• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Status of the X Blade post KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Speaking of the X-Blade's design I'm surprised the fact that it was made up of two Kingdom Keys was never addressed. You'd think that would mean something in regards to Sora's Keyblade

I think initially Nomura was going to make the Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D be something really important and integral in BBS which is why he went with the design he did with the X-Blade. Of course, BBS underwent major revisions early on and a lot of the plot changed, so what we ended up with was what we got.

It would be fair to believe that Nomura will probably eventually bring meaning to its design in relation to Sora later on in the future. We all know Nomura can't help himself when it comes to these kinds of details. This is the same man that pulled in old concepts from KH1 and Versus XIII (despite how much he tries to deny it), after all.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think there are some good ideas. One of my biggest complaints is that not all the darknesses had keyblades! Like this is supposed to be a keyblade war and Luxord is messing around with his cards. At least if some of the geeks in the darkness group acquired a keyblade then maybe you can say they got stronger so maybe Sora can't beat them this time but nope.

It's literally beating Ansem Sod for like 6th time but this time I am supposed to think Sora and Riku can't beat him.
I mean, the weird thing about the whole 7 light vs. 13 darknesses is that it's never really explained why the X-Blade defaults to Xehanort. You would think that whatever special force (or the X-Blade itself) would sense that the lights were winning and hence materialize for them to use. Instead it goes straight to the darknesses, even though there is only one darkness left (Master Xehanort). I find that interesting because it suggests that the X-Blade is meant to be used by the darkness or is linked to darkness in some way. Regardless of what that means, I don't think Master Xehanort cared if he clones won or not, as long as he lasted until the end to acquire the X-Blade...

Now that I think about it this way, the Kairi kidnapping makes more sense. Since he was the last one, he would have had to clash with someone to summon the X-Blade. If he clashed with Sora (before summoning the X-Blade) and lost, he would have just died and the X-Blade would have appeared for the lights. Which means that he needed an easy kill light (not saying Kairi is weak, but just that he needed someone that he could kill without resistance).

It would have been cool if we reached Xehanort (no kidnapped Kairi) and as we're going to kill him, he pulls out Rapunzel/Anna/Elsa and goes to strike them. Sora pleads for him to kill him instead of them, then Aqua leads the rest of the team against Master Xehanort while Sora finds his way back from The Final World. That would have allowed us to get some videos of TAV, RAX, Riku/Mickey/Kairi fighting Master Xehanort and interacting (without Sora). It could have been a high quality (like the intro video) style fight scene, sort of like FFVII Advent Children when they were all fighting that guy (I can't remember the person's name, but it wasn't Sephiroth).

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Same xD It'll be one of those things where somebody goes "Sora, don't you still have the X-Blade?" and he looks and goes "...u right u right"

Or it'll be this super badass moment where he thought he didn't have it anymore and he's at one of his lowest moments again, and then suddenly he calls upon it and rains down the power of KH on his greatest foe yet......or at least that is something I can imagine Nomura doing because he likes using these shounen tropes.
Yen Sid: "You've lost the X-Blade after being totes dead for a week. Go travel the Disney worlds. You'll definitely gain it back by doing this."

I think initially Nomura was going to make the Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D be something really important and integral in BBS which is why he went with the design he did with the X-Blade. Of course, BBS underwent major revisions early on and a lot of the plot changed, so what we ended up with was what we got.
Ya know what would have been cool? Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D being the busted X-Blade from BBS. Xehanort defeated by his failed attempt would have been fricking sweet.

I mean, the weird thing about the whole 7 light vs. 13 darknesses is that it's never really explained why the X-Blade defaults to Xehanort. You would think that whatever special force (or the X-Blade itself) would sense that the lights were winning and hence materialize for them to use. Instead it goes straight to the darknesses, even though there is only one darkness left (Master Xehanort). I find that interesting because it suggests that the X-Blade is meant to be used by the darkness or is linked to darkness in some way. Regardless of what that means, I don't think Master Xehanort cared if he clones won or not, as long as he lasted until the end to acquire the X-Blade...
Or how every piece that forms it is a Goatblade. Why would each "clash" do that?

Obiewantsanipod

Ya know what would have been cool? Kingdom Key and Kingdom Key D being the busted X-Blade from BBS. Xehanort defeated by his failed attempt would have been fricking sweet.

If I could triple like your post believe me I would.

Or how every piece that forms it is a Goatblade. Why would each "clash" do that?

I've been asking this question since the game came out. Why did it have to be 13 No Names?

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Yen Sid: "You've lost the X-Blade after being totes dead for a week. Go travel the Disney worlds. You'll definitely gain it back by doing this."

Maybe it has something to do with the MoM? No Name is his keyblade and he wanted the war to happen. The more I think about it, the more that this whole keyblade war thing feels like a farce. I mean, this keyblade war started off with the 7 lights being killed by heartless IE no 7 lights vs. 13 darknesses even happening which contradicts Xehanort's whole plan.

I smell a Nomura plot twist coming up...

Kokoko253

Awards
A random thought I had, vaguely relevant to the thread: Nomura went out of his way in interviews before to stress the idea that Sora is a normal boy, and he never had the keyblade inheritance ceremony performed on him. Does Xehanort giving the X-blade to Sora counts as the ceremony? This way, he would be Xehanort's successor, which, if comes into play later, would retroactively make the KH3 ending amazing.

