• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Survey: Would you play this?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Does this sound like a game you'd play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to put this, but I figured somebody would get on my case if I posted it in the video games section, and I'm assuming nobody would complain about it being here.

Anyway, I'm preparing to get started on a game idea that I've had kicking around in my head for a few months, but I wanted to conduct a survey to see if there would be a genuine interest from J-RPG fans. I realize that this wouldn't be the most scientific of polls, but I imagine that I would get at least some useful data from asking the KHI community.

Without giving too much away for obvious reasons, try to imagine this concept: A retro 8- or 16-bit styled top-down J-RPG with some platforming elements. It's a creature collector, kinda like Pokémon, Yo-kai Watch, some Dragon Quest games, Shin Megami Tensei, etc. There are a couple main hooks that make this idea stand out on its own, however.

#1) An open world game that ditches an overworld map traditionally used in J-RPGs for a connecting roadway system of platforming levels, with each containing multiple entrances and exits, and each requiring different types creatures in order to navigate.

#2) A more tactical battle system where you adjust your strategy to accommodate your creatures' unique abilities and battle roles rather than mash the attack button and grind for hours just to get strong enough to win the numbers game.

#3) A linear main quest in terms of its sequence of events, but an open-ended game that allows you to branch off from the main story if you can discover hidden exits from the platforming segments and take on whole new quest lines.

If these ideas sound intriguing to you, or if they don't, please let me know. I'm a decent programmer and can do somewhat passable pixel art, so I'm planning on putting a demo together and running a kickstarter, but I wanna see whether or not an idea like this could spark an interest within the RPG fandom.

EDIT: Not sure how to edit poll choices, but Option 2 is supposed to say, "... reserving judgment until there's new info."

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I wanted to say definitely at first, but I settled on option 2.
And hey, if you ever need concepts for characters and/or monsters, PM me. I'd love to help out if you ever want it! :D

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
Thank you for your input! Depending on the success of the kickstarter, I'm looking to get a small team to work on it full-time.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I like the sound of it, I would probably play it. I wish you good luck getting a team! :)

DefiantHeart

Awards
Cool, the reason I don't make my own game ideas is since I'm bad at coding, and I have waaay too low self-esteem to get it done, wish chu luck. ^_^

Btw, with my vote, I'm more of a visual learner, so I'm more up in the air until I see a trailer.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Moved it to Video Games to get you more feedback (we got you).

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm interested but generally story/visuals catch me onto a concept more than the gameplay of that concept initially so I'm gonna have to go with 2.

Good luck!

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
Thank you, to everyone who participated in the survey. I just have one follow-up question that I didn't think to ask at the time.

For the sake of context, the feeling I'm hoping to evoke with this game (at least at first glance) is nostalgia. While the mechanics are going to be unique, I want the aesthetics of the game to be familiar, in terms of its look and style.

Given that information, taking into account the state of the indie market, do you think it would be to the game's benefit to have it be in black-and-white, that pea soup green texture commonly associated with the original gameboy, or just a standard color palette?

Recon

Art of War
Awards
You know...I started writing criticism on this, but stopped because of how many things there were to think about....

But to answer your latest question...It depends.

It depends on specific reasons why you'd want to. Sprites and the animation can conflict with black and white colors. Color adds depth to animation, which is usually recommended.

The "green" effect was the result of the LCD screen. The "green" color was not actually programmed into the game. To all your resources, you could apply a green hue to replicate this result.

As of recent, only one game in recent years, in my mind, that utilizes black and white and that's Limbo.

So, really, color is your best bet.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Color. Although if you want to try something unique, test out a look where its a lot of muted colors and then have some bold colors to enhance the important of certain things.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Color. Although if you want to try something unique, test out a look where its a lot of muted colors and then have some bold colors to enhance the important of certain things.

I second this idea.

It'll be harder to sell people on a game that isn't in color, regardless if it fits with the feel that you're trying to go with. Not saying it's impossible, but color naturally appeals to people far more than black and white, which could be a direct turn off to a lot of potential fans. Stick with color for sure. There are a lot of ways you can make it stand out and feel nostalgic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back