• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tetsuya Nomura in Iwata Asks! (Now with Translations!) *COMPLETE*

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Re: Tetsuya Nomura in Iwata Asks! (Now with Translations!) **Updated

Yeah, I get the depth thing! The Crash analogy works, I know exactly what you're talking about.
It's kind of funny because some people have complained that the rooms in Birth by Sleep, or some of them, as apparently they did a poor job of sort of masking the fact that they were rooms. I didn't really pick up on that my first playthrough but I can see it more now. And I wonder how this will effect DDD since with all the bouncing around I hear that it's easier to tell you're in a room since there's more invisible walls that are easier to reach and stuff (buuut at the same time, the areas look way bigger, so I'm interested to see how the feel changes).

But yeah, more so than just that, I think a lot of the more minor things go toward adding "depth," like the little science stuff/trinkets in Deep Jungle's camp site. Makes it feel more... lived in, I guess?
Which I suppose is funny given KH's lack of NPCs lol.

I like how Nom-chan responds with "Yes" after Iwata has asked a long question rofl.

I actually did laugh at this part, because part of me thinks he was like "What the hell is this guy saying, just nod."

Better stop babbling and finish #6 lol

HURRY UP GEEZ.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards

I think Kingdom Hearts varies in the "depth" is has depending on the world that you are in. Some worlds mask the walls really well, I think Agrabah has always been one of the better worlds that mask invisible walls, while places like Atlantica harm it because you cannot go above the water, and I'd love to at least get a glimpse of what is above the water, but Sora just hits an imaginary wall at the top. I think it would be smarter if SE put it a wall that made sense that Sora couldn't see above, not sure what, but something.

As for the interview, the way Nomura expressed his happiness towards the bundle makes me hope that he might bring it over here in order to get more "bragging rights" lol xP

Key Wielder

Awards

It's nice to see Nomura's reactions to the fans and how he plans things on that basis. :) Thanks for the translation, Goldpanner!

CaptainKchuckles

Truly appreciate you posting the interview. my heart lifts up when i see anything KH related.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
OP updated! It's done now :3
Iwata and Nomura were flirting so much at the end there omg otp

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

It's kind of funny because some people have complained that the rooms in Birth by Sleep, or some of them, as apparently they did a poor job of sort of masking the fact that they were rooms. I didn't really pick up on that my first playthrough but I can see it more now.

I know exactly what you mean. I think BBS had great characters, but the worlds didn't manage to generate the illusion of realness for me, either. There wasn't really that sense of 'anything could happen', or 'a whole world exists outside these little areas' or anything, it was just a series of rather empty spaces you had to run through to trigger cutscenes. Or that's how I felt... there was definitely that 'I am playing a video game' feel to it. I think if they had weird little interactive things (like yes! the stuff in the camp site!) or more platformy puzzles worked into the worldbuilding or hid the treasure chests better or given the LoD more atmosphere it might have felt deeper... I think having a lived-in feeling without the NPCs adds to the mysterious atmosphere, haha.

I actually did laugh at this part, because part of me thinks he was like "What the hell is this guy saying, just nod."

I may have translated it badly, but a lot of the time it felt like Iwata was trying to summarise Nomura or reword Nomura, and then all Nomura can do is be like '...yes'. lol I wonder where Iwata is ranked in relation to Nomura. Would the CEO of Nintendo be anything like a boss to him? Or is it the other way, would the console companies themselves rank underneath development companies because they need them or something?

HURRY UP GEEZ.

IT'S DONE NOW GEEZ. Only took me what 3 weeks

I think Kingdom Hearts varies in the "depth" is has depending on the world that you are in. Some worlds mask the walls really well, I think Agrabah has always been one of the better worlds that mask invisible walls, while places like Atlantica harm it because you cannot go above the water, and I'd love to at least get a glimpse of what is above the water, but Sora just hits an imaginary wall at the top. I think it would be smarter if SE put it a wall that made sense that Sora couldn't see above, not sure what, but something.

Yeah, I agree :3 But I think also the bad swimming mechanics in Atlantica didn't help the illusion any.

I think Destiny Islands in the first game had just the best set up, there was such a palpable atmosphere to it. And then you are thrown into Traverse Town, which is just as strange and atmospheric, and then even if you know Disney by heart you still never really know which part of the story of the Disney worlds you're about to be thrown into and which part you'll be leaving or how you'll affect it...

As for the interview, the way Nomura expressed his happiness towards the bundle makes me hope that he might bring it over here in order to get more "bragging rights" lol xP

The Nintendo CEO seemed pretty happy with it too!! Maybe they will :D

I ship it like I ship all my mail: First Class~

this ship has canons yusss

Also: 7,575 words
That's probably the longest thing I have ever done bar the actual friggen novels

Last edited:

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Thanks so much for translating this. Nomura's such a nice guy. And I agree with all this sense of depth and how it's important for developers to try and implement all of those little things in their games to make the worlds feel more real, as opposed to actually making them look real. They really failed with this in FFXIII since they didn't even bother trying then. All Final Fantasies for example are linear in a way but the developers did a really good job masking that.

Ulicies

God! They're so damn polite! It makes me view with disdain all of America's interviews laden with gossip and saturated with baited questions, obsessed with ratings rather than meaningful conversations. Honestly, reading this interview felt like a breath of fresh air. The conversation flowed so naturally that it hardly felt like an actual interview.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
God! They're so damn polite! It makes me view with disdain all of America's interviews laden with gossip and saturated with baited questions, obsessed with ratings rather than meaningful conversations. Honestly, reading this interview felt like a breath of fresh air. The conversation flowed so naturally that it hardly felt like an actual interview.
More like a conversation between two friends sitting on a front porch during sunset

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
OR WAS IT?!?!?!?!?!? O______o

Or maybe they met before but they never got to talk? Hm...

Iwata: Thank you for coming today.

Nomura: The pleasure is mine.

Iwata: Mr Nomura, this is the first time we've met like this, isn't it?

Nomura: That's true, yes.

Iwata: It just didn't seem to happen until now. Actually, for a long time I've wanted to speak with you at least once.

Nomura: Oh, really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back