• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sushi

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagayaki

Awards
galore_mag_sushi_jan72015.jpg

Do do you like sushi? What was your first experience? What are your favorite types? And your favorite places?

Actually, I barely remember my first experience with sushi, but I thought I'd hate it. I remember this one lady hounding me about my chopsticks the first time I went to a sushi bar myself. And I remember reading an article about sushi manners.

-Do not smoke in a sushi bar.
-The waitress does not handle the food, only the drinks and money.
-Only eat sushi in one bite, unless it's that big (and Japanese sushi usually isn't).
-It's ok for foreigners to ask for forks, but do not ever ask for knives. This will imply that the food is so tough, that it can't be eaten with regular chopsticks.
-Do not make 'wasabi soup' with your soy sauce. This will make Japanese chefs cringe. The soy sauce is meant for the fish part, and the wasabi is usually in the sushi already, or not put in at all. In Japan, they almost never serve wasabi on the side.
-If you've never had sushi before, start with the shrimp nigiri or vegetable rolls, or the California roll. And then try the simple raw fish rolls like tuna and salmon. And work your way to the nigiri and huge mixed fish rolls. And if that's not daring enough for you, try the more exotic fish.
-Sushi is more about the rice than it is about the fish. It's supposed to serve the same purpose as a sandwich. There are rice-only rolls such as Inarizushi, wrapped in fried tofu.
-Most people, even in Japan don't know this, but you don't need chopsticks to eat sushi.
-The fish on nigiri isn't supposed to be that big. In fact, they do a fan test to make sure it doesn't fly off the rice.

Last edited:

noxy

I adore sushi.

I tried a California Roll when I first got into it back in high school. I know, it isn't really raw fish, but it's a good start. And from there I went- I tried squid, eel, everything.

But now, my favorites are spicy yellowfin, spicy salmon, and different kinds of special rolls (as long as they're not deep fried cuz ugh). I'm not as much into the eel and such anymore, but yeah.

I don't ever do the "wasabi soup".. I'm not much for that.

There's a lovely little place just down the street from us that has the most awesome salad. You know the kind- with the ginger dressing and iceberg lettuce.. This place uses a spring mix instead of just plain iceberg and they add in thinly sliced onion. And their dressing is much lighter tasting than what I've always had.

I also have an obsession with pickled ginger. I love it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I tried sushi years ago. My aunt gave me some California Rolls. Hate California Rolls. At the time, I didn't because I was young it was food, and I liked artificial crab for some insane reason. The second time I had tempura shrimp rolls...

It wasn't until recent years I tried raw sushi. I've always wanted it and I craved it like crazy until I finally got some one day. Mackerel, salmon, tuna, and cooked eel all at once.

Now I eat nothing but mackerel and eel when I go to a sushi bar. I try a lot of special rolls alongside my favorite pieces of sushi but nothing has really stuck out at me as a favorite to return to. Recently I've tried baked salmon rolls and they were okay. One place I go to is a bit too heavy on the tobiko and it makes certain specials too salty.

There is this nice place a city over with only 6 classic kinds of sushi for like $0.70-0.80 a piece and I adore the place because they are one of the few places that has saba (mackerel) and inari (aburaage, fried tofu, stuffed with rice) which are my all-time favorites.

I'm always using little dabbles of wasabi with my sushi these days and never use the soy sauce except with salmon and tuna rolls. I love the sweet flavor of really well-made wasabi and the big kick from it.

Fatty tuna and fatty salmon is probably a guilty pleasure of mine (but still can't compare to saba) and I am also really in love with octopus (though I usually order it as a side to get a big chunk of it grilled which tastes delicious and kind of like steak + lobster all in one)

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
If I could eat sushi every single day, I absolutely would. Unagi is my love.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
My sister loves it. We've only had price chopper sushi, its alright. I like the brown rice, wasabi hot as shit but edible.

I have tried countless times, never learned how to use chopsticks.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I absolutely love sushi but sadly there aren't any sushi restaurants close to me (that aren't hella expensive) so I have to make do with store bought sushi most of the time, which is still good but I swear they salt that sushi to hell and back. It's kinda disgusting.

noxy

I got into making my own sushi back in high school.. My sister bought me a kit that came with the tatami mat, a box of nori, soba noodles, packets of miso soup, a tube of wasabi, a jar of sushi rice, pickled ginger, toasted sesame seeds, and rice vinegar. And several pairs of disposable chopsticks. And she got me Japanese dishware and Hello Kitty chopsticks for Christmas and we found an asian market that sold sushi grade fish. I wasn't half bad at it. Certainly didn't have the proper knives for expertly cutting up a fish into those even rectangles or whatever, but for a high schooler with no real cooking experience, I wasn't bad.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I got into making my own sushi back in high school.. My sister bought me a kit that came with the tatami mat, a box of nori, soba noodles, packets of miso soup, a tube of wasabi, a jar of sushi rice, pickled ginger, toasted sesame seeds, and rice vinegar. And several pairs of disposable chopsticks. And she got me Japanese dishware and Hello Kitty chopsticks for Christmas and we found an asian market that sold sushi grade fish. I wasn't half bad at it. Certainly didn't have the proper knives for expertly cutting up a fish into those even rectangles or whatever, but for a high schooler with no real cooking experience, I wasn't bad.
Can we be best friends and you make us sushi? ;__;

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I like sushi a lot.

