you want to do, work with what you want to work with. If you become a doctor or a lawyer instead of a video game designer, then you will never, EVER be happy. Plus, if you become a video game designer, you can change something in that field and make it so much better. [Technology-wise or game designing-wise]

There's my advice for you. xD;; *gives cookie* Gewd luck! ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back