• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stereotyping in Gaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Back on subject, i think a lot of things in this thread are a bit excessive and one-sided. Making me nostalgic of old KHI tbh.

Wonderful

Awards
And if feminazi is a little too much for some people, how about terrorists - "unauthorized use of violence or intimidation in the pursuit of political arms." Seems like that fits the bill. That's exactly what these feminists and social just-us warriors did very recently with Tecmo Koei and Play Asia concerning DOAX3. What's even more sad is that Tecmo bowed down to their garbage and isn't releasing the game internationally. I don't even care what the content of the game is, you don't ever do that to a company and threaten them in that way
I really can't believe you're comparing this to terrorism. Like, lord. Your link isn't even full of threats, it's literally just people tweeting that they personally aren't going to patronage Play-Asia anymore, which is totally their right. Nobody owes anybody their business. (You yourself have even championed the whole "don't like it, don't buy it" approach?)

And "we're not releasing this game because we're afraid people will criticize it" is a far cry from censorship and terrorism, my god. If you're going to make games like that at least have the conviction to stand behind it and not blame it on someone else lol.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I really can't believe you're comparing this to terrorism. Like, lord. Your link isn't even full of threats, it's literally just people tweeting that they personally aren't going to patronage Play-Asia anymore, which is totally their right. Nobody owes anybody their business. (You yourself have even championed the whole "don't like it, don't buy it" approach?)

And "we're not releasing this game because we're afraid people will criticize it" is a far cry from censorship and terrorism, my god. If you're going to make games like that at least have the conviction to stand behind it and not blame it on someone else lol.

I'm honestly flabbergasted if you're on those people's side, I can't even fathom how you can support it. And yes. Terrorism. Look at the definition. Unauthorized use of violence or intimidation in the pursuit of political arms. That is exactly what these just-us warriors are doing. The very people who were going to bitch about it are now celebrating most likely that the game is not coming stateside. And they were never going to buy it in the first place.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
This took off in a very unexpected direction. Holy shit. Who was violently threatened? O my godddd

Wonderful

Awards
I'm honestly flabbergasted if you're on those people's side, I can't even fathom how you can support it. And yes. Terrorism. Look at the definition. Unauthorized use of violence or intimidation in the pursuit of political arms. That is exactly what these just-us warriors are doing. The very people who were going to bitch about it are now celebrating most likely that the game is not coming stateside. And they were never going to buy it in the first place.
yeah... that is not the same as terrorism, my god. it is a critics job to critique media. the fact that a company is worried about negative critiques and thus don't want to release something is not on the critics. at all. like in no way shape or form. it is not their job to play nice? and none of them are intimidating game companies. like you're basically saying critics should be denied their freedom of speech for the benefit of large corporations. how can you not see you're on the wrong side of that issue?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
yeah... that is not the same as terrorism, my god. it is a critics job to critique media. the fact that a company is worried about negative critiques and thus don't want to release something is not on the critics. at all. like in no way shape or form. it is not their job to play nice? and none of them are intimidating game companies. like you're basically saying critics should be denied their freedom of speech for the benefit of large corporations. how can you not see you're on the wrong side of that issue?

He had a very different opinion regarding star wars battlefront i gotta say.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
like you're basically saying critics should be denied their freedom of speech for the benefit of large corporations. how can you not see you're on the wrong side of that issue?

Uh, no. They can spout out all they want showcasing their ignorance on twitter all day long. The second where their foul cry affects options like this is where the line of stupidity is drawn.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Uh, no. They can spout out all they want showcasing their ignorance on twitter all day long. The second where their foul cry affects options like this is where the line of stupidity is drawn.

Star Wars: Battlefront .

Wonderful

Awards
literally no one is stopping them from publishing it. you do realize that, right? like regardless of them fearing criticism from critics that the vast majority of gamers don't even listen to, nothing is actually stopping them from releasing it. they are choosing not to (and more evidence supports it being because of dwindling sales, not fear of criticism, especially since they have come out and said this was just the opinion of one employee and not representative of the company's actual stance on the game's localization).

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Star Wars: Battlefront .

Literally not the same situation at all. EA is extorting the consumer for more content that should've been on the disc. The option is there, gross as it may be, but it's still there. These people are trying to eradicate any and all options of obtaining this game.