I'm not sure what kind I've had per say because, it was from a Kroger in a more fancy area. I really like the salmon kind with wasabi over it with some cucumber and seaweed wrapped up together in rice. The salmon is probably my favorite because, it has a sweet taste to it. I really want to try some sushi with shrimp next time but, I was craving the salmon sushi really badly a few days ago and need to get it again soon. I think the first time I had sushi, I didn't like it as much but, after a few more times I grew to like it more despite how spicy it could be. I also like dumplings. xD

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There are a lot of sushi places in the Chicago area and I love sushi. I used to not, and only really went to the americanized fake crab fake shrimp rolls [though i still will eat those]. I like traditional Japanese and American sushi.

There's this all-you-can eat sushi place near me that's pretty good for the price, and they serve them on little boats that spin around so you can grab them. Their octopus is super good along with their raw fish ones. But I also enjoy their more American ones like there's this Deep Fried California Roll with spicy mayo on it and they're so good. A lot of their American ones are good.

I remember going there one time and oh my god this lady plops down with her husband and thE ENTIRE TIME and EVERY DISH that passed them asked the poor sushi chef that was obviously busy preparing "is that cooked? is this one cooked?"
he even offered to give her a menu including the ones and even pointed to the pictures that they provide you to say which ones they are or to make ones specially for her and she was just like "no no that's fine don't worry about it, but is this one cooked?"

i died.

I think the absolute best sushi I've had was this sushi for two I shared with my friend when we went to Boston. The fish tastes so good there my god. It was 4 rolls of about maybe 10 different sushi and it was so amazingly good. I tried eel and a lot of raw fish ones I usually stayed away from and I didn't even use soy sauce I was just in heaven. I almost died there because their takoyaki was amazing as well.

fuck my post is longer than like everyone else...

noxy

Can we be best friends and you make us sushi? ;__;

:D Yes!

I'm always cooking. I cook a ton. XD come over! Lol

(srsly tho.. I basically live in my kitchen)

Oh man... When we lived in the main bit of Queens, there was a sushi place that delivered on one of my food ordering apps. And theyd even deliver beer and sake and wine!

Sushi for 2 with sake and wine? Yes please!

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Sushi making is so fun I'm really jealous. I got a similar [cheaper] kit back in the day but I was in high school and couldn't afford ingredients needed. It's a damn shame. But I've made it later on with some friends. We pretty much sat there like fat asses eating an entire roll to ourselves.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I would love to try sushi but love it.

But then also the idea of raw fish and everything just puts me off.

I don't even like eating cold meat for the most part.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I would love to try sushi but love it.

But then also the idea of raw fish and everything just puts me off.

I don't even like eating cold meat for the most part.
You kinda just have to try it because the combination is a palette thing more than anything. This is why you wanna reset your palette with pieces of ginger that they provide you. And there are many rolls that are purely vegetables and rice, or different meats that are actually cooked, though those are usually American takes on sushi, like the deep fried one that I mentioned.

SwagStarIV

I just logged in... And got so many trophies
Awards
Yoooooo! Sushi is amazing!!!! I can't say favorite, but I will say, whatever looks good, I eat it haha When I first tried it, it was... So God-awful. I was like, "Hey Dad whats that?" He was like, "Sushi. You never had sushi before?" Flashback continues...

Nope!
Well try this and tell me what you think.
What do I do? Eat it in one bite?
Yeah! hahaha
*Chomp*
>.>
Its alright. Whats that green stuff?
You put it on your sushi.
Whats it taste like? Is it sweet? Spicy?
Oh yeah. It's spicy.
Can I put a lot on there?
Huhmhuhm if you want.
*Add alot*
You sure you want that much?
Yep! ^_^
Alright.
*Chomp*
O.O >.>
That was pretty good! O_O *Ccccccc* *cccccc*
You want some water?
Mmhm! *Guzzling soda* *cccccc* Its not stopping!!! Its so hot!!! It wasn't even hot but then! *Water* I need a refill! Waiter!
Hahahahahahaha T_T
Where's the waiter! You didn't say it was that hot!
I tried to warn you.
Yeah! But not this hot! It doesn't even go away!
*Waitress arrives*
Can I get a refill?
Waitress: Mmhm. No problem.
Can you bring 2!
I told you not that much
Aaaaaaggghhh. My mouth!
Little Brother: Whats wrong?
He tried some sushi.
Waitress: Here you go
*Gulp* Oh my gosh! Its not stopping! *Second cup* *Aaaa* *aaa* *aaa*
Dad and Little brother laughing
You try it!
*Moments later...*
Little Brother: *aaaaaa* *aaaaa*
Hahahahaha
See!!

