• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Support of creationism among scientists

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
"The level of support for creationism among relevant scientists is minimal. Only 700 out of 480,000 U.S. earth and life scientists gave credence to creationism in 1987,[21] representing about 0.146% of relevant scientists. In 2007 the Discovery Institute reported that about 600 scientists signed their A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism list, up from 100 in 2001.[130] The actual statement of the Scientific Dissent from Darwinism is a relatively mild one that expresses skepticism about the absoluteness of 'Darwinism' (and is in line with the falsifiability required of scientific theories) to explain all features of life, and does not in any way represent an absolute denial or rejection of evolution.[131] By contrast, a tongue-in-cheek response known as Project Steve, a list of scientists named Steve who agree that evolution is "a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences," has 1080 Steves as of March 26, 2009. People named Steve make up approximately 1% of the total U.S. population.

The United States National Science Foundation statistics on US yearly science graduates demonstrate that from 1987 to 2001, the number of biological science graduates increased by 59% while the number of geological science graduates decreased by 20.5%. However, the number of geology graduates in 2001 was only 5.4% of the number of graduates in the biological sciences, while it was 10.7% of the number of biological science graduates in 1987.[132] The Science Resources Statistics Division of the National Science Foundation estimated that in 1999, there were 955,300 biological scientists in the US (about 1/3 of who hold graduate degrees). There were also 152,800 earth scientists in the US as well.[133]

Therefore, the 600 Darwin Dissenters represent about 0.054% of the estimated 1,108,100 biological and geological scientists in the US in 1999. In addition, a large fraction of the Darwin Dissenters have specialties unrelated to research on evolution; of the dissenters, three-quarters are not biologists.[134] Therefore, the roughly 150 biologist Darwin Dissenters represent about 0.0157% of the US biologists that existed in 1999. As of 2006, the list was expanded to include non-US scientists, overestimating the number of US scientists that do not accept evolution.[135] , according to the Discovery Institute, a known creationist lobby institution. Despite the increase in absolute number of scientists willing to sign the dissent form, proportionately the figures indicates the support from scientists for creationism and intelligent design is steadily decreasing, despite an increase in public support."

Level of support for evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dunno, guess I'm getting tired of some of your heartbreaking stories about how a scientist that believe in evolution all of his life suddenly found the magic and beauty of creationism and has now written books about it.

tl;dr version: less than 1% of the scientists in the relevant fields believe in creationist.

I'm going to take a page of Jon Stewart here and put in in context: the FDA allows around 5% of insect filth in canned apricots.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's more bug shit in your fruit than there are creationists that studied biology.

very differentiable
Awards
Not so much of a fight when cornered 99 to one. I'm not surprised of this, the creationism one. The one about bug crap is really disgusting, great work fda, or in my case the efsa.

Shade737

Silver Member
itt you just ignore fucking statistical evidence put in front of your face. I mean, it's THERE. he even summarized it.
I didn't ignore it. Its just another Atheism vs. Christian thing.

Shade737

Silver Member
When people make false claims, does disproving them make it a "fight"? No.
Actually no, I am referring to the fact that it doesn't prove or disprove anything about the belief itself. Its just a statistic used to give one side an edge which helps the fight continue.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
...............You'd think that many scientists believing in one thing would make it seem more credible, huh Shade?

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Actually no, I am referring to the fact that it doesn't prove or disprove anything about the belief itself. Its just a statistic used to give one side an edge which helps the fight continue.

Phoenix was just tired of certain people (Dogen) saying that there were a significant amount of creationist scientists.

This has nothing to do with the belief. This is just something that needed to be clarified.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
While I'm not discrediting you,
I think it's funny how a Christian posts something from Wikipedia and people jump all over them as "lol wiki sux"
And someone else does so and they say "look at the FACTS"

What?

When has that happened?

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
What?

When has that happened?
Of course I'm not going to go digging for posts, but it has happened to me before where I post a Wiki link and people say "Anybody could edit Wikipedia". Kind of annoying.