Wonderful

Awards
These people are trying to eradicate any and all options of obtaining this game.
Except they're not??? Do you live in some alternate reality where feminist critics rallied together and petitioned for this game to not be released and Tecmo had no choice but to bow to their demands? Because that's not what happened, at all. I don't think this game was even on anyone's radar (except the fans of the series) until this became news. Most feminist critics look at DoA with an eyeroll and leave it at that lol.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Yeah, because you talking about that game is the first I've heard of it and I pretty much live on Tumblr.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Literally not the same situation at all. EA is extorting the consumer for more content that should've been on the disc. The option is there, gross as it may be, but it's still there. These people are trying to eradicate any and all options of obtaining this game.

But regardless, if the consumer didn't complain about the crummy practices, then the publisher would be able to get away with shipping off half baked games.

Wonderful

Awards
https://t.co/wEk00wNC7Y

i mean the game was even initially announced as being exclusive to japan, because, guess what, it just doesn't sell well in the states. the second game sold like 100k in the states. like it just isn't viable for them.

honestly this whole fake controversy comes across more as a cynical marketing attempt more than anything.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
But regardless, if the consumer didn't complain about the crummy practices, then the publisher would be able to get away with shipping off half baked games.

EA already does still ship half baked games so I don't know where you're going with that, if we're lucky they started listening to the true remarks said about that 'game' and can change in the future. It's literally not the same situation at all

Wonderful said:
i mean the game was even initially announced as being exclusive to japan, because, guess what, it just doesn't sell well in the states. the second game sold like 100k in the states. like it just isn't viable for them.

Except more than half the series' sales figures come from the states? Not viable at all /s
Also the fact that they originally were on Xbox now this is on the PS4, which already has a HUGE, given its age, install base around the world.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
These people are trying to eradicate any and all options of obtaining this game.

It's a small vocal minority doing this, their threats are empty and they had no intentions of buying the game to begin with, Play Asia ignored their threats because they have much more power to do so, and nobody's stopped selling it.

No political statement has been made. It's a game with ladies with almost nothing on with large boobs fight and play volleyball or something and nobody but the fans of the game really care about it. No personal rights were violated. Nobody's died or been injured.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
It's a small vocal minority doing this, their threats are empty and they had no intentions of buying the game to begin with, Play Asia ignored their threats because they have much more power to do so, and nobody's stopped selling it.

Yes, so the media needs to stop treating them bigger than they actually are, feeding into their egos so they can start here and build up from there. It's way past the time to simply ignore them and hope they go away.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I find being threatened with death and rape pretty terrorizing; I don't find someone complaining about scantily clad women on Youtube terrorizing.

Wonderful

Awards
Three months ago, Koei-Tecmo revealed Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 (the latest in their spin-off series of volleyball sims featuring the cast of their Dead or Alive fighting games) and announced that they weren't planning to release it in the West unless they saw evidence that there was high demand for it. That evidence never materialised, and so the game isn't going to be release outside of Asia.Normally that would be the end of the story, except for some reason someone at Koei-Tecmo decided to invoke the spectre of Western feminist criticism while explaining the decision on Facebook. I quote:

"Do you know many issues happening in video game industry with regard to how to treat female in video game industry? We do not want to talk those things here. But certainly we have gone
through in last year or two to come to our decision. Thank you."

There's a certain degree of ambiguity surrounding the statement - it's not very clear how the treatment of women in the games industry relates to DoAX3 in the author's eyes, but the general consensus seems to be that they expect negative feedback from Western critics, and they are so unwilling to engage with it that they'd rather not release the game at all.

It doesn't make much sense at all, really.

If you've never played a DoAX game before, you are far from alone. Fortunately I happen to own both previous games in the series - I've been saying for years that I bought them "for research purposes", and this very article has finally given me the opportunity to legitimise the shit out of that.

Publisher Chooses Not To Release Game In Unprofitable Territories | Midnight Resistance
this is a pretty fair article on the whole thing and i think it is worth a read (and it took me forever to find this after i saw it a week ago on twitter ooof.)

I find being threatened with death and rape pretty terrorizing; I don't find someone complaining about scantily clad women on Youtube terrorizing.
Yeah, this.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back