• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Summer 2014 Anime Lineup

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I'm a little saddened that Zankyo no Terror will only have 11 episodes. Shorter animes tend to be better in terms of quality, but I want more Watanabe damn it!

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Has anybody here watched Psycho-Pass? Since it's coming out this season with a "new edit" version, I was just going to watch that since I haven't seen the original, BUT should I watch the original first and then wait? Or just watch the new edit version?

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I'd say watch the original first, the edit might miss out on some stuff.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Doing a little catch up, but whatever. Just gonna try and knock premieres out four at a time.

Free! Eternal Summer: This show in a nutshell. KyoAni's series about cute guys doing cute things in the water is back and even less veiled than before. The animation's been kicked up another notch, and the music is a little catchier; but let's be real here, the only reason to watch this show is the hotblooded guy moe. And there's plenty of that. As with the first season, anyone looking for a solid sports series is barking up the wrong lifeguard post, but it's more of what people enjoyed to begin with. So they'll be satisfied (and I count myself among those people).

Bakumatsu Rock: This show is about the lobbying power of the popular music industry, influencing the government by controlling the citizens with mind-numbing boy bands and pop idols. The only way to counteract this is to instill counterculture sentiment with rock and roll music; specifically, using the most mainstream, poppiest rock music imaginable so that the people's minds can be freed. It's a deep commentary on the sociopolitical climate. Or it could just be a silly show about shirtless guys, electric guitars, and boy bands in historical Japan. Whichever seems more likely.

Locodol: By the time the opening played, I was convinced this was a show about a girl who goes to the pool with her friends. Instead, it's about a girl who suddenly becomes and idol, because her uncle is kind of a dick and tricked her into helping build up support for the town by having "local idols" (which is where the title comes from). I think I would have preferred it if she just went to the pool with her friends. At least then it would have been insipid without pretending it had some kind of a plot. Look, if I want to watch an idol show, I'll just watched Love Live. Or even iDOLM@STER.

Glasslip: I'm a little sick of P.A. Works. They need to do more shows like Another or Uchouten Kazoku. Lately, most we've been getting from them is the same photo-realistic backgrounds that all start to look the same after a while. Most of their shows either start out as boring teen dramedies or eventually end up that way by the end. This series doesn't even get the start right. None of the characters have any chemistry, and there are so many of them that I don't even know the first thing about them. One of them likes chickens. One of them likes the girl who likes chickens. One of them likes the guy who likes the girl who likes chickens. And the girl who likes chickens likes an emotionless pseudo-intellectual. And there are at least two more definitely main characters that I know nothing about, plus the side characters. Good god was this show annoying. They could have just released concept art and I probably would have gotten the same level of enjoyment. However, I am willing to admit that the glass blowing animation is fun to watch (for all one pointless scene it was given).

Awards
Barakamon was really cute! it might be because I'm finding some aspects of the show relatable, but I'm really hoping it does well.

annnd just finished aldnoah.zero which was.... well, interesting. I'll stick with it for a few more episodes! personally I thought the ending scene and accompanying music was the ultimate highlight of the show and a testament to why I gave aldnoah a try in the first place (HIROYUKI SAWANO HNNGHH)

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Rail Wars!: If you liked Ben-To, you might want to check this one out. It takes an otherwise mundane activity (working at the train station) and turns it into ridiculous. Special train station schools, high octane training, chasing muggers with knives and beating them up, super train station strategy action, this show's got everything that would never actually happen on the job (especially not the first day). While not as crazy as Ben-To, that similar spirit and animation is there. Plus, the opening and ending themes are stupid fun. If you want silly that you can't take seriously, this is a good choice.

Shirogane no Ishi Argevollen: I really liked the first half. The episode was apparently not digging that I was digging it though, so it gave me the second half to bring me down. What interested me in the first half was that they showed a likable military squad in a country run by corrupt leaders. Something about having the good guys be apart of what would normally be the bad side caught my attention. Furthermore, the corrupt leaders weren't even the aggressors. They were under attack by an imperialist state. All of this unusual setup was presented succinctly in the span of twelve minutes, while also making the squadron believable. That's no small task. Unfortunately, the second half is just a rookie pilot getting his hands on a new experimental mech and going to town. It's just a bit of a let down to see such a cool opening premise followed by something so by-the-books.

