• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Summer 2014 Anime Lineup

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Hey, if the fans are happy, more power to them.

Majimoji Rurumo: Despite some annoying fanservice-themed humour, I liked this debut. The character designs had a blocky look to them, contrasting nicely with the smooth and rounded designs that have become prevalent. On top of that, though not besting the likes of Space Dandy, the animation is very alive and zany, which let's the fantasy elements give the premise a nice spark to catch the eye. The only thing left to do now is hope that the humour improves, and I think it just might.

Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus: If you liked the Kuroshitsuji anime, this is for you. If you think the anime took too many liberties and prefer the manga, this is still for you. If you've never seen Kuroshitsuji before, this is as good a place to start as any. The first episode goes straight into what Kuroshitsuji is all about: Bizarre plots, fancy living, and sexy butlers. It's visually solid, if the animation itself is stiff in spots, and the prelude in question gives you a fast handle on the characters without overwhelming you. Not a bad choice if you're interested in the series.

Love Stage!!: You know, I can't really feel conflicted when what essentially happened is that they drew a girl and called it a guy. Whatever, the first thing I can do is give props to it for not being rapey. The second thing I can do is give it props for having gorgeous character models. The third thing I can do is say that it's okay, but you it's hard not to predict where it will go. The guy will find out, won't know what to do with his feelings, and then go for it anyway. And then it'll get rapey.

Persona 4 – The Golden Animation: It looks better than the first one, so there's that. If you haven't seen the first one and don't want to play the game, then I guess this'll work for you. It might be a little more cohesive this time around, hopefully. If you have seen the earlier one, then you'll either stick around for the fanservice and/or for the new Golden material. For me though, I'm just not seeing this character as a significant enough inclusion to warrant watching what is mostly the same thing.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha: So this guy, he gets a really good deal on this apartment, but he hears rumors that the place is haunted. Then, when he's working, he gets transported to a mystical... cave or something and gets told a bunch of prophetic fantasy stuff. Later, it's revealed that they are all ghost girls followed by routine harem stuff. Goodbye, interest. Shame too, because there was a certain thickness to the art that I kinda liked. Oh well, it's not like it's that good.

Sengoku Basara Judge End: Winding back the timeline to before the end of season two, Judge End follows (I think) the events as they were detailed in the latest Sengoku Basara game. Anyway, the first episode is basically a rush through the close of part two, now dealing with the road and inevitable climax at Sekigahara. I can't help but feel a distinct lack of energy in comparison to the previous seasons, probably brought on by a less vibrant and detailed art style. Even the animation, though certainly not bad, is much less over-the-top than its predecessors.

Tokyo ESP: This reminded me of Ga-Rei Zero, except with psychics instead of monsters and all the protagonists didn't die by the end. Anyway, psychics have taken over parliament and are declaring their rule over Japan, and there's nothing that the humans can do about it. That's when another team of psychics (and a group of humans, it seems) come in to help them stand a fighting chance. The premise is so American that I'm interested in more episodes just because it's different from the more common brand of generic in Japanese anime. The visuals aren't that bad either, especially coming from Xebec. The mostly CGI effects work pretty well with the surprisingly expressive facial animation.

Zankyou no Terror: Obviously this doesn't disappoint, being the best premiere of the season. Everything about this premiere was top-tier. The characters felt real and had great chemistry. The animation is the best of the season. The character models are detailed to an honestly impressive degree. The music is some of Kanno's best. The premise, though a bit cryptic and obscure right now, has potential and is easily carried by the other parts. There's nothing else to say about this. If you want to see some good anime, watch this thriller. You won't go wrong.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Why is no one else talking about Zankyou no Terror?!

I know it's only the first episode, but it was fantastic. Watanabe did not disappoint.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Why is no one else talking about Zankyou no Terror?!

I know it's only the first episode, but it was fantastic. Watanabe did not disappoint.

