• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stereotyping in Gaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I find being threatened with death and rape pretty terrorizing; I don't find someone complaining about scantily clad women on Youtube terrorizing.

You're taking it a little out of context but sure. It may start as something trivial like this, but give them the means and they will do more of this and expand it into a much grander scale. It always starts at the smaller things but it always leads to the bigger things if left uncontrolled. That will send a message to all the other people that have no control and will give them the confidence to dictate something like this. I'm leaving it at that.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
You're taking it a little out of context but sure. It may start as something trivial like this, but give them the means and they will do more of this and expand it into a much grander scale. It always starts at the smaller things but it always leads to the bigger things if left uncontrolled. That will send a message to all the other people that have no control and will give them the confidence to dictate something like this. I'm leaving it at that.

Yeah, people flaming game companies is much worse than threats of death and rape. God forbid they cancel a game but who cares if somebody's life is ruined?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
She wouldn't have what little "authority" she holds if people didn't react in such a bizarrely hostile way.

If any media gets censored over this (it won't), then it's your own fault for giving her all this attention.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
She wouldn't have what little "authority" she holds if people didn't react in such a bizarrely hostile way.

If any media gets censored over this (it won't), then it's your own fault for giving her all this attention.

This is a good point, like the amount of hate I've seen? We got one thread shut down already because someone said anyone who supports her should be shot.

Like, you honestly believe she never got death threats? Her article on rational wiki sums it up pretty well:

[h=2]See what you did?[/h]There has been a recognised effect from the attacks on Anita Sarkeesian:

• The rabid attacks against her, turning her into a victim and pushing public attention towards her, are probably the major reason why she managed to get so much money from her Kickstarter, which has allowed her to make a living as a feminist activist and commentator.
  • Industry professionals have gone out of their way to stand up for her,[31] and have since showered her in a truckload of awards for awareness of sexism in video games.[32][33]
  • There is now an adage called Anita's Irony that exists because of her:
Online discussion of sexism or misogyny quickly results in disproportionate displays of sexism and misogyny.[34]

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
This is a good point, like the amount of hate I've seen? We got one thread shut down already because someone said anyone who supports her should be shot.

Like, you honestly believe she never got death threats? Her article on rational wiki sums it up pretty well:

[h=2]See what you did?[/h]There has been a recognised effect from the attacks on Anita Sarkeesian:

• The rabid attacks against her, turning her into a victim and pushing public attention towards her, are probably the major reason why she managed to get so much money from her Kickstarter, which has allowed her to make a living as a feminist activist and commentator.
  • Industry professionals have gone out of their way to stand up for her,[31] and have since showered her in a truckload of awards for awareness of sexism in video games.[32][33]
  • There is now an adage called Anita's Irony that exists because of her:
Online discussion of sexism or misogyny quickly results in disproportionate displays of sexism and misogyny.[34]

This says a whole fucking lot about our society.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I'm just really upset that they censored Mika's buttslap in Street Fighter V.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Here's my take on this issue:

Some male gamers seem to think that they're entitled to having sexually objectified women in their games. Others refuse to even play as female characters unless they're attractive, or play as them at all simply because they're female. This is actually a problem. And yes, it's sexism. Dragon Age was called a "SJW game" because the female characters weren't hot and this was seen by some people as an attack on male gamers (which is just ridiculous).

Whether they want to admit it or not, Anita Sarkeesian has actually made quite a few valid points in her videos. She has also said many questionable things, but it's ignorant to dismiss the former just because you find her annoying because of the latter. It's very unfortunate that due to her being so polarising a lot of actual bigots like to throw around words like "femi-nazi" and "SJW" in an attempt to discredit the other party and justify their own warped view of the world. Those people are just as extreme as those who think that absolutely everything is a problem. They're just on the opposite side of the spectrum.

