• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Switzerland bans violent video games\ Australian Attorney-General Atkinson Resigns

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

VirusCoreHacker

Switzerland bans violent video games - GAMER.BLORGE

^above said:
Switzerland doesn’t like conflict, not even in video games. Which is why the European country has now banned all violent video games in a move sure to upset the nation’s gamers.

Last month saw the Swiss National Council set in motion calls for a ban on any video games that “requires cruel acts of violence against humans and human-like creatures for in-game success”. Which would be a hell of a lot of games, including all shooters which, as the name suggests, means gamers have to successfully shoot NPCs to progress.

According to MCV, the law has now been passed, although the exact details haven’t yet been decided on. It seems likely, however, that any game with a PEGI 16+ or PEGI 18+ certificate will be banned from being produced, distributed or sold in Switzerland.

Switzerland is known for not entering into international wars, and for having many laws designed to make the country some kind of bureaucratic haven. So I guess this was to be expected. Still, it seems a little harsh to say the least.

'World of Warcraft' and Other MMOs Taken Off Australian Shelves

^ said:
In Australia, if a video game doesn't have an Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) rating, typically, it's not carried on store shelves. Similarly, if a game has anything over an MA15+ rating (suitable for children 15 and up), it's also not carried in stores. The exception? A number of massively multiplayer online games, including the one and only 'World of Warcraft.'

Well, that is, until recently. Any and all unrated massively multiplayer online games have now been banned from store shelves until they receive a proper OFLC rating. Whether the games previously being sold on shelves without a rating was a pure accident or not, the fact is, it's no longer the case. Blizzard, maker of 'WoW,' noted on its forums that it "will always respect the laws of the countries in which we operate." Given the popularity of the game, and the lack of explicit violence and gore, we expect the game will be back on shelves sooner rather than later.

^ said:
In Australia, if a video game doesn't have an Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC) rating, typically, it's not carried on store shelves. Similarly, if a game has anything over an MA15+ rating (suitable for children 15 and up), it's also not carried in stores.

Australian Attorney-General Atkinson Resigns, Opening Door for End to Video Game 'Bans' - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

^ said:
Australian attorney-general and violent video games opponent Michael Atkinson has resigned, the Sydney Morning Herald reports, potentially opening the path for an adults-only video games rating and an end to 'bans' and censorship down under.

Australia currently has no equivalent of the adults-only 'R18+' rating available to films for video games, which meant that games deemed by too mature for the highest rating of R15+ could not legally be sold, rented or demonstrated--effectively banning them.

Atkinson has become a villainous figure as the only of Australia's attorneys-general to publicly oppose the creation of an R18+ rating--which requires a unanimous decision--and reportedly receiving a torrent of abuse and threats for his decisions.

Numerous high-profile titles have been affected by the lack of an adults-only rating. Valve Software's zombie bloodbath Left 4 Dead 2 was famously deemed too gory for R15+ and when its appeal failed, the developer released a de-gored version.

Fallout 3 had to tweak its representation of drugs before it was classified R15+ and appeal by publisher Sega was necessary for Aliens vs. Predator to receive its rating.

While Atkinson will still hold his seat in Parliament until 2014, he will be replaced as attorney-general for South Australia immediately--though of course there's no guarantee that his replacement will be any more fond of violent video games and legislation changes could take time.

In December 2009, the Australian government solicited the public for their opinions on an R18 classification for video games. A report based on the feedback is in the works.

Atkinson will be spending his new-found free time with his family.

Healthcare passes in the US

Switzerland bans "violent" video games

Australian AG steps down.

bad/good, bad, kinda-good day?

Comments?

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
WoW hasn't been banned in Australia. That's an old story that was never followed through on.

Essentially, the game exists on the shelf as per a sort of gentlemens agreement. The classification board understands it's difficult to classify because of the uncertain nature of online play. Our classification system currently isn't designed for those types of games, but it's still sold because the OFLC understand that Blizzard's content still falls within the M range.

As for Michael Atkinson - thank god. Now all we need is another SCAG meeting and we should be on our way.

Roa

piece of dying ember
Awards
I'm not shocked. Infact, if I were the king.ruler (whatever they have. XDDD) of Swiss land. I would do the same thing. I know (or observed) when people play less violent video games (Not KH or FF i mean, I mean like Halo or Call of Duty) they tend to have better attitudes.

Imho.

And personally, I wouldn't mind living there. It would mean I wouldn't have to hear people go on about halo. XDD.

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Holy shit. what idiots are running those countries?

I'm inclined to agree with this, however unsubtle it is. Surely they have more important things to do with government time than ban World of Warcraft? People are going to be exposed to the 'horrors' of life eventually, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back