• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Tetsuya Nomura and his 'branding'

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobjam

Awards
So I have been wondering recently having seen his name so many times in press releases, pre-order pages, trailers and so on - what is the deal behind his name in bold being in these things? Is this something that Nomura himself worked out with Square or is this Square trying to sell the product with his name along with it as a kind of branding?

I often see 'MAIN CHARACTER DESIGNER: TETSUYA NOMURA' on a lot of things FF and KH related and just wandered if anyone knew any more about what's behind that? He's a character designer, not a director on a lot of things SE produces so I am guessing it must be his name? But then, there was a time when nobody still really knew who he was ^^.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
So I have been wondering recently having seen his name so many times in press releases, pre-order pages, trailers and so on - what is the deal behind his name in bold being in these things? Is this something that Nomura himself worked out with Square or is this Square trying to sell the product with his name along with it as a kind of branding?

I often see 'MAIN CHARACTER DESIGNER: TETSUYA NOMURA' on a lot of things FF and KH related and just wandered if anyone knew any more about what's behind that? He's a character designer, not a director on a lot of things SE produces so I am guessing it must be his name? But then, there was a time when nobody still really knew who he was ^^.

His name has been on pretty much everything he's worked on since the mid-2000s. This is likely due to his contract that he made when he got a promotion around that time.

Tempus

Awards
With my Amiibo horde...they're mine I tell you! Al
Like you said; no one, outside Japan at the least, really knew who Amano, Nomura or Yoshida were until years later. I'd have to go look, but I think Amano got credit on the box & in the credits when I & II were re-released & anytime that artwork gets used now. And I know that Yoshida is credited on the back of the case for XII, since I'm looking at it lol. I think its just a case of Nomura asking for something a little ahead of the curve & some form of brand recognition on SE's part.

Bobjam

Awards
His name has been on pretty much everything he's worked on since the mid-2000s. This is likely due to his contract that he made when he got a promotion around that time.

Which game was it that actually started this trend? Was it FFXII or KHII?

Like you said; no one, outside Japan at the least, really knew who Amano, Nomura or Yoshida were until years later. I'd have to go look, but I think Amano got credit on the box & in the credits when I & II were re-released & anytime that artwork gets used now. And I know that Yoshida is credited on the back of the case for XII, since I'm looking at it lol. I think its just a case of Nomura asking for something a little ahead of the curve & some form of brand recognition on SE's part.

Yeah I would be really interested to know whether it was a personal decision or a company decision to do that as his name really does feel like it is being sold to be a type of branding which can be both a good and bad thing. Not a bad thing for Nomura clearly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back