The world is full of female gamers. If you're not one of them, put yourself in their shoes and imagine that most male characters were seen through a female gaze and their ability to arouse female gamers would be their most defining feature in many games. Imagine that most protagonists were of the female variety, and few of them wore anything revealing and they weren't necessarily good looking either because female gamers, who in this scenario would make up the majority of all gamers, don't care if they're good looking or not as long as they're well written characters. And then imagine plenty of female gamers would laugh at you for wanting more male characters with some personality and not just good looks and sexy armour. On top of that, imagine people thinking you were just posing and that you weren't a "real" gamer because gaming's for girls. And you would have to get used to receiving requests for dick pictures.

Gaming is not about the sexual needs of heterosexual men. It's not a men's club. It's supposed to be inclusive - a hobby for people from all walks of life.

But here is also where I strongly disagree with Sarkeesian and many other feminists. I'm not against sexual content in video games. The problem is not the content itself as much as it is the lack of equal representation. You just don't get nearly as many sexually objectified male characters in gaming. And I'm not counting make nudity as a comedic prop, or so-called "power fantasies". A ripped shirtless guy is not sexually objectified by default.

If you're okay with female nudity, you also need to be okay with the possibility of male nudity to the same degree. Otherwise you're really just a hypocrite. And I could be wrong, but from what I've seen so far most of the guys who champion for their rights to see polygon breasts either don't care about male nudity or they even think it shouldn't be in games because it doesn't cater to their needs (and this makes them part of the problem).

Look at Bravely Default. Agnes and Edea received some sexy costumes in Japan that were edited to be less revealing for the western version. This is the kind of stuff that people like to complain about. And so they did. But I don't ever recall seeing people complain that a very, very revealing outfit for Tiz (which was pure fan service for female gamers) got removed entirely! But I did see some people who saw it go "eeew, that's gay... don't want that in my game!". Again, that's just hypocrisy.

And then there's the inclusion of gay characters. If developers include them, they're just "pandering to SJW's". Because it's not possible that the people who make these games are open-minded and diverse themselves? If it's obvious and also mentioned that they're gay, you get the response "why did they have to announce it? it's not relevant to the plot! they're just pushing the gay agenda on us!". If the character just happens to be gay, like Bill from the Last of Us or Kung Jin from Mortal Kombat X and it's not literally spelled out many people will first say "no, he's not gay!" and make up some stupid excuse as to why he isn't even when it's implied by the game and you're supposed to come to that conclusion on your own (meaning, it has no bearing on the plot and is just a good portrayal of a person who happens to be gay). Then when it's confirmed by the developers that he's gay, and this was the case with both Bill and Kung Jin btw, people will accuse the developer of "pandering to SJW's" and argue that we never needed to know that they were gay.

In short, damned if you do and damned if you don't. Apparently, according to some people there should never be a gay character in a video game at all and there's no right way to include one. But we do need to have romance and love scenes between heterosexual couples all the time and that is never an issue even if when it's completely irrelevant to the plot. And then these people refuse to admit that they're bigots.

Seriously. More people need to realise that you're not playing as yourself in a video game. That you're not the main character. That the gender, sexual orientation or skin colour of the character you're playing as is irrelevant because s/he is not you. It should also not be relevant whether the character is attractive or not!

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
There are times when women who are usually sexualized don't need to be. In the next expansion of Word of Warcraft one character who is usually not wearing a lot of clothes is fully garbed in armor from the neck down (it's the second one from the right). It makes sense because who goes into battle against demons in their underwear?

On second thought that sounds amazing.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
There's the female armour trope, which is indeed a problem. If you're going for an unrealistic sexy look then make both male and female characters wear revealing armour. If you're going for something more realistic, make everyone wear proper armour. The problem is when only the female character is wearing something revealing. Unfortunately, many gamers misinterpret this as criticism against revealing armour for female characters. It's the imbalance that's the issue. It creates a sexist power dynamic.

Wander

That's it, I demand more male characters in sexy armour! I am entitled to this as a consumer! I also demand realistic body proportions and muscle mass, no male looks like the warriors in WoW!

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
First world problems to me

If women being treated like sex objects and threatened with rape and murder is a first world problem then you have a very limited understanding of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back