• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Tetsuya Nomura talks Drive Forms and more with Destructoid!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoecho6

Awards
I always preferred KH2 combat because I actually want to hit stuff with the keyblade which is the weapon of choice, so I loved the combos and duelweilding. I don't want to use guns or some other weird stuff which is why I am not a huge fan of the new features yet. (I like magic though, but that's when it is clearly being used by the keyblade). Personally I would rather have our traditional summons, drive forms, and limit commands, then what we are getting.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The idea of certain Disney characters inspiring Drive Forms is actually an interesting idea. If they ever did something like that, it'd most likely be protagonists/party members. Hercules-themed drive form, Aladdin-themed, Mulan-themed, etc. Especially if they carry over the styles of the movies into the clothes.

EDIT: Although, how awesome would Drive Forms based on Maleficent or Hades be?

Last edited:

MasterZero

I'm okay with Sora getting the Drive Forms back. I'm also in the KH2 camp. That game, to me, had the best gameplay. It looked awesome, and it made me feel powerful and fast. I've played BBS on the PS3 and I'm just not as big a fan of the gameplay. Haven't played 3D, but excited to try it.

Precursor Mar

I always preferred KH2 combat because I actually want to hit stuff with the keyblade which is the weapon of choice, so I loved the combos and duelweilding. I don't want to use guns or some other weird stuff which is why I am not a huge fan of the new features yet. (I like magic though, but that's when it is clearly being used by the keyblade). Personally I would rather have our traditional summons, drive forms, and limit commands, then what we are getting.

Stuff like the transformations and attraction flow are basically just over-glorified shotlocks so it's not like you're gonna be forced to use them, they're meant for crowd control. All they've shown us is an evolution of the things you mentioned (and you gotta admit, the summons were cool but most of them sucked).

Echoecho6

Awards
Stuff like the transformations and attraction flow are basically just over-glorified shotlocks so it's not like you're gonna be forced to use them, they're meant for crowd control. All they've shown us is an evolution of the things you mentioned (and you gotta admit, the summons were cool but most of them sucked).

I agree with and like your reply. The summons did suck I never used them, but I would still rather have them just because they were a kh1 and kh2 thing and this is kh3 the game ive been waiting for. I want it to stick with all the same stuff as the last two as much as it can. Also they could just make the summons better, them sucking in the previous games doesn't really matter.

Lnds500

Bronze Member
Awards
I'd love Drive Forms to be back to be honest. They make for incredible variety in boss battles, so many different strategies you can use. I wouldn't have beaten Lingering Will had it not been for Final Form.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I'm in the mindset that adding too many options could be a bad thing. I'm mostly concerned about the balance. I mean its all well and good to be all flashy and cool but enemies should at least pose some threat, and honestly more importantly to me the Disney characters shouldn't just be treated as fancy power ups for Sora. Which Drive Forms were a huge contributor to...the other being Limits obviously.

So, I don't want any of the old forms but Limit coming back, at least in the way there were. Honestly, I find Keyblade Transformations more interesting, so if I had to pick a transformation ability it would be those. That being said...transformations inspired by Disney characters sounds more intriguing :p

But yeah, balance is my biggest fear gameplay wise...everything already shown looks like its shaping up to be a fun experience if they pull it all off like they want.

Anagram

Banned
Good lord flowmotion, transformations, magic and now drives? Thats quick territory to the easy and boring state KH2 had before it's final mix added level one playthroughs.

I'd rather not have drives back or if they do I want something taken in it's place or at least for them to not be overpowered as hell. But I'd rather not have them back.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I loved Drive Forms; they made KH2 feel unique and gave a nice spin on the combat. It felt like a natural progression of Sora's abilities, to go from wielding one Keyblade to wielding two...going Valor for the first time was just such fun, and unlocking each Form as the game went on, exploring their various combo set ups and abilities, made for a good time. I'm interested to see how they implement the Keyblade transformations in light of that, since it also feels like a natural progression of Sora's abilities, but stuff like turning his Keyblade into a Pegasus driven chariot feels awkward and hokey. I can see a cannon or a pair of magical guns; but there's a point where one has to wonder, if there are no limitations on this kind of thing, why not just turn the Keyblade into a giant frigate and nuke Xehanort?

