• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Strange Phobias.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KH-Lover

Website
www.formspring.me
Hey there!

I have this, well, sort of problem. It's been there for a while, I've only talked with one person about it, but it didn't help too much.

Anyways, I have some really strange phobias. One of them is getting a papercut in my eye. I don't know how it started, but it's just there. It gets to the point where sometimes I'm so paranoid, I won't hold the paper.

Another one is my really bad fear of the dark. No, it's not just the dark though. I end up imagining things that linger in the dark and are "out to get me". Maybe from watching horror movies? Not likely. The only movies I watched that were remotely close to scary were "The Crazies" and "Splice".

The last wierd phobia is when I'm in the washroom. When I look at a mirror in the washroom, I freak. I always end up thinking that there's something behind me or something. Every bump I hear, every creak, it makes me think that something I imagine in the dark will kill me in the washroom. I'm not afraid of mirrors though. It's just that one in the washroom. :/

So, I was wondering, are there any ways of getting rid of these fears? I've tried telling myself they aren't real, it worked for a bit, then it totally stopped working. And, lastly, does anyone else have some strange phobias like this, or am I the ony one with these phobias?

Thanks,
KH-Lover.

SorasTwilight

Website
www.youravon.com
well as for me I had a fear of eating that i didnt eat for 2 months cuz i was afraid of choking. The best way to let go fear is to face fear itself. I sumtimes am afriad of the dark and wonder if anyone is out to get me but i keep my mind off of it and think happy thoughts, like if im doin anything tomorrow or just by dreaming. Jst be creative on getting over ur fears and b4 u kno it u wont be scared anymore. The cockroaches? I jst pretend Im the Hulk and the cockroaches are the little people and I SMASH! Muhahahahaha! ;)

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Butterflies and Moths are my biggest phobia. Can't stomach them, even the tiny ones.

This summer has been hell.

I suppose killing them is helping me to confront the phobia...for moths at least.

Last edited:

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Getting rid of phobias can be difficult, and really, unless it's getting in the way of your everyday life, it's not really necessary to get rid of them. So like if you couldn't go into a restroom anymore because of the mirror, or you couldn't sleep because of the dark. Or if the paper cut thing really created intense anxiety.

If I remember correctly from psychology, then there are pretty much two basic forms of therapy for getting rid of phobias. Desensitization, where you're gradually exposed to a fear (but not so much so that you are afraid or thrown into an anxiety attack), each exposure is like a baby step, closing in on the main fear. And then there's flooding where you are exposed to the worst situation right away, which is a lot harder for some people to handle, but a lot more efficient as far as time goes.

Basically the point of getting rid of any phobia is you have to expose yourself to it, or else how would you know it can't hurt you?

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, the only way to get rid of a phobia is to confront it.
You see, I'm afraid of heights, and always have been. The only reason I still am though is because I'm to much of a chicken to face my fear.

At least you don't have Phobopohiba though, the fear of fears. There isn't really a way to cure that.

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
duck-ad.jpg

~*Luna*~

Oww you made me wince with the paper clip one. :< I've heard the mirror phobia plenty of times, it's common. Silly though. It probably stemmed from childhood. I never used to go downstairs in the dark until about a month ago because I realised that I'm 19 and it's very irrational. : P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back