• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Strange World (2022)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

palizinhas

Awards
Depending on how this movie ends and if it does well it could become a franchise super easily. It being only their "latest" adventure and not their last or first could result in prequels or sequels with no need to force it.

Obviously can't say if I'll truly enjoy the movie yet, but the world's landscape looks super fun. I've come to expect Disney movies to be, if not good, at least really pretty to look at.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I think it's meant to throw back to Indiana Jones, which the ducktales logo is based on.
Well that makes a lot of sense! I clearly watched more DuckTales than Indiana Jones growing up. Lol

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Really happy for Qui Nguyen. He was a lecturer of mine in college years ago, so it's great to see that his own projects/his name got out there (first with Raya). Let alone co-directing a DISNEY film.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Hard to believe this is only a little over a month away now. I've been more interested to see it since the first trailer came out, although I'm still skeptical. Ethan reminds me of Jim Hawkins, one of my favorite Disney characters that manages to salvage another film (Treasure Planet) with a lot of flaws, so perhaps Ethan will make me like this anyway in case the rest of the film is so-so. Searcher looks fun, too, though.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Has anyone seen this? Literally no one has talked about it. Hardly even Disney, it seems.

I'm trying to get tickets to go with my nieces and nephews, and showings have all but dried up not even two weeks post-Thanksgiving. Like, I'm used to these Christmas release films staying wide open through the holidays at least.

Elysium

Awards
I saw it its first day. It was alright. Didn't love it, didn't hate it, had a few good moments almost always due to either Searcher or the dog. Not one of those I'm clamoring to see again like Raya, Encanto, or PIXAR's Turning Red, but I'll pick up a Blu-ray copy eventually for sure.

WaltK

Awards
I saw it last week, and my response was a resounding "meh".

I loved the animation and the world designs, but the plot was pretty unremarkable, and the way Searcher and Ethan's falling out and making up was written just felt forced, cliched, ect.

Last edited:

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I don't know, guys. I just saw it this afternoon, and I fell in love.

The animation was top-notch. The aesthetic was: chef's kiss, and I'm a sucker for pulp (and vintage) sci-fi in general. Glad I got to see this in theaters! I want this to be a KH world for the bouncy physics and Heartless designs alone. Being able to see the literal [I]heart of the world[/I] would be dope. I genuinely enjoyed the story as well. I was touched by the dynamic relationships told between generations of fathers and sons, and it was great to see representation so normalized, in a main character no less!

Other miscellaneous highlights for me were the hilarious and understated delivery by Meridian's voice actress Gabrielle Union, the quirky, mute (Disney staples) Legend and Splat, and the blink-and-miss-it Firely reference. See: above sci-fi nerditry. Also, I feel like Alan Tudyk must be under contract with the Mouse. He's been in everything they've put out recently.

A quick and dirty decade snapshot says this probably ranks higher than the most recent Encanto for me, which I enjoyed, and leagues above 2013's Frozen, which I did.. not so much.

Elysium

Awards
TP&TF, Frozen, Raya are the only three Revival films I'd say I "love," Encanto and Frozen II are both very good, and I liked Zootopia and Moana. Strange World is sort of in that same area with Tangled for me, good points but I didn't react strongly enough to them for me to feel more than they're okay. Both are still tenfold better than WIR, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and Big Hero 6 though. I only liked Vanellope, King Candy, and "In This Place (Called Slaughter Race)" about the former films and Tadashi about the latter, everything else...

I was never really looking forward to Strange World aside from the fact that there was going to be a LGBT character, if I'm being honest; if anything, that movie turned out much better than I expected considering those kinds of sci-fi adventure films aren't really my genre. Wish and Frozen III are the things on the slate I've been looking forward to. So much about Wish is exciting for me, I'll have to go into the theater with a measured mind so I don't have my expectations too high. I had to do the same with TP&TF and Raya, too, I was looking forward to both of those from the moment they were announced and loved everything I saw--thankfully I did end up loving both of them. Frozen, Encanto, and Zootopia were more cases where I went in expecting the absolute worst and came out loving and/or enjoying them (to varying degrees).

Back