Phoenix was just tired of certain people (Dogen) saying that there were a significant amount of creationist scientists.
Also, I don't believe I mentioned any specifics on creationist scientists.
I believe I just mentioned scientists skeptical to evolution being the end-all means explanation to how things came to be.
And then I mentioned how I know some engineers and scientists who are Christian.

The details are too general. Some scientists accept certain ideas of creationism, some reject certain parts of evolution, and some just don't see it as the "end-all" to arguments about how the world came to be. These statistics don't detail which scientists believe which parts of what. There are scientists that believe in evolution but also believe the universe must have been created by something. From what I understand, what you said just demonstrates the split between scientists who outright believe in creationism in every aspect, that no life forms changed in the process, and possibly in the idea of a young earth, which is a very small percentage of scientists I'm sure, and the scientists that believe otherwise.

I'm kind of tired so maybe I didn't read it all correctly, but the theories of creationism and evolution aren't a "take all or leave" kind of situation sometimes. Some accept the ideas of both macro and micro evolution as theoretically possible, while some accept both as such but don't believe macro evolution occured...or some believe that the Big Bang happened, while some believe the Big Bang is the creation from a deity, or whatever combination have you. And then of course, there are some scientists who will not openly discuss their ideas for fear of being discredited.

I dunno, guess I'm getting tired of some of your heartbreaking stories about how a scientist that believe in evolution all of his life suddenly found the magic and beauty of creationism and has now written books about it.
Err, that was me, I only posted one story, he was a philosopher and atheist debater (I don't believe a biologist, so I never made that claim), and you can pick up his book.

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
So the fight between Atheists and Christians continues.

More like the fight between creationists and evolutionists (though naturally they intertwine).

But yeah, evolution is as good as fact to the overwhelming majority of scientists, just like gravity, electromagnetism, and other scientific phenomena, it's one of the most well supported theories in all of science. You don't even have to make an argument from authority here, the evidence speaks for itself.

You can deny it all you want, cry yourself to sleep because of it, you don't have to believe in it at all, no offense intended. At the end of the day, I understand that it's up to the invidivual as to where they want to put their trust.

Just don't try and justify your lifestyle with false information. If you want to learn about evolution, go read a scientific journal about it, don't try and get your information from a pastor or the first creationist site you find on Google. Similarly, If I wanted to learn about christianity, I'd visit a church, not a lab.

Of course I'm not going to go digging for posts, but it has happened to me before where I post a Wiki link and people say "Anybody could edit Wikipedia". Kind of annoying.

Any time recently? In all my posting history I don't think I've ever seen anyone discredit your claims because you cited a wikipedia article.

Last edited:

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Any time recently? In all my posting history I don't think I've ever seen anyone discredit your claims because you cited a wikipedia article.
I don't believe recently. Probably because I haven't linked to Wiki in a while for that reason.

While 600 scientists is nice and all, Phoenix's point is that it's a small number.
While small numbers don't mind to me, because majority has no effect on the truth (like, if the majority of my class favored red over blue, that shouldn't affect my preference. Terrible metaphor, but in a simplistic perspective, it kind of works), he has a point in that it is a small statistic.

There, however, could be more scientists that are either lying, or have a combination of views on different parts of different theories, like how different scientists may believe the different ways dinosaurs could have become extinct.

Thanks for the link, though.

And with that, I've said pretty much all I've needed to say for now.

very differentiable
Awards
[Lying on a questionnaire which has no implications, yeah right. And trying to pull evolution and creation together won't work, it conflicts in many areas, you'd get a frankenstein of a hypothesis so to speak. And scientists agree on the extinction of dinosaurs, a meteorite did it, they'll all confirm.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Really? What I remember learning about was one of the theories being some believed that volcanoes erupted and killed them all. Different theories. Weird. I also remember the meteor theory being kind of sketchy considering just how much damage a meteor would do if it hit the earth. Like if it killed just the dinosaurs (which is odd), or it wiped out nearly everything and life began anew. Again. Randomly and luckily becoming more complicated over time. Again.

And trying to pull evolution and creation together won't work, it conflicts in many areas, you'd get a frankenstein of a hypothesis so to speak.
My basic point is, it's possible to believe in the universe being created (creationism) and animals evolving to what they are today (evolution). Not necessarily so specific to where it gets ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back