I'm actually confused. How was The World That Never Was set in the real world? Wasn't that world still asleep?
The World that never was is not one of the seven worlds that needs to be awakened. Worlds that are already awake can also dream, and Sora was inside an induced dream about The World thatt never was instead of the real thing while Riku was INSIDE Sora's dream.
It works like this:
1. Sora enters the World that never was (this is the real one!
2. Xigbar shows up and babbles stuff.
3. Young Xehanort shows up and makes his "come with me"-stuff.
4. Sora falls asleep, anything after that Sora experiences is a dream.
5. After Young Xehanort's mindfuckery in the Traverse Town with various Sora's, Sora tries to open a door Pluto vanished through and is cast into another dream inside his own dream (a second dream layer, like in the movie Inception).
6. When Sora finally remembers his encounter with Aqua, Ansem SoD shows up to prevent Riku from waking Sora up, casting Sora back into sleep and towards Xigbar (the my friends are my power stuff follows).
As for Riku:
1. Riku enters the World that never was (this is the dream one
, in fact Sora's dream
2. Riku finds Sora sleeping in that bubble, seeing how he's trapped inside his dreams, following the pain of those connected to him weakening his heart in the process.
3. Anti Black Coat shows up, the Nightmare-counterpart to the Riku-spirit (as Riku has become a Spirit Dream Eater inside Sora's dreams) and Riku trashes it.
4. Riku wonders why defeating the ABC didn't wake Sora up.
5. Ansem SoD makes his entrance, explaining most of the above stuff and Sora's double nightmare, and again tries to get Riku open to darkness.
6. Riku defeats Ansem and pops up at Memory's Skyscraper. The World's logo appears again (now we are in the REAL The World that never was).
7. Riku enters the castle, meets up with Mickey and all the Xehanort stuff happens as well as Lea, Donald and Goofy showing up later.
Notice how TWTNW also has no sleeping keyhole to unlock. Both Sora and Riku already unlocked seven sleeping Keyholes by then:
1. Traverse 1st
2. La CitÃ© des Cloches
3. Prankster's Paradise
4. The Grid
5. Traverse 2nd
6. Country of the Musketeers
7. Symphony of Sorcery