• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Stereotyping in Gaming

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wander

I believe the original discussion was about Barret Wallace? In which case I'll just say that the character's design is a remnant of the past, and while he has been redesigned for the remake I wouldn't be surprised if they were going for something similar this time around. There's nothing inherently stereotypical about the character himself aside from appearance, at least imo. So I don't think it's worth getting worked up over.

As for the topic in general, I think it's something that's becoming less and less of a problem as we move forward (okay, give Japan a couple more years). I do think people get too defensive about political correctness though, speaking as a gay PoC. As previously stated games and other media are a form of expression of the creators, and unless something is intentionally and explicitly offensive I don't think we should be too up-in-arms about it.

...Okay, give Japan a few more decades.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
you know all she is doing is critiquing the stuff in the games right?

ha okay, no that is not all that she does. She and Zoe Quinn (ugh) just recently went to the UN to preach on internet censorship. If some nobody like her can get that position and have all these sad world leaders to eat it up, then I just can't believe how stupid our leaders can be. These femi-nazis who absolutely hate the idea of someone disagreeing with them, play victim when they are proved to be lying and hate being put on the spot due to that and misdirect attention elsewhere so they get away scott-free. And now they're trying to find a way to avoid ever being challenged again. It's absolutely sickening.

But I digress because this doesn't pertain to gaming

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I believe the original discussion was about Barret Wallace? In which case I'll just say that the character's design is a remnant of the past, and while he has been redesigned for the remake I wouldn't be surprised if they were going for something similar this time around. There's nothing inherently stereotypical about the character himself aside from appearance, at least imo. So I don't think it's worth getting worked up over.

As for the topic in general, I think it's something that's becoming less and less of a problem as we move forward (okay, give Japan a couple more years). I do think people get too defensive about political correctness though, speaking as a gay PoC. As previously stated games and other media are a form of expression of the creators, and unless something is intentionally and explicitly offensive I don't think we should be too up-in-arms about it.

...Okay, give Japan a few more decades.

I always just thought barret was a parody of Mr. T rather than a stereotype.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
ha okay, no that is not all that she does. She and Zoe Quinn (ugh) just recently went to the UN to preach on internet censorship. If some nobody like her can get that position and have all these sad world leaders to eat it up, then I just can't believe how stupid our leaders can be. These femi-nazis who absolutely hate the idea of someone disagreeing with them, play victim when they are proved to be lying and hate being put on the spot due to that and misdirect attention elsewhere so they get away scott-free. And now they're trying to find a way to avoid ever being challenged again. It's absolutely sickening.

Uhhh. Where is your chill dude. What has she said that was so bad? And, femi nazis? Looool

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It's weird, it's like truth speech nowadays is considered hate speech to some.

You're completely avoiding the subject, i just asked what was so bad? I've only read one interview of her so I'm in the dark.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Femi-nazi is a really gross term for a woman, no matter who it's about. :c

But, you're referring to two women who, no matter what they said or did, were harassed beyond what any person deserves. They were doxxed (this is HORRIFYING), families threatened with being murdered, they themselves were threatened with death and rape. If they're prickly now and believe in internet censorship, who can really blame them? It's the publics own fault for using the internet as a tool to try to destroy a life. Not suggesting I agree with them, as I feel part of the price we pay for an open and free internet is... that shit, but I'm not surprised that's where they fell on the issue.

Sure, maybe Sarkeesian had some opinions that were a bit far in terms of how women are treated in games (though she also had some good points) but these women's opinions weren't challenged, their very safety has been taken from them. I don't know how they keep going; I would have been too scared to keep voicing my opinion or keep working in games.

And in the case of Quinn the situation is even more ridiculous, she had a shitty ex boyfriend who decided their relationship drama was the world's business. I read his blog. Whatever she did, it wasn't the business of the internet. This weird campaign against her was under the guise that one of the people she slept with gave her indie game a favorable review which never even happened. And who even cares if that were the case? People give video games favorable reviews for stupid reasons all of the time, like IGN gets free games and perks for positive reviews.

Now I don't want my games censored either. I like having ridiculous games with ridiculous content, but I also understand the frustration of being a woman and not feeling like you're being represented properly in games. I think we're a lot better in this regard than we were but there are some games, that even though I like, they absolutely treat women badly. It's a double edged sword.

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

But, you're referring to two women who, no matter what they said or did, were harassed beyond what any person deserves. They were doxxed (this is HORRIFYING), families threatened with being murdered, they themselves were threatened with death and rape. If they're prickly now and believe in internet censorship, who can really blame them? It's the publics own fault for using the internet as a tool to try to destroy a life. Not suggesting I agree with them, as I feel part of the price we pay for an open and free internet is... that shit, but I'm not surprised that's where they fell on the issue.