I have high hopes for this series, and I'm really trying my best to just wait until it's over so that I can marathon it.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Sengoku Basara Judge End: Winding back the timeline to before the end of season two, Judge End follows (I think) the events as they were detailed in the latest Sengoku Basara game. Anyway, the first episode is basically a rush through the close of part two, now dealing with the road and inevitable climax at Sekigahara. I can't help but feel a distinct lack of energy in comparison to the previous seasons, probably brought on by a less vibrant and detailed art style. Even the animation, though certainly not bad, is much less over-the-top than its predecessors.

I believe they've changed studios and Hiroyuki Sawano isn't on the soundtrack anymore.

So that might be the reason for the lack of...energy?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Not just the studio and composer, basically the entire production staff is different. Telecom Animation Film is the same studio doing Koike's upcoming Lupin film, so it's hard for me to fault them exclusively, lol

I mean, it's not like it's bad, it just doesn't punch you in the face like the others did.

Anywho, quick summary of stuff to watch for everyone:

Not Sequels
Zankyou no Terror
Tokyo Ghoul
Barakamon
Tokyo ESP
Ao Haru Ride
Akame ga Kill!
Rail Wars!
Aldnoah Zero
Magimoji Rurumo
Hanayamata
Love Stage!!
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen
Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49
Glasslip
Persona 4 The Golden Animation
Bakumatsu Rock!
Rokujyouma no Shinryakusha!?
DRAMAtical Murder
Sabagebu!
Momokyun Sword
Futsuu no Joshikousei ga Locodol Yattemita
Jinsei
Pri Para

If it's in bold, it means I'm still watching. The higher up on the list, the more I liked the premiere.

Sequels
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya☆2wei!
Free! Eternal Summer
Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus
Re:␣Hamatora
Sengoku Basara: Judge End
Space☆Dandy 2nd Season
Sword Art Online II

Here, bold means I'm watching it, but there's no order. Cuz, you know, they're sequels, so who cares? Kuroshitsuji you can just jump into if you haven't seen it. I guess you could technically do the same with Space Dandy, but why would you? Just watch the whole damn thing like any conscious, learned, respected member of society would.

Also, I still haven't watched Nobunaga Concerto and Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance, but I'm not expecting much, so...

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Not just the studio and composer, basically the entire production staff is different. Telecom Animation Film is the same studio doing Koike's upcoming Lupin film, so it's hard for me to fault them exclusively, lol

I mean, it's not like it's bad, it just doesn't punch you in the face like the others did.

Well let's hope the staff take it up a notch.

I did enjoy it, the opening with that Western soundtrack was great, it just wasn't as oompf as the past.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I really just have to rant for a minute. It's pretty hard for me to dislike a show significantly, but Akame ga Kill absolutely did not live up to the hype for me at all. Why? Because it feels like it's the cut and dry generic shounen that I've come to expect, but it fits the label in nearly every single way. It's basically archetypes the anime.

We have generic main character who is faced with the [I]deeply[/I] troubling decision of joining a group of people who basically are doing everything good that he's wanting to work for, but oh my, they [I]kill people.[/I] Seriously? His very first goal you learn of is to work his way up the ranks of the army to save his village from all the trouble they're facing. That's the FIRST. So you're meaning to tell me he wanted to join the army and his difference with the anarchist group he's joining now is that they kill? That's what a diddlying army does. He has a direct line to make a difference how he expected and this is actually something he's having trouble deciding when it's basically what he wanted in the first place?

As for his personality... it's pretty much what you've come to expect from series like this. The incredibly predictable shounen MC. He suddenly gains resolve when he needs it to move things forward, he acts extremely surprised at the slightest hint of boobs or anything mildly out of the ordinary. I really can't say much here because there simply isn't much to speak of. He's the protagonist and that's really all I've gotten out of him.

Guess I'll approach the actual group of characters in no particular order. We have the quiet badass with black hair archetype who had to strip down to a swimsuit in the just the second episode. No personality whatsoever on her. Not much to say here.
Pompous, pink-haired bitch who believes she's the power of authority and predictably acts like a total dick to the main character by (predictably, again) saying he's not up to par to join their organization.