Tokyo Ghoul: Always nice to see a studio flex their production muscles, especially when you know they have them. Studio Pierrot, long known for stretching their budgets to accommodate hundreds of episodes (and more recently known for not giving a shit when they were handed Korra), is proving their animating chops with a show that is as visually appealing as it is unsettling. More importantly, it was an enjoyable first episode. A little heavy on the grim and the gore at times? Maybe, but it's worth it to watch one of the more gut-wrenching moments of unwanted transformation in the medium. Another strong scene that gives me confidence in the writing is in how the character becomes the way he does. There was no big rescue (well, accept by the medical doctors, but that's not what I mean), no chosen one nonsense. His transformation was nothing but the most random of chances, which helps drive his loneliness afterwords home. Good shit.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon: I watched the original anime on TV as a kid, but I was never a huge fan, so I met this retelling with more indifference than nostalgia. (Not that it wasn't nice to see the characters again, mind you.) As the first episode came to an end, three main things stood out: One, Usagi's voice actress shows her age. Two, it's a very pretty show. The character designs are much more reminiscent of the manga than they had been, and it's just nice to see more classic shoujo artwork in anime to begin with. Three, and the most obvious of them all, this story is old. As nostalgic as it may be, it's outdated. The formula is too obvious now. It's like if they remade Seinfeld. Yeah, Seinfeld was funny and all; but now that everyone's copied it, the original loses at least some of its charm. And, sad as it may be, that's what happened here too. Sailor Moon just isn't anything special anymore, no matter how nice the art or music is. Even the opening, catchy as it may be, feels like something to be appreciated only by fans of old school.

Awards
annnd just finished aldnoah.zero which was.... well, interesting. I'll stick with it for a few more episodes! personally I thought the ending scene and accompanying music was the ultimate highlight of the show and a testament to why I gave aldnoah a try in the first place (HIROYUKI SAWANO HNNGHH)

ok so after seeing the ending an extra 10+ times since posting this, I'mma just like casually reiterate DEM FINAL MINUTES ARE JUST. GUH.

and watwaat i did not know that gen urobutchi is this show's creator? (urobutcher? didn't know that was a thing but it is totally accurate considering his latest projects and this one too i mean damn son) yeee ok I have high hopes now, I hope I will not be disappointed by this show

I just died from cute over Barakamon. Guess I should pick up the manga sometime soon.

ISN'T IT??? surprisingly, I wasn't as put-off by the little girl (whose name has escapes me atm) as I thought I would be. and daisuke ono is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, seiyuuu-wise... but apparently i'm far too late for that bandwagon?

Last edited:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
ok so after seeing the ending an extra 10+ times since posting this, I'mma just like casually reiterate DEM FINAL MINUTES ARE JUST. GUH.

and watwaat i did not know that gen urobutchi is this show's creator? (urobutcher? didn't know that was a thing but it is totally accurate considering his latest projects and this one too i mean damn son) yeee ok I have high hopes now, I hope I will not be disappointed by this show

I'm going to have to watch this show. It has ingredients for a fantastic series

ISN'T IT??? surprisingly, I wasn't as put-off by the little girl (whose name has escapes my mine atm) as I thought I would be. and daisuke ono is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, seiyuuu-wise... but apparently i'm far too late for that bandwagon?

I think her name is Naru, but yeah! She's really adorable and not annoying at all. (to be honest I thought she was a boy at first because I stayed away from any information on this series haha)

You are late on the Daisuke Ono bandwagon but it is always accepting new passengers SO WELCOME. Please sit down and admire his amazing voice and acting chops

Awards
I'm going to have to watch this show. It has ingredients for a fantastic series

after you watch the show:
I SAY CRRRYYYY
I SAY FRRRRYYY
I SAY FRRRYYYY

I think her name is Naru, but yeah! She's really adorable and not annoying at all. (to be honest I thought she was a boy at first because I stayed away from any information on this series haha)

You are late on the Daisuke Ono bandwagon but it is always accepting new passengers SO WELCOME. Please sit down and admire his amazing voice and acting chops

//hops in, throws on glasses

let's do this.

