• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The 2010s overall for gaming (your review)...

• Thread starter Deleted member 32967
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 32967

It's almost 2020 and we'll soon have to say farewell to this decade. This crazy, yet eerily fun decade. Did you think this decade was good, or bad, for gaming all around?

For me, as a fan of Resident Evil and Silent Hill, I think the last 10 years were utterly crap for both of these franchises. I'm actually done with all RE sites now, as I had so much hassle from fanboys and trolls over the past 16 or so years. It's not worth getting worked up about either. And I don't really play other games from unrelated genres, so I can't speak for people who enjoy fighting games, RPG titles, sporting games, or anything like that. But as a survival horror nut since the late 90's, I reckon this decade was pretty bad for the biggest flagship series, but this era fortunately gave birth to some brilliant horror games that made up for the screw-ups. Games like The Last of Us, The Evil Within, and recently, Days Gone. Sadly, I think those games will forever remain underrated, because people only seem to like games made by famous companies, while anything else only receives a lukewarm response.

The reason I hate RE now is because Capcom ran out of ideas on where to take it in a direction to where it makes sense. Every game is a mess, because they just insert new plot aspects that goes absolutely nowhere. It became too much about hardcore action over the years as well, with 4/5/6, and they just did bad retreads of the stories from the old games, and the RE2 remake was nothing special in my eyes. RE7: Biohazard also wasn't my idea of this dying series "going back to its roots" either. They totally screwed up Chris Redfield's features with this new photo realism horseshit they went for, so it doesn't even look like him anymore. And overall, the game was a bit lame anyway. In the original game from 1996, you had, what? You had zombies, a giant plant, sharks, bees, Hunter Alphas, Cerberus dogs, a Tyrant, etc. In this game... you have a family possessed by a little girl that also sometimes appears as an old lady, and she makes "Molded" creatures, that all look pretty much the same. Unless you count the alligators out in the swamp. But that's it. Kind of crap, right? A game in 1996 has better enemies than a game from 2017 and so on, and so forth!

Also, in this day and age, you usually get games that are full of bugs and have to wait a while for patches. It's ridiculous how they don't rectify that in advance. 2K for example releases their WWE crap every year, probably fully aware of the issues. Gone are the days where you'd simply soldier on through a game and unlock stuff as a reward. Now they make you buy a "season pass" for to get the rest of their half-ass garbage. In general, you don't really feel like you can remember any of this stuff after a month or so after you're done with it. Like, it is a forgettable, 'play that one time' kind of a game. But with the classics from yesteryear, you still like those stories and fondly recall your best moments. Truly pitiful...

Silent Hill is dead. Konami updated the license to the IP months ago, just so they can apparently go on making more slot machines. How sad. Now all the real fans of the games will probably never see a true sequel, ever again. It's not likely to happen, due to their crude shift towards gambling venues and stupid mobile games that no one cares about. Uh! And I also feel the same way about Hollywood, with their tacky reboots of films that were once made with the passion that viewers deserve to see. And remakes do nothing for the lore. That's precisely what Capcom is doing, because they know people like the old ones so much, thinking a new take on it will get everybody excited.

The Last of Us Part II looks like a brilliant game, but it has been delayed until May. That's like 7 more long months of waiting. Kind of annoying, right? With that said, Naughty Dog has my respect. They don't just want to churn out buggy nonsense. I'm kind of half happy that they are taken their time here, even if it means waiting for a fair amount of time. I bet Capcom wouldn't do that. They'd just rush release it on day one. Naughty Dog could probably make better RE games than Capcom, and as a fan of RE for 20 plus years, that's a hard pill to swallow.

Just my two cents, honestly. It's okay if you don't agree with any of this stuff...

A YouTuber called "Raccoon Gaming Department" actually posted an insightful, in-depth video, detailing why the RE2 remake wasn't so hot after all.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Nitpick: decades are ***1-***0, not ***0-***9.

The beginning of the decade was amazing. I saw the release of my favorite video game of all time - Mass Effect 2, as well as Deus Ex: Human Revolution in 2011. Of course, there were other great titles like Red Dead Redemption, a TPS called Vanquish, GTA V - these are the first ones that come to my mind. However, as time went on the industry became more and more toxic with loot boxes, microtransactions, rarely do you see a triple-A game released with entirety of content. Publishers are releasing games in pieces which DLCs. Some DLCs are good (like FarCry 3: Blood Dragon) but mostly it all looks disappointing. I'm an optimist and I hope that one day things will come back to normal if we gamers will state our opinion about the condition of gaming industry lound and clear.

Perkilator

Awards
(Ignoring that I don’t like how this is just another excuse for an RE/Silent Hill tent thread,) the 2010’s were certainly a hit-and-miss decade for gaming. Off the top of my head, here are the games I played this decade ranked by chronological order:

-Pokémon Black and White
-Epic Mickey
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7
-LEGO Batman 2
-Kingdom Hearts 3D
-New Super Mario Bros. 2
-Pokémon White 2
-New Super Mario Bros. U
-Fire Emblem Awakening
-Pokémon X
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Mario Kart 8
-Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U
-Pokémon Omega Ruby
-Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
-Fire Emblem Fates (Birthright)
-Kirby Planet Robobot
-Pokémon Sun
-Kingdom Hearts 2.8
-Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5
-Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
-Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
-Super Mario Odyssey
-Pokémon Ultra Sun
-Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
-Fire Emblem Three Houses

D

Deleted member 32967

Is Red Dead Redemption the game with zombies and cowboys? I just heard that it was supposedly just tacked on, and the real main game was not about any of that stuff.

Back