The slightly more rational purple haired girl with glasses who is the complete airhead of the group. Doesn't really say enough for me to go into further detail, for better or worse.
The leader of the group with the eyepatch who was actually somewhat likeable. She didn't really do much to develop herself, but she's got an interesting ability with her hand. I suppose that does come with the injured war-hero leader archetype though.

Catgirl boobs. That's what we'll call her. She's literally just the catgirl shove-in and the main character puts it perfectly by just calling her boobs a few times. She's there for boobs, occasional comic relief, and acting like a badass assassin when the story needs her to be.
Gay.. pompadour man? I've less problem with this guy because he somehow sticks out slightly more than the rest, but he's still feeling like he doesn't stick out enough to get out of the badass pompadour guy archetype.

I can't even really complain much about the story because it's barely developed this far in, so I'll reserve judgement here. It seems like your stereotypical anarchy group with personality trying to fight against the oppressing government the main character once trusted.

This is sort of a random beef with the storytelling, but it's stupid enough that it REALLY warrants its own paragraph. The main character's two friends he loses track of are tortured to death, one even dying in his own arms. Tragic, yes? APPARENTLY NOT. He's able to grieve in the first episode for what is basically a matter of less than a minute because he's comically dragged away. Stupid, right? I thought all of my complaints with the series would end after I started episode 2. Ah, finally, they've managed to get to a point where he can actually grieve. [B]APPARENTLY. NOT. [/B]This grieving process lasts around a minute again before boobs decides to press the main character right up against her in comical fashion. Seriously, you have the perfect opportunity to address the only real internal conflict the main character should be dealing with and you're just throwing that shit out the window twice in a row for comic relief? How the diddly does that make any sense at all?

Awards
Okay, so, Zankyou no Terror's OST?

Easily the best thing Kanno's done since Ghost in the Shell.

Maybe even since Wolf's Rain.

(Yeah, it's that good.)

you weren't lying. it's right up there with wolf rain's ost, which is oh so magical gdi

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
Just saw Zankyou no Terror's second episode. It was just as well developed as the first episode. It still had an aura of mystery to it, and with only 9 episodes left, I'm really interested to see how the plot unfolds.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
Just caught up on what I'm watching this season.
Sailor Moon and DRAMAtical Murder.

Sailor Moon is good, but to be honest, 3D CG or whatever you wanna call it is reminiscent of early to mid 2000 CG renders of characters and it's really weird. No idea why they'd waste money on CG when animating would probably look prettier. Not gonna lie when I say the 3D looks like CG models from games like...Style Savvy. (google that one, fite me i play it and enjoy it).

DRAMAtical Murder is making me feel like they made it with the mind that people who played the games would watch it. They aren't catering to those who haven't played the game at all. Everything is being hinted at and that's it.

Nothing else to say. I watched Tokyo Ghoul but have decided to wait until this season ends and go on a binge.

Awards
so any series you guys have already dropped/put on hold?

I still haven't gotten to love stage, tokyo ESP, or P4, and don't think I will?

dmmd and SAO. it's really been hard to keep up with those shows (dmmd especially oh goodness), so putting those on the back burner.

it's ok though because i still have space dandy, swimming anime, victorian butlers, mecha, cannibalism, terror, and countryside cuteness to keep my attention which is more than enough for this summer.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Persona 4 is on an eh at the moment. I enjoyed the first episode, but I haven't had so much time to watch stuff recently, so not sure if it'll ever get finished or left by the side.

Zankyou no Terror and Space Dandy are pretty much dead certs for watching on the day viewing. Sengoku Basara tends to get backlogged due to subbing schedules being iffy.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I've put Glasslip and Tokyo Ghoul on hold. I didn't particular like where Glasslip was going. I don't care about destiny and hallucinations. As for Tokyo Ghoul, I simply grow bored of the main protagonist whining all of the time and freaking out over his hunger issues. I'm not sure on P4TVGolden. I might keep watching it simply because, I haven't played the vita version of the game.

