• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Taxing Video games will end Knife violence?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will a Taxin Video games in the UK end violence in the UK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamTheWise

Oh right, I can change this....
Website
earltheandroid.tumblr.com
Taxing videogames will stop knife crime, claims illogical man
A tax on videogames would combat knife crime in UK, claims a government advisor who lost his own son to inner city youth crime. According to the rather outrageous suggestion, videogames are "too cheap" and this makes it easy for children to buy them, which in turn causes them to become violent psychopaths. Typical logic from a man thinking with his heart and not his brain.
"I have young people who I mentor and I see them go up and buy the games and it saddens me that they are being able to have such a negative impact," claims Richard Taylor, who personally advices Gordon Brown on knife crime issues. He also criticized rap music, claiming that music, "especially from America," is far too negative.
First of all, I'd like to just say that I work, earn a good amount of money, and I find videogames too expensive. In the UK, the latest Xbox 360 or PS3 game can already sell for £50. Proposing an even greater tax, on top of the value-added-tax that is already factored into a videogame price, is incredibly unfair and punishes everybody for the sake of a few criminals.
That doesn't even factor into the completely illogical idea that videogames cause knife crime. In a recent Destructoid feature, we researched murders that had been tenuously linked to videogames and discovered that only twenty-five deaths had involved games, and most of that involvement was circumstantial at best. Twenty-five deaths in all of human history compared to the thousands of deaths that happen in the UK every year is a pathetic number, and trying to claim that games cause knife crime is even more so.
Go ahead, make it so children can't affort videogames. You know what'll happen? Knife crime rates will stay the same, and I can guarantee you that cases of theft and mugging will go up. Idiots.
Once again, we have a politician claiming there is a link between Video games and violence. This time in the UK. The politician who is the main force behind the idea lost his own son to inner city youth violence and is trying to prevent it from happening to anyone else. This I agree with and understand, but taxing video games? Seriously, there are worst things on television and the internet.
And I don’t know about the rest of you, but games are pricey as it is already worldwide, and I doubt this will decrease the amount of violence.
I am going to get off my soapbox now, so what do you people thing. Will adding a tax to video games stop violence?
Discuss
[edit]
In the poll I meant to say
"Will a tax on video games in the UK end ...

Efflictim

cuck
Awards
Taxing video games will not end this. That is like the stupidest thing anyone could come up with.

Anyway... good thread WtW

S

Shadow Soldier

There's no relationship between games and violence. Maybe its the adults and media themselves are the ones to blame.

Sapphire Skies

Sucked Back In
I would think taxing video games would make it worse.
I mean charging tax on them might make the gamers get more violent because they never had to pay taxes on the games before.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
I blame Youtube. Tax that.

Oh wait, you can't.

Really, they should actually do some research instead of spewing nonsense.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Video games are a lousy scapegoat for society's problems.

Movies are usually cheaper and easier to get.

I'll be so happy when the generation that grew up without technology dies out, for this reason and more.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Pfeh. Idiots.

Why does everyone apparently have to be infulenced by the media in order to become a murderer?

Whatever happened to just being crazy?

Axelfan008

i doubt it. They ought to have public service announcements about it, or something, sorta like "The more you know" kinda thing.

Hero_of_Fate

The Flaming C
Website
mariomedia.net
How many studies need to be done, that discredit the link, to stop people from suggesting stupid ideas. Hell, we don't even need them. Read the BBFC/PEGI(British/European ESRB equivalent) ratings, for god's sake. I have an idea, let's put ridiculous taxes on everything, because everything can cause something that might be negative. Best idea ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back