• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Terraforming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Keybladerz

That have to be done before terraforming a planet because we couldnt just transport the inventions and goods from Earth to Mars all in one time... that would be catastrophic.

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
That was the intended purpose of my post; this would be pre planet terraforming.

very differentiable
Awards
Did you still discuss this shit. Even if global warming is true, we could solve it with the tons of possibilities there are. We won't leave the earth, to send more then three persons to space in one trip it costs a shitload of money nobody is willing to spend.

Joe_Keybladerz

True, but we are not talking about now. We are talking about things that might happen years from now, and the idea of Terraforming. We're just discussing, it doesn't mean that we believe terraforming will happen. (-.-)

Mistearea

Fear the Mist
Shifting through the spaces like only Mist can.
Hmm. One idea for teraforming that I have, on Mars at anyrate, is to just nuke the polar icecaps. Nuke them and the ice will melt and spread water across the planet, and possible a few other things. Since all of the noticable water is frozen on the caps, just release it and it will change the weather patterns and everything and quite possibly make it closer to that of Earth. As for the moon, I don't think that would ever happen because there's not really anything to work with up there. I believe that to truly tereform a place, there must first be something to work with. Mars already has an atmosphere that is closely resembled to that of Earth, granted it doesn't have the oxygen content that we need, and is almost just like us, from what I know of science class.

But just melt the water and you not only get hydrogen, but also oxygen. The minerals washed around by the water would help to get the planet ready for vegitation and thus produce an normal means of life. And as for the radiation, in the time that it would take for it to dissipate, the plantlife would have already grown and make it harmless. As for a means to deliver the nuke, just look back on history. They sent a probe to mars so just use that same method but have it aim at the center of the ice caps. That way, in the high chance that the nuke were to miss the center, damages would actually be kept to a minimum and provide a greater margin to support human life.

If nothing else, just use it as a test subject for future possible tereformation since it already resembles Earth so much.

very differentiable
Awards
There is no need to use weapons to do that, and the radiation does stay for a while (chernobyl anyone). We can just create a huge lense system to concentrate sunlight on the poles. And for the water thing, we can't get oxygen out of it unless we use elektrolysis to break the bonds and to do that on a large scale we need a huge amount of electrical energy. And then we'd be left with pretty dangerous and highly reactive hydrogen gas.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Nuking a planet we intend to one day inhabit sounds like one of the dumbest thing's I've ever heard.

Also, to note: Mar's moon, Phobos, will, in an amount of time I'm unsure of, fall down to the surface of Mars and impact with it, making one hell of a mess for any terraforming or colonies already established there.

very differentiable
Awards
Lol, fleeing from one disaster and then running into another. We should really stick to solving the problems here. After all, evolution would yet again have to take place for the human race to fit the harsh conditions and it will take millions of years before humans can sustain the environment.

Mr. Wilhelm

Also Sprach Zarathustra
Website
www.animus-sorrow.org
Terraforming could be the failsafe, to preserve our kind even in case of destruction of this planet.

But well, they shouldn't be thinking to this too much to this right now when we have no way to terraform any planet.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Or it could be a better idea to preserve our planet and stop killing it and each other.

Iridium

Awards
It's plausible if we only work around the fact that there's no magnetic field.

Joe_Keybladerz

I've heard that if you get a copper spear to twirl fast enough, it generates a magnetic field. So if you get a giant copper sphere to twirl fast enough in both the north pole and south pole of mars, it can just work. And the copper stuff, I saw it on the history channel. =D

Iridium

Awards
It would have to be done on a massive scale and would need a large output of energy just to keep the generator going. God forbid we somehow jump start plate tectonics again, we'll just need something artificial to make a magnetic field; more cost efficient.

I like where you're heading with this though.

Joe_Keybladerz

Mhmm, it all has to do with science and research. Im telling you research, expirements and other things can give you ideas that can lead to other reseacrh and expirements and ideas until you reach a conclussion and a resolution. With this you may have the key to getting another livable planet.

Iridium

Awards
Or making that said planet/moon a hell of a lot worse then it was before. That's why I fear terraforming moons such as Titan to be hazardous.

Iridium

Awards
Titan does, it has its own atmosphere, mimicking the early Earths, however gravity and the fact the planets surface is covered with natural gas is a problem in itself. The lack of a magnetic field isn't a huge issue because of its distance from the sun though.

Joe_Keybladerz

Hmmm, terraforming a moon sounds wierd to me. But I like the idea. I also like the moons name, Titan. It reminds me of the greek mythology I study so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back