• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Teen Titans Go!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Comic-Con: Teen Titans Go! Not A Continuation of Original Series - IGN

Beware the Batman isn’t the only new addition to the DC Nation block; Teen Titans Go! is also in the pipeline. Producers Michael Jelenic and Aaron Horvath were at Comic-Con to discuss the new animated series, and they were quick to point out that it’s different from the original Teen Titans animated series. It’s comedic and has absolutely no ties to its predecessor except for the characters (and the actors voicing them) and won’t necessarily follow any continuity established with the characters in that show.

Jelenic explains, “This series basically takes those core characters. We’re going to have the same voice cast, the same characterization as the original Teen Titans and we’re putting them in new situations, primarily comedic situations. There’s almost zero fighting. If they are fighting, they’re fighting over stuff like who gets to make a sandwich. They use their powers, but they use them primarily in a comedic way. And also Robin is kind of made the fool in this series. He’s the only guy who doesn’t have superpowers, so that’s a big insecurity for him.”

Given the changes and that Teen Titans have some pretty dedicated fans, Horvath said, “We’re terrified of what the hardcore fan base is going to think. There’s no continuity. In fact, the marching orders were this is not that series. We’re not linking up. Even if we tried, our tone is so different it wouldn’t match up.” Jelenic knows some fans will be disappointed but offered this reassuring viewpoint: “What I really think the appeal of the old show was is the five main characters and how they interacted. That is definitely carried over. Those five characters were made for sort of a sitcom format. They’re sort of old friends, and that’s what we’re trying to go for. We’re trying to go for a bunch of people’s first year at college sort of tone.” They’re all living together away from adult supervision. Hijinks will ensue.

They producers said they've definitely been influenced by the New Teen Titans shorts that have already appeared in the DC Nation block but added that even those are too inside. Viewers won’t need to know anything about the DC universe to enjoy the show. As opposed to Jelenic, Horvath doesn’t have a comic book background. His background is with MAD TV. They were intentionally paired to play off each other. Horvath says one reason he’s involved is because they knew he wouldn’t be precious about jokes. Jelenic reinforced that: “They want to stay away from being too loyal to these old shows. They don’t want someone from the old show to put in a joke that only they would get. Aaron has no loyalty.” He can look at the universe with a fresh perspective.

As far as the format, the show will consist of two 11-minute stories, a la Adventure Time and Regular Show. They will be self-contained and there won't be any themes or overreaching arcs that stretch across the season. Horvath teased, “We don’t believe in themes.”

At the panel, Jelenic and Horvath reviewed the above and confirmed they won’t be pulling characters from outside the Titans-verse just yet. They’ve got plenty to keep them busy. Jelenic said, “We want to mostly stick to the characters the old show had; I don’t think we’re going to be bringing in outside characters. There will just be a couple of exceptions.” Trigon will definitely appear. They also teased some images of the Titans' apartment, and the humorous tone shined through in the art.

Teen Titans Go! will join DC Nation in 2013.

I don't....I can't.....what?

If not for Young Justice, I'd be rioting this fucking instant.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
I know. If I remember correctly, I was the one to break the news to the forum last time too. Still, this had more details, and made me even more upset :/

The zero fighting is what killed me, I might try the show out, but I don't know if I even want to

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Yeah i don't know how i feel about this....
Kinda reminds me those old cartoon cartoon blocks that just had popular characters doing nothing but living "normal" lives doin' everyday stuff

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I actually... don't hate this idea that much after reading the article.

It shows that they are treating it like an entirely different show, and I'd like to see a comedy featuring largely mundane/trivial events blown out of proportion in the hands of superheroes.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
The zero fighting is what killed me

That's what got me, too. ;-; I wouldn't have minded had they pulled a situation like how Spectacular Spider-Man was replaced with Ultimate Spider-Man since, even though they're very different, Ultimate still has a story and action while seeming like a mostly comedic show.

Maybe it's me just being harsh, but I sort of hope this gets cancelled. I love the characters and all, but if the most fighting is whoever is gonna make a sandwich... What's the point? And if they're going for an Adventure Time/Regular Show vibe I'm definitely not on board. I hate those shows with a fiery passion.

I mean, what's the point of a superhero team show if there's no action or story? At least there's still Young Justice, so I guess I'm content.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
That article just confirmed how much I don't want to see this show.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I would have preferred a Tiny Titans TV series than a comedy series based on the old Teen Titans cartoon. They could have still had comedy and a bit of crime-fighting action.

I think what bothers me the most about this is the possibility of little-to-no new characters. It seriously wouldn't hurt to add one or two characters. They definitely did have a wealth of them in the original series, so it isn't like they NEED more characters. It just would be nice to see a new face every now and then.

(they should totes make tiny titans shorts since TTG exists now)

Apprehensive as hell. Like always.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Was anyone honestly expecting a serious continuation of the previous show in any way? lol

that said, i might youtube this but i'm not particularly excited

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
The lack of continuation isn't one of my issues with the concept, that's something I'm actually thankful for.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
I don't mind that it isn't a continuation, either. I don't even mind that it's a comedy - I love that idea. The fact that there's practically no action is what gets me since I can't see much, if any, story being developed other than some sitcom Three's Company like situations.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
I'll probably see this just to see how it turns. Don't have much of an opinion on this being purely comedy.

I can understand how other people feel about the lack of a serious plot and tone though -- especially the ones who are unable to purchase and read comic books for their own reasons. Doesn't help with the various changes the New 52 has made.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, I'm not bothered by it being comedy at all. I'm bothered by the idea it might be mindless comedy with nothing else to support it. It is clear this show was made for children considering the rest of the DC Nation shows feel more appropriate for a young teen to adult audience.

The thing is shows like Adventure Time and the now-completed Batman: The Brave and the Bold contain action and yet are extremely comedic and have silly adventures. So why can't this show do that?

They could have gone with a completely brand new series (liketinytitans) rather than basing it on a old series and have to face stepping on the toes of old fans.

In other news:

tumblr_m78dycP8fN1qhkif7o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m78dycP8fN1qhkif7o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
My main issue is definitely that these are pretty much mindless and purely comedy driven episodes about an established group of superheroes who do no fighting and don't use their powers. I really don't understand the point of that.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
as one who has spent a lot of time with anime

i can tell you that these kinds of shows can be pretty damn hilarious in the right hands :3

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I would use FMP and FMP Fumoffu as an example of action-comedy to comedy series done right, but Fumoffu still had some action and Sosuke being a "military nut".

If this show can do it right (and not be like the shorts they've already released because after the first one I was kinda over them), it could maybe be okay. For now, I'm not really interested.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
My best advice: wait until Young Justice starts back up, then air this right before it. A nice little spurt of comedy could be nice right before the heart pounding suspense with the story of YJ. Besides, the original was one of the few show that can really make me laugh repeatedly, so maybe a lot of mindless comedy won't hurt anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back