I thought she was a boy, too! But I can definitely see this going in a father-daughter sort of direction. overall a feel-good show that is sure to leave me all warm and fuzzy. c8

Last edited:

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
and daisuke ono is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, seiyuuu-wise... but apparently i'm far too late for that bandwagon?

hohohohohoho

i've been riding that train for a long, long time now. i love his work.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
PriPara: I died around three minutes into this episode. All impressions following this will be made by my ghost. PriPara is a mahou shoujo series where they transform but don't actually fight anything. It's a dress-up anime in its purest form. That is literally the entire the show.

Shounen Hollywood: First off, it looks a lot better than it has any right to. Crisp character models across the board and some very smooth animation. Well, okay, the CGI was atrocious, but the actual 2D animation was pretty alright. Anyway, this is the third show so far this season that feature male stripping. And I'm pretty sure that character was fourteen-years-old (he looks like he's in his twenties, so obviously). The is all about a group of guys coming together to form the latest and greatest boy band. In other words, it's a reverse idol show (well, technically a regular idol show, just with guys instead of girls). I don't know, I feel like those who want to watch this show are already doing so. But hey, if you need more bachelor action, here you go.

Barakamon: Oh thank god for this show. It's the most refreshing thing I've seen this season (Space Dandy doesn't count, because it's on its second season; those are the rules I made up). I was not expecting a nice little story about a calligrapher learning to lighten up to work so well. It's mostly in how expressive the show is. For such an empty little town, there's a lot of life in its inhabitants, and it's intoxicating. You can just feel the sincerity oozing out of it. Also, I do not remember all that adorable and energetic animation in the trailers. This show looks good. It looks really good. Even the artwork behind the animation looks good. One look at the opening and ending themes will tell you that. The only premiere with better animation so far is Space Dandy's second season (and maybe Tokyo Ghoul, depending on how you look at it). One of the best first episodes of the season, without a doubt.

Aldnoah.Zero: And now it's time for Urobuchi's new series. Orbital stations have a nice alien look to them. I like the mecha designs too (a lot actually). Aside from the almost lineless character models, the art's pretty nice (and even the models have a certain smoothness to them that works). CGI's passable too. But enough of it's looks, let's talk about the premise. Most of the episode is pretty standard affair. Impending war followed by actual war. Teenage pilots who will inevitably pilot robots against the enemy (although they did imagine up a reasonable excuse for them to know how to pilot, so props for that). Peace negotiations turning into a catalyst for said war. Surprising amounts of mass destruction. It's all there (although the massive destruction usually happens off camera, so being able to see it as it happened was cool). However, the whole "just using the Earth as a battlegrounds for some infighting" idea interested me, though I'm not sure if it'll actually amount to anything significant in the long run. Still, could be good. At least it ended with potential instead of ending meh like Argevollen's premiere.

Awards
hohohohohoho

i've been riding that train for a long, long time now. i love his work.

He voices a lot of my favorite characters. I was first introduced to him via Kuroshitsuji, then found out he voiced Shizuo in Durarara, and apparently he also voiced Koizumi in Haruhi?

That's some range bro I mean what a chameleon.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Okay, so, Zankyou no Terror's OST?

Easily the best thing Kanno's done since Ghost in the Shell.

Maybe even since Wolf's Rain.

(Yeah, it's that good.)

Let me put it another way while I'm at it.

[video=youtube;tkptOcr9WrY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkptOcr9WrY[/video]

This track right here? The one from the trailer? By far the worst track on the whole album.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Zankyou no Terror first episode was brilliant. I feel like I shouldn't be saying that though... xD On the other hand, I'm more curious about the boys backgrounds now.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Stupid life, getting in the way of what matters all the damn time -_-

Really bad anime is what life's all about.

