• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stereotyping in Gaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Yeah... We went kind of off topic in that last thread. Why not make a whole new thread without derailing any others?

D

Deleted member 36435

probably a good idea to have something to contribute to the discussion before starting a thread on it

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
probably a good idea to have something to contribute to the discussion before starting a thread on it

There is plenty to contribute on from the FF7R thread that was derailed and closed.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I kind of don't even want to know what happened after I commented that and had to log off. Definitely snowballed into something fierce I imagine o.o

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Basically; i replied to a member how anita saarkeesian and her treatment was showing how SJWs are necessary for gaming and another member was calling her a hypocrite, saying that she and any members who looked up to her should be killed.

Tl;dr it got lit

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Basically; i replied to a member how anita saarkeesian and her treatment was showing how SJWs are necessary for gaming and another member was calling her a hypocrite, saying that she and any members who looked up to her should be killed.

Tl;dr it got lit

Well her morals are pretty awful to gaming and politics in general, and she is in fact just an all around horrible and hypocritical person, but that's no reason to incite death on people. That's not gonna solve anything.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Well her morals are pretty awful to gaming and politics in general, and she is in fact just an all around horrible and hypocritical person, but that's no reason to incite death on people. That's not gonna solve anything.

I know little about her but i read an interview with her on GI and it seemed to be on point. She was doing a speech st a college and it received numerous death threats.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I just don't feel comfortable being condescended to by someone who thinks the worst thing in the world is to give a shit and that being gay has something to do with testosterone.

When did it become cool to not care about other people? That's honestly the heart of it

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I know little about her but i read an interview with her on GI and it seemed to be on point. She was doing a speech st a college and it received numerous death threats.

What's even funnier is that a lot of the games she attacks and belittles she in fact owns in her collection and plays in her downtime, like Fallout especially. I just can't even begin haha

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I don't get the hate with her, every time she pops up I see a different reason why she's awful, like the last time I heard of her the common chant was that she didn't play games? You can play games and tear them apart? Have you met the kingdom hearts fandom?

i side eye the whole thing knowing it was started by a disgruntled ex

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I am getting continuously confused the more i hear about her

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
It kinda starts with the basic fundamental foundation of 'if you don't like it, don't buy it'. No one should EVER have any say of what should be in a game or other form of entertainment than the artist themselves.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
I figure that it's possible to be courteous of others without being overly PC. It's also possible to point out tropes and stereotypes without flipping out and acting supremely offended on some minority's behalf.

Neither side knows how to keep it civil, tbh. :I

Though I do find it hilarious that people will quibble over gender roles and terminology while gleefully ignoring the violence; you're supposed to be killing other people, which is a worse crime, all things considered, even if it's through fantastical means such as magic or illogical swordplay. But hey, I'm not gonna complain about it. If you're an omnicidal maniac, no one will accuse you of being a sexist bigot. =w= (Ugh it's a joke, don't shoot me.)

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
It kinda starts with the basic fundamental foundation of 'if you don't like it, but buy it'. No one should EVER have any say of what should be in a game or other form of entertainment than the artist themselves.

I disagree, it's a reviewer's job to sample and study a bunch of media in order to critique it. Reviews should come from people who consume all kinds of media and if video games are ever going to be taken seriously then the genre needs to be studied and critiqued. It's the only way we can get a well rounded view of things. That should extend even to groups we don't agree with

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It kinda starts with the basic fundamental foundation of 'if you don't like it, don't buy it'. No one should EVER have any say of what should be in a game or other form of entertainment than the artist themselves.

I wouldn't say that. There are pieces of "art" which are straight up racist and sexist. Many aren't, and on those i believe the less represented groups have a right to say how they'd like to get portrayed, if they are at all.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
That's true, and further the artist has their say when they create the thing, but the consumers are tasked with viewing it and talkin about it forever. It doesn't change the media you champion to be critical of it.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Not to mention the games that are just plain bad. If you're going to release a passionless piece of shit and say "enjoy", people are going to complain and rightfully so. Every piece of media is subject to criticism.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
And I think a lot of people are afraid that criticism leads to censorship, and I agree that censorship is a bad thing. However, most people who are critics of these issues are more interested in stopping the thought process that leads to these selections as opposed to getting rid of a piece of media that aready exists.

Wonderful

Awards
you know all she is doing is critiquing the stuff in the games right? like, do you say the same to film critics and book reviewers? critique and analysization is a key part of any medium, why is it different for games? a critique isn't the same as censorship. the artist puts their work out there, but no work is complete without the audience reacting to that.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
And I think a lot of people are afraid that criticism leads to censorship, and I agree that censorship is a bad thing. However, most people who are critics of these issues are more interested in stopping the thought process that leads to these selections as opposed to getting rid of a piece of media that aready exists.

Yeah but most people would rather take the nuclear option than accept change. There was a law passed that if a special kind of gun was sold, a pistol requiring the owners fingerprints, that it would be the only gun allowed to be sold. Naturally, 'mericans sent death threats. Why? Fuck if i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back