• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Stuck on Life

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SorasTwilight

Website
www.youravon.com
Just ended my first year of college and I have to say that it wasn't so bad. But lately, I've been re-thinking about what I wanna do with my life. Right now I am currently getting my degree in teaching, but for some reason I just feel like it's not for me. Now I love Japanese culture and have been taking Japanese for almost years now. Plus I also wanna work with te videogame industry too, so maybe a translator? Idk, I feel kinda scared telling my mom about this bc I would feel like she wasted money on something that wasn't right for me. What should I do?

Last edited:

MegaxXxman

I myself am still not sure what I want to do but my advice for you would be what job do you see yourself doing that wouldn't feel like a job because you enjoy doing it?

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
Just ended my first year of college and I have to say that it wasn't so bad. But lately, I've been re-thinking about what I wanna do with my life. Right now I am currently getting my degree in teaching, but for some reason I just feel like it's not for me. Now I love Japanese culture and have been taking Japanese for almost years now. Plus I also wanna work with te videogame industry too, so maybe a translator? Idk, I feel kinda scared telling my mom about this bc I would feel like she wasted money on something that wasn't right for me. What should I do?

Well it's a good thing I saw this...

I just finished my first year as well. I was originally going to study to be an English teacher. But then I ended up switching to English Communications (with a minor in Graphic Design)- because teaching didn't feel right, and since I'm a jack of all trades with the arts, I figured I would be happier with that. I want to get into the voice acting field, preferably for video games, but I also need to be able to hold a job somewhere- that pertains for my degree, since voice acting wouldn't be a full time job, and I don't even know how to get into the field so... Do something that compliments your talents, and then aim for your translating, or getting into the game industry. Since you won't have a full time job translating, and I'm sure it's not the easiest thing to get into, so you need to have some solid backing. My degree will be incredibly versatile- especially if I round out my English degree. I could get a masters in anything that is in the English realm.

The Toketsukage

I feel you. I've been trying to figure out for a couple of years now what I want to do. My major is political science, but recently i've been thinking a Philosophy major is more of my thing. I just like to sit and research things like religion, philosophy, human nature, history, ect. I'm not sure though what career that translates into though. I know what I like to do, I just can't figure out how that translates into a career.

As someone who has been struggling in my college classes because of this issue, let me give you some advice. If you feel really conflicted on what you want to do then take a break from college until you know what to do because if you aren't careful and you start doing things that don't really interest you then you will burn yourself out. Trust me, i've been through it and i'm still going through it to an extent. Now I have to retake some classes to make up for failed grades and get myself back up to speed while still figuring out where I want to go with my degree.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
The secret about college you're never told: your major is only as pertinent to your intended career as you want it to be. Essentially as long as you get educated in something you like and spend time outside of class building experience for your intended work goals, then employers won't really care. You'd be surprised by how many of my friends majored in something and now work in a job pretty much unrelated, but still make a good amount of money because they got the degree and spent plenty of time outside of class getting experience so they were qualified.

tl;dr
1. get college degree in something you like
2. work lots outside of class (internships, student orgs, etc)
3. the key is getting the skills you know you'll need in the long term (from aforementioned extra curricular activities)

Disclosure

I went through two years of university before I dropped out because I found that Magazine Journalism wasn't something that I wanted to pursue. I can see why you're worried about telling your loved ones about this because I felt exactly the same. At the end of the day, you've got to do what is best for you otherwise you aren't going to be happy and it's not going to help you in the long run. Make sure that you aren't too hasty with your decision making and perhaps sit down and talk to someone you can trust about your options and where you see yourself in ten years, etc. etc. Sometimes a discussion and getting things out in the open can make a huge difference on your perception of the dilemma you are faced with. Now that I've actually dropped out, it has to be said that I am a little regretful about making a decision and being so hasty with it because I did only have one year left and a degree under my belt would have been pretty great.

I guess my advice to you is to really think about what you want to do and discuss it with someone. Perhaps even discuss your concerns with your Mother and see what she has to say about it, she might actually be a lot more understanding then you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back