Sabagebu!: Haven't we had enough series about secondary school girls playing war? I feel like we should have had enough of those by now. I should not be able to see a character in full military apparel and toting heavy (air-soft) weaponry, and be bored out of my mind. Something is wrong when that happens. I'm always impressed by anime's proficiency at making trite and commonplace what should be so out there that no one would ever write it in the first place. Anyway, if you want pseudo-military high school girl tactical action, here's another one.

DRAMAtical Murder: Though I remain impressed by the show's sense of fashion, I can't help but miss the point amid the jumble of clashing colors and baritone dogs. The big problem with this premiere is that it tells you very little about what's going on, aside from the broad overview and occasional cryptic hints here and there. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it forces the characters to bear the viewers' interest until things start to clear up. These characters cannot carry the show. They just can't. They are as boring as can be, to the extent where I struggle to say that they even pass as archetypes. I just can't recommend it.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: Now I get to bitch about something else: Pacing! The show spends all of two minutes working together before they start working together on manga and doing bits. If it was purely a comedy, I might have been fine with that, but that pacing is a no no when you bring the romantic element into it. Not to mention that the only time I laughed was during the bike segment. I don't know if this was adapted from a 4-koma manga, but it certainly feels like it. Art's nice though; easy to look at and competently animated. Now if only the show was better to match.

Akame ga KILL!: Maybe it's because I'd just finished three annoying shows, but I was so happy to see this premiere. This is how you do a fun (and reasonably morbid) fantasy action thriller right. A bunch of different characters with their own ways of killing people and giving the affluent their dues. It's like Robin Hood if instead of stealing from the rich he just killed them. Thank god the action scenes are nice. All I can hope for is that they fun continues throughout the show. Will it? Um, I don't know, but it certainly has the ability to.

Jinsei: A show about someone who needed help choosing a club devolved into a water balloon fight/wet T-shirt contest. There was a second half of the episode, but I blacked out, so I don't know what happened. It's one of those shows that just kinda makes you hate life and stuff. It's not even pretty to look at. It's just pure, unadulterated... I don't care anymore.

Momo Kyun Sword: If you want to know what the famous Momotaro story would be if Momotaro had big tits, this is your show. Spoiler alert, it's the same story, just with more big tits. I understand that this might sound good on paper, but when I already have the perfect interpretation of Momotaro in Hoozuki Reitetsu, I just don't see the point. Also the show is kind of ugly except for the occasional background. Like, it'll be awful, and then there will be a piece of scenery that's so nice that it looks out of place.

Hanayamata: Gotta give credit to Madhouse. If nothing else, they can make a show look good. Hanayamata may just be another show in the moe genre, but it's got enough visual chops to support it for those who don't mind a little sugar-coated nothing every once in a while. The character models are detailed and stand out among otherwise similar shows, the animation is fluid, and the scenery is gorgeous. Still, it's not gonna win people over to the genre if you couldn't already stomach the fluff to begin with. A must for those who like it though.

Ao Haru Ride: And here's another example of good visuals making the ride so much more enjoyable. The show looks like a watercolor painting at times, and the colors are always soft and diluted. Basically, this is one of those cases where a shoujo anime actually looks like a shoujo manga. Aside from the character designs themselves, the feel of the imagery resembled (the admittedly superior) Usagi Drop, which Production I.G. also did. The story is about a missed love opportunity, and the characters are somewhat nice to watch. It could be interesting, but I worry that the initial setup will only serve to give it a little initial tension before settling into the shoujo romance formula.

Still eight more new shows sitting on my computer ;-;

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
DRAMAtical Murder: Though I remain impressed by the show's sense of fashion, I can't help but miss the point amid the jumble of clashing colors and baritone dogs. The big problem with this premiere is that it tells you very little about what's going on, aside from the broad overview and occasional cryptic hints here and there. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it forces the characters to bear the viewers' interest until things start to clear up. These characters cannot carry the show. They just can't. They are as boring as can be, to the extent where I struggle to say that they even pass as archetypes. I just can't recommend it.

That's why this show's primary audience is probably the people who know of/played the BL game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back