• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

terra/xehanort & m.x

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

iLeen

Awards
Retcon is the method, expanding the universe is the reason behind the method.

Things like it being established as fact that Ansem SoD was the same as Ansem the Wise, but then when the universe started expanding and they needed a new villain for KH2 and to explain further what happened in RG they did essentially retcon a few things.

Personally, I don't know why the word "retcon" is taken so hard. Retcons are are only bad if they're unnecessary or done badly.

Perhaps because the word itself just carries a negative connotation to it.

*unnecessary comparison*
Take for example, "assertive". People may think of it as "aggressive" (probably because they sound similar) but it really means to have a confident and forceful personality.

But I do approve of what's been happening in KH so far. KH3D went a bit above and beyond, but I still like the story nonetheless.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
Yeah, people retconing so not always a bad thing. Every story has retcons. The reason why is so they don't reveal everything about the story at one time. The author is intentionally leading the audience to believe one thing for the sake of keeping the truth secret until later on in the story. Like how we thought it was a memory voldemort in Tom Riddle's diary in HP2, but later on we find out it was actually a fragment of his soul and the diary was a horcrux. It's a retcon but it was intentional and there is nothing wrong with it.

Like with Obi Wan telling Luke that Vader killed his dad and then we find out Vader is really his dad.

If we didn't have retcons and they just spilled every secret all in one installement then stories would be very boring. Especially in KH where the mysteries and complex story is one of the things that keep people wanting the next game and keeps us guessing while we wait. That is part of the fun of a story.
---------------------------------------------

Though I do think the time travel wasn't needed. There are other ways they could have had Xemnas and Ansem exist alongside MX and NeoTerranort.

One method they could have used is what I call "The Tom Riddle Diary Method." Just like the fragment of Voldemort's soul was draining Ginny Weasley's life force in order to become his own person and take on a physical form again. Well a XH did something a little similar. Remember that a fragment of XH was left in Riku's heart up until Ansem the Wise's machine blew up. Well Nomura could have easily said that XH was feeding off of Riku's heart that whole year and when the machine blew up XH was expelled but the explosion from KH also strengthened the fragment of XH and allowed it to become it's own person, a new XH. After all Ansem the Wise did say anything could happen.

Now Xemnas is a little more difficult to bring back, but i'm sure there is something in the series that could be tweaked as an excuse for how he could exist alongside MX and Terranort.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I also don't know why there has to be such a fuss made because of Xemnas, Ansem and MX co-existing when we have all important things spilled out for us in the game anyways.

A heart is the proof of one's existence and holds apparently the mind/consciousness of a being. It was said as early as KH2 Ultimania by Nomura that Ansem and Xemnas have different minds.
Furthermore, according what we learn in DDD from both Xemnas' and Ansem the Wise's explanations anything can give birth to a heart if it experiences enough and has enough connections with others, this concept was already hinted at in Coded and more subtly before.
Just as Sora and Roxas co-existed, which had only to cease because of the memory mess started by Naminé and that was complicated by Xion's leeching powers, it isn't beyond the logic that Xehanort, Ansem and Xemnas can also exist concurrently with each other due to them clearly being different entities despite having the same source.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
Since Nomura has hinted a distinction between the mindset of Xemnas and Ansem, I'm hoping he'll develop their characters a bit more in KH3. In this game, they were basically MX's lackeys, which to me defeats the whole point of them being separate entities. Hopefully towards the end of MX's plans, they'll emphasize their individuality and push for their own motives.

kingmickey88

Since Nomura has hinted a distinction between the mindset of Xemnas and Ansem, I'm hoping he'll develop their characters a bit more in KH3. In this game, they were basically MX's lackeys, which to me defeats the whole point of them being separate entities. Hopefully towards the end of MX's plans, they'll emphasize their individuality and push for their own motives.

well terra was destroyed and ansem and xemnas were created. MX said he has chosen more other roads as well. so their is more to him than meets the eye. im sure they will explore more into MX and maybe his pawns as well.

Though I do think the time travel wasn't needed. There are other ways they could have had Xemnas and Ansem exist alongside MX and NeoTerranort.

One method they could have used is what I call "The Tom Riddle Diary Method." Just like the fragment of Voldemort's soul was draining Ginny Weasley's life force in order to become his own person and take on a physical form again. Well a XH did something a little similar. Remember that a fragment of XH was left in Riku's heart up until Ansem the Wise's machine blew up. Well Nomura could have easily said that XH was feeding off of Riku's heart that whole year and when the machine blew up XH was expelled but the explosion from KH also strengthened the fragment of XH and allowed it to become it's own person, a new XH. After all Ansem the Wise did say anything could happen.

Now Xemnas is a little more difficult to bring back, but i'm sure there is something in the series that could be tweaked as an excuse for how he could exist alongside MX and Terranort.

i see what you mean. he using horacruxes. terra was one of them and used his heartless as well as his nobody. interesting stuff. instead of spliting the soul into 7 pieces he did 13 pieces instead as well as his younger version.

so... here is another question, since the series is based on the battles between MX and Sora. How did MX excatly cause everything to what has happened in each game. dispite creating Organization XIII but mainly what im wondering is, the heartless, nobodies, the disney villians doing their own goals and his return how did he organize all that???

i keep reading and reading stuff but i seem to misunderstand and find it confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back