I feel you on this. It's called a Keyblade. There's something to be said (both in terms of narrative and gameplay) for keeping the original function of your magical weapon relevant.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I just thought of something. What if he has drive forms at the beginning, and it sorta evolves into the keyblade transformations?

That might seem like a natural evolution and not hokey at all, proly not even game breaking. Maybe have costume changes with certain ones too, you never know..

Veritas7340

There is the possibility that the gameplay might resemble vanilla KHII, but there is still hope.

In BBS, there were many powerful gameplay options, however, the enemies still posed a good challenge. Perhaps the gameplay will look like that.

Precursor Mar

I agree with and like your reply. The summons did suck I never used them, but I would still rather have them just because they were a kh1 and kh2 thing and this is kh3 the game ive been waiting for. I want it to stick with all the same stuff as the last two as much as it can. Also they could just make the summons better, them sucking in the previous games doesn't really matter.

It's still too early to say but it seems each Keyblade will have a unique summon-esq attraction flow, like how in the trailer Sora had the Keyblade from the Hercules world and he summoned Pegasus. It looked pretty efficient so I wouldn't mind if they designed all the summons like this.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
If they do add them they must have some big upgrades, since Sora can perform most of the basic drive functions without them.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
When they first unveiled the game or during D23 didn't they claim it was actually challenging? Like that the enemies were actually difficult, and I think a lot of these options already existed. Hopefully that's still true, or will be true. I mean, the enemies barely moved in the trailer, but so did Donald and Goofy who were said to have better AI now that makes them "act like themselves." Ideally, both of these will come to fruition.

It's still too early to say but it seems each Keyblade will have a unique summon-esq attraction flow, like how in the trailer Sora had the Keyblade from the Hercules world and he summoned Pegasus. It looked pretty efficient so I wouldn't mind if they designed all the summons like this.

I think that's actually just that Keyblade's transformation. Which is way more interesting than just guns imo haha.

BEASTENDER

I'M SO HAPPY I COULD CRY!!!

I think I am crying...but the tears are manly so its okay lol I don't want drive forms, just the ability to have multiple keyblades, or at least to have specific forms. Like a form that transforms all of your moves into fire based attacks, or electric based attacks, and for them to be form exclusive. Fusing his multiple wielding ability with magic and even his keyblade transformations is the step above the loved and hated command styles (It's really the PSP's fault, as well as the poor, gimmicky, and often accidental and repetitious execution of the mechanic). All of my disappointment from the trailer just evaporated! This is why I always trust in Nomura despite the things that happen!!

Oh, and they've confirmed that enemy AI will be a lot smarter than they have been in previous titles, so don't think you'll just easily demolish everything. Especially on harder difficulties. Nomura used the Heartless Wave from the announcement trailer as an example when explaining how enemy behavior has drastically evolved. He also said in the past, enemies had pre programmed action patterns. Now allies and enemy AI have their own individual though process and act according to the situtaion, so don't worry about being too overpowered at appropriate places in the game. (Unless you are a player who level grinds and are like 15 levels ahead of where you're supposed to be...then yea, you may be a little overpowered lol)

Variety is what I so desperately want, so I'm not mashing the same combos and magic throughout the entire game. It looks like this game will have more than ever before. I mean, Summons, Flowmotion and Flowmotion Attacks, Attraction Flow, Magic (hopefully still very diverse somehow) Many Keyblade transformations that also have unique combos (confirmed), Limits (Team Attacks like the goofy shield in the trailer) Potential Drive/Command Style like forms, FF and Disney partners returning, enemy and Boss specific reaction commands (confirmed? Big Thunder Mountain sequence) Dramatic Aerial Abilities (confirmed) Giant Air Battles without touching the ground (confirmed), enemies that lift up entire buildings, with you still inside! (confirmed), and even more that they've already confirmed and haven't even seen yet. That is the epic battle system I've been waiting for, and we still have so much to learn and see.