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
lol I am yet to try sushi, but after reading this thread, I REEEALLY want to try it! :<
From what I've read, it seems best to eat it with spicy, and drinking wine/sake? xD

Kagayaki

Awards
lol I am yet to try sushi, but after reading this thread, I REEEALLY want to try it! :<
From what I've read, it seems best to eat it with spicy, and drinking wine/sake? xD
I believe you should experiment and consider your own taste. Remember, sushi is not always about the fish. It's about the rice. It's meant to eat rice and fish or vegetables together without making a mess. There are non-fish sushi such as Inarizushi (rice stuffed in a fried tofu puff), Tamago (sweet puffy egg), and Kappa maki (cucumber roll). There is also the California roll (with imitation crab, cucumber, and avocado), and ebi (simply cooked shrimp on rice). After that, simply tuna and salmon is a good start for raw fish. I prefer California rolls with masago (smelt roe), and rolls with shrimp tempura, deep fried soft shell crab, and Unagi (freshwater eel with sweet sauce). I usually order the rainbow rolls and spider rolls. I could eat up to five rolls in one sitting! I would choose appetizers like age-dashi tofu (just deep fried tofu in sauce), edamame (soybeans), shrimp and vegetable tempura, or chicken yakitori. And green tea as a beverage. I hate sake. I tried it once, and it was the burniest alcohol I have EVER tasted! There is sweet sake, but I'm not taking any chances. Japanese beer is ok. Like Sapporo and Asahi, named after the cities they were brewed in. And of course, green tea ice cream for dessert!

In Japan, they never serve wasabi on the side, either in the sushi or not. In America, it's served on the side, next to pickled ginger. I'm not too fond of the taste, but ginger helps your stomach. It's more polite to put wasabi directly on the fish part of the sushi, rather than mixing it with soy sauce. There are rolls with spicy sauce on them like the spicy tuna or salmon roll. I personally think it's weird to put mayonnaise on sushi, but spicy mayo with deep fried soft shell crab is good. I would never consider cream cheese with sushi, though.

I want to go to that buffet again, but money is so tight right now...

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I believe you should experiment and consider your own taste. Remember, sushi is not always about the fish. It's about the rice. It's meant to eat rice and fish or vegetables together without making a mess. There are non-fish sushi such as Inarizushi (rice stuffed in a fried tofu puff), Tamago (sweet puffy egg), and Kappa maki (cucumber roll). There is also the California roll (with imitation crab, cucumber, and avocado), and ebi (simply cooked shrimp on rice). After that, simply tuna and salmon is a good start for raw fish. I prefer California rolls with masago (smelt roe), and rolls with shrimp tempura, deep fried soft shell crab, and Unagi (freshwater eel with sweet sauce). I usually order the rainbow rolls and spider rolls. I could eat up to five rolls in one sitting! I would choose appetizers like age-dashi tofu (just deep fried tofu in sauce), edamame (soybeans), shrimp and vegetable tempura, or chicken yakitori. And green tea as a beverage. I hate sake. I tried it once, and it was the burniest alcohol I have EVER tasted! There is sweet sake, but I'm not taking any chances. Japanese beer is ok. Like Sapporo and Asahi, named after the cities they were brewed in. And of course, green tea ice cream for dessert!

In Japan, they never serve wasabi on the side, either in the sushi or not. In America, it's served on the side, next to pickled ginger. I'm not too fond of the taste, but ginger helps your stomach. It's more polite to put wasabi directly on the fish part of the sushi, rather than mixing it with soy sauce. There are rolls with spicy sauce on them like the spicy tuna or salmon roll. I personally think it's weird to put mayonnaise on sushi, but spicy mayo with deep fried soft shell crab is good. I would never consider cream cheese with sushi, though.

I want to go to that buffet again, but money is so tight right now...

Oh, okay! Thanks for sharing that information, I'll take that into account when I FINALLY try it! :D

Kagayaki

Awards
I never had fatty tuna. Every place I went to either never carried it, ran out of it/wasn't in season, or was too expensive (7 dollars a piece!). I hope after the convention, I get to eat sushi. The Also Sushi Bar in the Hyatt O'hare is supposed to be good, even though it's pricey.

And I need to post more sushi pr0n.
menu3.jpg

o-SUSHI-facebook.jpg

nice-selection-of-sushi.jpg

SushiPlatter.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back