• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Surprising Parallels to Dragon Ball Z's Story

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritas7340

Dragon Ball Z parallels in parentheses:

In KHI (Dragon Ball Z Seasons 1-3), everyone is led to believe there is only one Keyblade Wielder (Super Saiyan). Sora (Goku) becomes the Keyblade Wielder. Later, a new Keyblade Wielder named Mickey (Future Trunks) is revealed, who helps Sora (Goku) finish closing the Door to Darkness (finish defeating Mecha Frieza whom Goku had beaten on Namek).

Throughout CoM and beyond, Sora's (Goku's) arch-rival, Riku (Vegeta), struggles to defeat the darkness within him (to become a Super Saiyan). By Kingdom Hearts II, Riku had earned the right to become a Keyblade Wielder (Vegeta became a Super Saiyan).

After Kingdom Hearts II (Dragon Ball Z Season 4) the series started to reveal many more Keyblade Wielders (Super Saiyans) such as the following: Roxas, Xion, Terra, Ven, Aqua, Eraqus, Xehanort, Lea, Kairi, and the Chi wielders (Gohan, Goten, Trunks, Gotenks, Vegito).

Last edited:

Muke

whatever
Awards
Yeaah, I don't really think KH was intended to parallel DBZ in any way...

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Okay I'm sorry if this wasn't mean to be funny and you're serious! But! I laughed.

Is Sora going to get super buff in KH3?

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Okay I'm sorry if this wasn't mean to be funny and you're serious! But! I laughed.

Is Sora going to get super buff in KH3?

"And this is to go even further beyond the Overdrive, the Overdrive that surpassed all Overdrives!"
(next two games are about Sora screaming- ehr, transforming)

Back to the main topic, I'm also skeptic. While I get how many Keyblade and many SSJs might inspire a parallel, things aren't really as linear as you said (for instance, Riku-Ansem's Keyblade appeared before Mickey's)

...wait a minute.
Is Vanitas Turles?

SephirothZ

Yeaah, I don't really think KH was intended to parallel DBZ in any way...

Intended to parallel DBZ is not the point he is making; it does parallel DBZ in a lot of ways. However, most stories in anime and gaming have similarities that can be compared like this.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
These are just tropes you see in... well, everything tbh, especially long-running fantasy/paranormal series. Don't really know if I'd call it parallels to DBZ when it's parallels to most story telling.

Now, KH and Star Wars, on the other hand...

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Intended to parallel DBZ is not the point he is making; it does parallel DBZ in a lot of ways. However, most stories in anime and gaming have similarities that can be compared like this.

The point is, they're not even "a lot". And they're so generic they're basically "fantasy setting standards" than "DBZ parallels"

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Honestly, no offense, but these are hardly even tropes, and especially not metaphorical parallels. They're standard plot devices found in all fiction.

1. Really, the only trope out of the three. People believe there is one "chosen one", but there are more.

2. Person/character struggles with internal strife. Character works hard, achieves goal and overcomes strife. This is simply character development at its most basic form, and is practically necessary in almost all cases when you want a character to achieve something. It's how we grow in real life. You struggle with something, then you work at it until you are able to overcome it.

3. More characters that relate to the protagonist show up at some point after the introductory phase of the series. This is how plots tend to naturally unfold in mist pieces of fiction. I could draw this parallel between almost any two pieces of fictional entertainment, it isn't exclusive to KH and DBZ.

I'm legitimately not trying to be rude here, but while these are technically parallels, they're fundamentals of storytelling that are found in almost every piece of fiction ever produced. There are exceptions, but these aren't anything spectacular that are exclusive to KH and DBZ.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Now, KH and Star Wars, on the other hand...

Lordy. If we could get people off their hands about not even uttering Star Wars and KH together in a sentence, we could get some great discussion out of that. It's like we stopped with BBS and didn't want to go any further but it is pretty obvious in every game outside of the very basic "oh Xemnas has lightsabers" "Assault on the Dreadnaught is totally Return of the Jedi".

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Lordy. If we could get people off their hands about not even uttering Star Wars and KH together in a sentence, we could get some great discussion out of that. It's like we stopped with BBS and didn't want to go any further but it is pretty obvious in every game outside of the very basic "oh Xemnas has lightsabers" "Assault on the Dreadnaught is totally Return of the Jedi".

Assuming I interpreted this message right (and I'm sorry if I haven't), yes. Most only see SW in BbS due to... well, to it being so obvious, but the feeling was always there.
That's the second reason why I don't want actual SW in KH III: aside from the fact that I'd like only the "classic" animation movies, well... it's already there to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back