My hype has been restored 10 fold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edits:

This is why I too favor KH2 over all installments. I want even get started on how embarrassing basic keyblade combat was in in BBS and to a degree DDD. The fluidity and speed of KH2 have not been matched thus far. I like to get in close and connect with the keyblade, not run away the whole time and spam magic from a distance. And as for shotlock, I literally beat the game forgetting it was a feature. I only remembered when I saw how people abuse it to beat harder bosses (I mean, I think you were literally invincible for many of them)

If you had KH2's combo-system + magic, with BBS commands and 3D flow motion, you'd have the perfect game.

This was my vision for KH3. The fast and fluid combos and movement from 2, as well as summons (much better than the terrible ones from 2...) Multiple Wielding and Limits, the amazing variety of magic and attacks that came from BBS and DDD (As well as a vastly improved and optional transformation system, combined with multiple wielding) and a much better balanced Flow Motion from DDD. That's why the trailer made me just a little concerned.

Also, too many things just thrown together can lessen the quality of the overall game. But I don't believe there's anything wrong with having a variety of ways to attack, to keep gameplay fresh. As fun as KH2 is, I will admit that it can be repetitive at times. The old plus the new would make for something very diverse throughout the entire game. As you will get new keyblades (new transformations), new abilities and magic, and basic upgrades like Combo Plus and even more interesting ones like Berserk Charge or MP Rage. It's also going to feel so good to have a proper ability menu and system like KH2.

Last edited:

LedxirnSimon

If drive forms are returned, does it mean Sora and Roxas still retain their special connection between them and Then-awakened Ventus to initialize their borrowed keyblades at same time in order to dual wield?

I'd love to see Ventus dual wield with Sora's keyblade in a unqiue way or maybe like Zidane. :p

Echoecho6

Awards
I still don't get why everybody loves flowmotion :eek:. It is the one thing I can't stand and never wanted in the game which is why the trailer bothered me! I don't feel like Sora should be able to jump and fly all over the place with a glowing sparkly trail. It makes it pointless to run up to enemies and attack them like normal, also it makes being able to glide useless. On top of it being overpowered.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I still don't get why everybody loves flowmotion :eek:. It is the one thing I can't stand and never wanted in the game which is why the trailer bothered me! I don't feel like Sora should be able to jump and fly all over the place with a glowing sparkly trail. It makes it pointless to run up to enemies and attack them like normal, also it makes being able to glide useless. On top of it being overpowered.

Flowmotion is essentially being able to do the "stunts," as I like to call them, from KH2 but actually being able to move around yourself. As someone who found Flowmotion to be very overpowered at the beginning of DDD, I would have agreed then, but by the end of the game Flowmotion was pretty much just as useful as regular attacks, since the wrong Flowmotion action could cause you to run straight into an attacking enemy, be vulnerable, etc. Flowmotion starts off overpowered but it loses that by the end of the game. As for making glide useless, is some ways it does, but in other ways, glide is actually better for use than Flowmotion (especially where Flowmotion isn't possible).

It's also worth noting Flowmotion is optional and not something you have to use, excluding some platforming. It's also been known since the first KH3 trailer that it was coming back since Nomura said it was, and we even see it a bit in action there (albeit with no color trail).

Shinra

Banned
Awards
Org14Kurix(Riku) said:
I'm glad too. Also Kim Possible would be great.
Aww c'mon who wants to go with the popular stuff I say we bring in one of the lesser known ones but still pretty popular Disney's FREAKING FILLMORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back