• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Terraforming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Keybladerz

Terraforming- To transform a landscape on another planet into one having the characteristics of landscapes on Earth.

Some say that scientists are working on terraforming Mars. I personaly don't believe because we first must learn every detail of life and Earth. Plus, we have our own problems here on Earth. How are we supposed to care of another planet if we can barly care for our own. I like the idea and all, but that would take millenias before we get anything accomplished.
Discussion?

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
Terra forming on the scale in which Mars would need is not too far off, but a better investment is to start closer to home. Prime candidate is the moon, on a much smaller scale however.

I wouldn't mind the thought of it, in fact if the human race lasts long enough to overcome the hurdles in front of us I'm sure we can heavily terraform a planet such as Mars in about 500 or so years depending on the Green house gases needed to heat up the planet (which is not a hard task considering how much damage we can do to our atmosphere in so little time). And in another 500 years actually make civilizations on that said planet.

Still before we can do this more studies have to be made on gravity, energy and activity of the planet; not to mention other crucial information.

I approve of terraforming, but in this day and age we're just not ready to put a permanent home base on Mars. We're having enough problems regulating conditions on Earth as it is.

Joe_Keybladerz

Professionaly said iridium, bravo. I think that you have a better explanation than I do. (=D) Not only that but many also say that Earth will have an end and that is near. We have to consider this. Let research and scientists do the the calculations of the possibilities.

Iridium

Awards
That's what I get for watching the Discovery Channel ;P but I do believe that one of these possibilities will end the human race as we know it.

1) 99942 Apophis - A hit and miss chance, but if it is successful in hitting us most of human life is doomed.

2) Global Warming- I'm not too worried about this as the effects have yet to be shown in full scale and all we have left to base those effects on are research--however it's a touchy subject so I'll leave it at that.

3) Yellow Stone- it's a ticking timebomb in itself, and as such shouldn't be taken lightly, the effects will be catastrophic if it erupts..but that's a maybe, we'll just have to wait and see on this one.

Other then that lets just leave the apocalyptic talk to the actual thread. However in the future, depending on the technology I wouldn't mind seeing a base on Europa; all we have to do is figure out a way to by pass Jupiter's radiation belt.

Joe_Keybladerz

I was once wished that I could swim on a planet that was covered in fresh waters. With only underwater domes that carry cities to live in. And where farming can be done on manmade lands that float around like boats and where there can be cities in the skies. Oh, that would be the life.

Iridium

Awards
Well, for that matter, oceans would be possible by the time the Sun enters the Red Giant phase. However I doubt our race will last for 5 billion or so years. There's always Titan as well.

Joe_Keybladerz

I guess our end was ment to be. But its not wrong to think of what might have been achived if our race just lived enough to escape Earth and live in an uninfested planet. Where no nuclear arms lay. I say, the world would be better if we all got along since our very beginning. Then we might have achieved terraforming another planet ages ago.

very differentiable
Awards
Mars' core has solidified and doesn't move anymore. Living there would kill us and there is no possibility of creating a magnetic field, you'd need a huge power plant alone to create one. Then make two of that, one plant would barely cover half of the planet. We're not going anywhere for a long time.

Still before we can do this more studies have to be made on gravity

Newton's universal law actually is all we need, so that's not the problem anymore.

Last edited:

Iridium

Awards
Whoops, I meant the full effects of gravity on the human body; that's what I intended to say.

Joe_Keybladerz

Yes, I know. But we might have that kind of technology by the time they terraform a planet because scientists arent stupid. Or else we wouldnt call them scientists. Let research and the scientists determine what they can do, we're not scientists to say anything, we're just making opinions and making theories. keep this in mind, ikkuh2.

very differentiable
Awards
Whoops, I meant the full effects of gravity on the human body; that's what I intended to say.

It's ok, mistakes exist to be learnt from.

Yes, I know. But we might have that kind of technology by the time they terraform a planet because scientists arent stupid. Or else we wouldnt call them scientists. Let research and the scientists determine what they can do, we're not scientists to say anything, we're just making opinions and making theories. keep this in mind.

As long as fossil fuel runs out, nuclear energy is too expensive/unsafe/complex and alternative energy produces DC, we ain't going nowhere my friend.

very differentiable
Awards
Some are improving solar cells (DC), other try to improve windmills (unreliable). Then we've got the physicists working on fusion (too damn expensive and still several problems to solve) and the physicists who already talk about dark energy (all too clear). Don't get your hopes up, it won't happen until after your dead, probably long after you'r dead, if the technology does what we excpet and has no bad sides.

Iridium

Awards
Well there is always that plethora of Helium-3 on the Moon; however harvesting that energy and transporting it to Earth is a dilemma in itself. Also it would be a temporary energy source, considering the trends on Earth (and if there is enough on the moon to supply the planet) it would only last about 500 or so years.

I have to find the data to be completely accurate though; haven't looked over Helium-3 in a long time.

A

Azrael

In order to extend the lifespan of the only true Hominid species left Homo Sapiens Sapien "Modern Human", it is necessary to avoid extinction like many billions of species before us and expand our reach to the solar system, and maybe to the entire Galaxy if need be.

very differentiable
Awards
That takes centuries, or even millenia. We're talking fusion here, we barely got able to fuse deuterium and tritium.

Joe_Keybladerz

So many Light-Years to cover! We might not be able to live long enough to see how things will be done to the planets and what they invent to revolutionize energy use without hurting the Earth in any manner. If they succeed in doing this, we may have our answer to terraforming a planet. its all a matter of time. But, then again, this type of technology might not be invented in our time period.

Iridium

Awards
ALIENS!!

*Cough*

But hey, who's to say it won't?

I'd just be pleased with Biodomes underwater. That's a fresh start to say the least.

Joe_Keybladerz

Now you get it. Its cool to think what awesome things can be invented, underwater biodomes and gravity defieing sky cities. That would be awesome.

Iridium

Awards
Well as for space colonization, we could turn to the Dyson Cylinder IE most of the colonies in the Universal Century of the Gundam series. It would take a long time to actually build one at such a scale but that's more so the long term type of project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back