• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stuff from DevArt

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andillexe

Hey. I need a little help figuring out what to do on one of my projects. I've been working on this for a while, and it'd be great if I could get some opinions or constructive criticism.

Death Gambling

I have no idea what to put for the blank die, the back of the cards, or the background. Also, the shadow from the die on the joker is bothering me and doesn't really look right. Help?

Last edited:

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Re: Andillexe's Art

I'm going to assume you're using actual dice as references for shapes and shadows, correct? The blank die has a funny little line that doesn't seem to match up. On the bottom of it, the left line seems to be crooked.

I really like the idea for this though! Seems like fun to draw and then show off later. That die on the bottom definitely pops out really well. For the shadow, just get out a die and then put a light on it exactly how you're imagining it. Then put the shadow in on your paper lightly, and use the joker to determine what's darker. Shadows on white aren't necessarily black, they're actually fairy light compared to other colors. So the spot where the crown is would pry be a little darker than the white area.

Depending on what you're going to do for the background, you may not need to do much to the backs of the cards. They're kind of nice with just that one design in the middle. Just kind of work on that design and the edges and you'd pry be fine with that.

The blank die. Perhaps do a little dice research? Or do you have any kind of fun dice around the house, either from a game or something? You could use those for inspiration. Maybe just draw a skull on it, or some other symbols representing death.

Andillexe

I'm going to assume you're using actual dice as references for shapes and shadows, correct? The blank die has a funny little line that doesn't seem to match up. On the bottom of it, the left line seems to be crooked.

Yeah, sometimes. At first I just drew a couple dice from memory, then I found one and started looking off of it. About the blank one, I think that the line was a bit too light for the scanner. I fixed it though.

I really like the idea for this though! Seems like fun to draw and then show off later. That die on the bottom definitely pops out really well. For the shadow, just get out a die and then put a light on it exactly how you're imagining it. Then put the shadow in on your paper lightly, and use the joker to determine what's darker. Shadows on white aren't necessarily black, they're actually fairy light compared to other colors. So the spot where the crown is would pry be a little darker than the white area.

Thanks. The problem with using an actual die is that my fingers keep getting in the way of the shadow when I try to hold it up. The die has only one side touching the joker, so that's a little hard to duplicate with just my fingers, a die and a card.

Depending on what you're going to do for the background, you may not need to do much to the backs of the cards. They're kind of nice with just that one design in the middle. Just kind of work on that design and the edges and you'd pry be fine with that.

That's just it. I have no idea what I'm going to do for the background. But I guess I could just leave the card like that. The design in the middle is supposed to be my signature. Friend's idea.

The blank die. Perhaps do a little dice research? Or do you have any kind of fun dice around the house, either from a game or something? You could use those for inspiration. Maybe just draw a skull on it, or some other symbols representing death.

I found a cool die that has a bunch of card stuff on its faces, like a spade, ten hearts, etc. I might do that.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com

Yeah, sometimes. At first I just drew a couple dice from memory, then I found one and started looking off of it. About the blank one, I think that the line was a bit too light for the scanner. I fixed it though.

Cool.

Thanks. The problem with using an actual die is that my fingers keep getting in the way of the shadow when I try to hold it up. The die has only one side touching the joker, so that's a little hard to duplicate with just my fingers, a die and a card.

If you're trying to hold it up so that edge is touching, maybe put like a small rock from gravel under it? Or something else so your hand isn't underneath it?

That's just it. I have no idea what I'm going to do for the background. But I guess I could just leave the card like that. The design in the middle is supposed to be my signature. Friend's idea.

Well, definitely needs to be a background, maybe even just some kind of light shade or gradient. Maybe if you just get a light shade on there, you'll start getting some ideas. Doesn't have to be anything specific, just a little bit of kind of shade.

I found a cool die that has a bunch of card stuff on its faces, like a spade, ten hearts, etc. I might do that.

Ooh, that sounds really cool. And it'd be related to the cards. Card games are often the death of people with gambling and whatnot.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards

:^D

No need to post since KG basically said EVERYTHING I WANTED TO (rage).

Anyway, just to reiterate; this needs a background. Abstract, simple, whatever. Work with the composition a bit since it's looking rather bland right now.

Andillexe

If you're trying to hold it up so that edge is touching, maybe put like a small rock from gravel under it? Or something else so your hand isn't underneath it?

Hmm... Maybe I'll try a bunched up tape wad thing. That might work.

Well, definitely needs to be a background, maybe even just some kind of light shade or gradient. Maybe if you just get a light shade on there, you'll start getting some ideas. Doesn't have to be anything specific, just a little bit of kind of shade.

Okay. I'll try that.

Ooh, that sounds really cool. And it'd be related to the cards. Card games are often the death of people with gambling and whatnot.

Ooh, symbolism. :3

No need to post since KG basically said EVERYTHING I WANTED TO (rage).

Thanks for the effort. I'll work on the background.

Andillexe

I've finally got some finished pieces that I got around to scanning.

It__sa_Mario_Time_by_tkhp_nobody.jpg

This is "The Hills Have Eyes-Mario Style". There are so many reasons I don't like it: the ghost sketches, Toad's head, Mario's face, and the Castle. But King Boo riding Bullet Bill makes it all better. ^^

And then there's this one:

Ryuu_Water_color_by_tkhp_nobody.jpg

This was my first time water coloring line art. It's meh.

Andillexe

I haven't posted any of my pictures on here in a while. Just thought I'd update what's on my DevArt page. Here you go:

Tsukikama

I actually forgot about this one for a while. Oops.

Jack and Zero

I really like this one. But it was annoying because it kept smudging and I had to keep going over it and looks all streaky. Meh.

Roxas and Luxord

My friend asked me to draw this for him because he is obsessed with Roxas and Luxord and my drawing skills (for some reason). Plus I just got my drawing tablet and I really wanted to finish a drawing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back