What's going strongly right now are: Zankyou no Terror, Akame ga Kill, Space Dandy, Eternal Summer, Pretty Guardian, SAOII and Book Circus. I haven't dropped any of them quite yet. Most keep my interest going... yes there's a 'but' to this. I'm not sure how I feel about Akame ga Kill. It was cool at first until it became assassinate this guy, prove you're on our side and blah, blah, blah. So if next episode after this week doesn't interest me then I'm dropping it. (xD)

Relix

A traveler
Awards
Watching a bunch of anime but I'll just note Akame ga Kill, Aldnoah Zero, and SAO II to talk about.

As far as Akame ga Kill is concerned, I've been reading the manga for about a year before the anime and honestly I do enjoy the manga more. Pinwheel's issues with the anime are valid the more I think about it but those issues were not so apparent in the manga. I'm not sure if it is because of pacing, because I actually had to wait each month for content (so I was able to take a break from it), or any other reason. But I do know I do not enjoy it as much as I do the manga. It's just entertaining to see a manga I like so much animated I guess. The thing about Tatsumi, the MC or main protagonist, he is not a favorite for me. The story introduces much more interesting characters and there are twists and turns that, although they may be predictable, was still entertaining to read and rage/rejoice over. So I sorta wanna say...give it another chance(?) BUT I won't blame you if you drop it like a sack of potatoes.

I don't even know about SAO II, I'm probably gonna be looked at sideways for this but I find the story more...interesting then the first Sword Art. Maybe because it is more character driven this time around (don't know if I'm articulating that right). I know Kazuto/Kirito sort of took the supporting character seat these last couple of episodes to Shino but I've cared more about her than I have of Kazuto back in SAO I. But I'm glad he's going to be getting more involved now and I look forward to how the two interact. IF they will interact....

I don't know what the general opinion on Aldnoah Zero is around here, but I'm enjoying the crap out of it. They upped the damn stakes day 1. The characters are admittedly sort of bland save for a couple I've taken an interest in but the conflict is pretty good. And that score. Such awesome tracks. Each episode has been enjoyable

Awards
Mamoru Miyano. I will never stop marveling over this talented chameleon. he's in 3 of the shows i'm watching this summer and the characters he voice can't be farther from one another in terms of personality! he's just. so. ahhh!

I don't know what the general opinion on Aldnoah Zero is around here, but I'm enjoying the crap out of it. They upped the damn stakes day 1. The characters are admittedly sort of bland save for a couple I've taken an interest in but the conflict is pretty good. And that score. Such awesome tracks. Each episode has been enjoyable

ooohh, i've been with this show since day 1~!

just finished the latest episode, and currently listening to the ed song on everlasting repeat.

Nine-Tailed Fox

?˖✧ Army of One ✧˖?
Awards
Website
sailorstar-fox.livejournal.com
Just gotta say that if you like Tokyo Ghoul, please read the manga. They're doing an ok job with trying to rearrange arcs and whatnot so they can fit everything in, but the manga is still far more enjoyable and worth your time-!

As far as Akame ga Kill is concerned, I've been reading the manga for about a year before the anime and honestly I do enjoy the manga more. Pinwheel's issues with the anime are valid the more I think about it but those issues were not so apparent in the manga. I'm not sure if it is because of pacing, because I actually had to wait each month for content (so I was able to take a break from it), or any other reason. But I do know I do not enjoy it as much as I do the manga. It's just entertaining to see a manga I like so much animated I guess. The thing about Tatsumi, the MC or main protagonist, he is not a favorite for me. The story introduces much more interesting characters and there are twists and turns that, although they may be predictable, was still entertaining to read and rage/rejoice over. So I sorta wanna say...give it another chance(?) BUT I won't blame you if you drop it like a sack of potatoes.

^^ You solved my problem of figuring out how to put it-- I can understand how it might come off as another typical generic anime, and I also have difficulty figuring out how to explain why the series is so enjoyable?? I've personally been reading it since the first chapter got translated and really enjoy it. Honestly, unless they skip a bit of content or aim for a S2, we won't even get to some of the best parts in the anime.

OK i'm not really into the mecha genre but Aldnoah.Zero is great. Sure it has a few flaws, but the animation/art, plot, and goodness that OST far outweigh them (for me, anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back