Sure, maybe Sarkeesian had some opinions that were a bit far in terms of how women are treated in games (though she also had some good points) but these women's opinions weren't challenged, their very safety has been taken from them. I don't know how they keep going; I would have been too scared to keep voicing my opinion or keep working in games.

And in the case of Quinn the situation is even more ridiculous, she had a shitty ex boyfriend who decided their relationship drama was the world's business. I read his blog. Whatever she did, it wasn't the business of the internet. This weird campaign against her was under the guise that one of the people she slept with gave her indie game a favorable review which never even happened. And who even cares if that were the case? People give video games favorable reviews for stupid reasons all of the time, like IGN gets free games and perks for positive reviews.

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

Those are some extreme opinions tbh

shuyin_zer0

Awards

I don't get how anyone can still support Sarkeesian. She is a con-artist who fakes death threats (the police were asked about the case when she claimed to have "got them involved," and they had NO such record of her apparent complaints), cherry-picks clips from games to cry wolf, and refuses to debate anyone, even when she was offered $10,000 for Feminist Frequency or any cause of her choice (you know someone is full of shit when they aren't even willing to have their opinions challenged in a civil manner). Quinn is no different. Actually, her supporters are just the same. Try to refute them, and they pretend you don't exist, belittle you, call you a sockpuppet, etc. I can't see this topic going anywhere positive. lol.

Though, I hate using the term "feminazi," think about it; Nazism gained power through fear mongering and spreading lies to keep relevancy, and modern feminism is does exactly this to women (though nowhere near to that extreme, obviously). Wage gap? Proven myth. Time and time again. "1 in 5" rape/sexual assault claim? Debunked, even by the individuals that conducted the study.

It's always good to call out sexism, racism, etc, but 3rd-wave feminism, and people who actually fall for this shit are not helping the cause. Modern activism in general is more about crying and exaggerating problems rather than actually solving them. i mean, if they were solved, what would they have left to fight for?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I don't get how anyone can still support Sarkeesian. She is a con-artist who fakes death threats (the police were asked about the case when she claimed to have "got them involved," and they had NO such record of her apparent complaints), cherry-picks clips from games to cry wolf, and refuses to debate anyone, even when she was offered $10,000 for Feminist Frequency or any cause of her choice (you know someone is full of shit when they aren't even willing to have their opinions challenged in a civil manner). Quinn is no different. Actually, her supporters are just the same. Try to refute them, and they pretend you don't exist, belittle you, call you a sockpuppet, etc. I can't see this topic going anywhere positive. lol.

Though, I hate using the term "feminazi," think about it; Nazism gained power through fear mongering and spreading lies to keep relevancy, and modern feminism is does exactly this to women (though nowhere near to that extreme, obviously). Wage gap? Proven myth. Time and time again. "1 in 5" rape/sexual assault claim? Debunked, even by the individuals that conducted the study.

It's always good to call out sexism, racism, etc, but 3rd-wave feminism, and people who actually fall for this shit are not helping the cause. Modern activism in general is more about crying and exaggerating problems rather than actually solving them. i mean, if they were solved, what would they have left to fight for?

It still doesn't change the fact that people went way overboard. Overreaction is too damn common nowadays.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Last time I checked, there was a difference between supporting someone (and their ideas) and just having a common amount of respect towards people not wishing them death threats. :/

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

I'm sorry, I'll apologize to you for using that term, but not for anything else. And even apologizing for a WORD is proving the sad effectiveness of our vile PC culture.

Thank you.

And if feminazi is a little too much for some people, how about terrorists - "unauthorized use of violence or intimidation in the pursuit of political arms." Seems like that fits the bill. That's exactly what these feminists and social just-us warriors did very recently with Tecmo Koei and Play Asia concerning DOAX3. What's even more sad is that Tecmo bowed down to their garbage and isn't releasing the game internationally. I don't even care what the content of the game is, you don't ever do that to a company and threaten them in that way

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It is literally about video games why is the word terrorist getting thrown around?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't even care what the content of the game is, you don't ever do that to a company and threaten them in that way

A company is not a singular person. Although they are comprised of people, they have well more than enough power to not have to care about threats towards them unless they are of a physically destructive or potentially physically destructive nature.

This is literally the typical fair of the internet. Hardly worth calling them terrorists, unless you equate actual physical violent attacks that kill multiple people based on ideologies that violate human rights to angry people complaining about a video game on Twitter?

Last edited:

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
This subject is becoming quite salty.

original.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back