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
A random thought I had, vaguely relevant to the thread: Nomura went out of his way in interviews before to stress the idea that Sora is a normal boy, and he never had the keyblade inheritance ceremony performed on him. Does Xehanort giving the X-blade to Sora counts as the ceremony? This way, he would be Xehanort's successor, which, if comes into play later, would retroactively make the KH3 ending amazing.
*Sigh* I mean... We gotta look at it this way: Did Aqua physically taking Eraqus' old Keyblade make her any more his successor than Terra or Ven? Especially when she already had a Keyblade at the time? It doesn't seem to be the same process as her getting the right of passage and aquirering her own Keyblade (which is what made Riku Terra's successor, and Kairi Aqua's). Sora himself also never really trained with Xehanort either. On that note, wouldn't Ven/Vanitas be closer to Xehanort's successor than anyone else at this point? Not that I'd ever expect the idea to get explored anyway (especially after neither Ven nor Vanitas ever exchanged a word with Xehanort in KH3 despite being partners in the past), but still.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I can't imagine performing a Rite of Succession on an existing wielder would really do anything. It's already a huge stretch to call Xehanort's passing of the X-blade to Sora as such anyways.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
While I wouldn't consider it an inheritance ceremony the idea of Sora being Xehanort's successor in a way is an interesting concept.

I doubt it will go anywhere in the next saga but I kind of like the thought.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That would be amazing. What if this whole keyblade war was a plan by MoM to have Xehanort pass the X-Blade to Sora?

(BECAUSE MOM IS SORA FROM THE FUTURE AND NEEDS TO FULFILL THE PAST)

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
If I could triple like your post believe me I would.

I've been asking this question since the game came out. Why did it have to be 13 No Names?
I forgot it was just 13. If the X-Blade is 7 lights and 13 darknesses, i.e 20, then doesn't this mean Xehanort messed up the recipe again?

Maybe it has something to do with the MoM? No Name is his keyblade and he wanted the war to happen.
Maybeeeeeeeeeeeee. Or maybe this'll never be addressed whatsoever...

Like, the X-Blade still hasn't been mentioned in UX? For such an important item from then it's weird how it's never been brought up.

The more I think about it, the more that this whole keyblade war thing feels like a farce. I mean, this keyblade war started off with the 7 lights being killed by heartless IE no 7 lights vs. 13 darknesses even happening which contradicts Xehanort's whole plan.

I smell a Nomura plot twist coming up...
Xemnas: "But first... Your light shines far too brightly."

The dialogue before the Heartless suggests they were too strong for the clash to work properly, so needed to be weakened?

But I agree that this doesn't feel right. It wasn't even a real Keyblade War in the first place since half the fighters weren't using Keyblades.

That would be amazing. What if this whole keyblade war was a plan by MoM to have Xehanort pass the X-Blade to Sora?
I could go with that.

(BECAUSE MOM IS SORA FROM THE FUTURE AND NEEDS TO FULFILL THE PAST)
NO! I hate the "Sora is MoM" theory more than "Demyx is MoM." lol

Kokoko253

Awards
Did Aqua physically taking Eraqus' old Keyblade make her any more his successor than Terra or Ven?
Well, taking someone else's keyblade doesn't work. The core of the ceremony is that the master has to hold the keyblade while the successor touches it, as shown with Aqua and Kairi. The same applies here as well.
Ven as Xehanort's successor WOULD be logical, but we know thanks to UX that he was flinging keyblades around way before Xehanort was born. As for Vanitas, was he able to use a keyblade thanks to being part Ventus, or Xehanort had to perform the ceremony on him?
But yeah, the fact that Sora is already a wielder with his own keyblade kinda invalidates this idea. Oh well, would have been nice. Sora holding the Xehanort chess piece in the opening would go with this well.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Well, taking someone else's keyblade doesn't work. The core of the ceremony is that the master has to hold the keyblade while the successor touches it, as shown with Aqua and Kairi. The same applies here as well.
Ven as Xehanort's successor WOULD be logical, but we know thanks to UX that he was flinging keyblades around way before Xehanort was born. As for Vanitas, was he able to use a keyblade thanks to being part Ventus, or Xehanort had to perform the ceremony on him?
But yeah, the fact that Sora is already a wielder with his own keyblade kinda invalidates this idea. Oh well, would have been nice. Sora holding the Xehanort chess piece in the opening would go with this well.
I'm still a little confused on whether the keyblade Sora uses is officially his or if it's still considered Riku's? On top of that, the fact that Riku got his own keyblade a second time makes it seem like the keyblade REALLY rather Riku as its master lol.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I'm still a little confused on whether the keyblade Sora uses is officially his or if it's still considered Riku's? On top of that, the fact that Riku got his own keyblade a second time makes it seem like the keyblade REALLY rather Riku as its master lol.
I'd say it officially became Sora's when it zwooshed back to him in KH1.

I still wish there was an explanation for how Riku got a new Keyblade during KH2. :mad:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'd say it officially became Sora's when it zwooshed back to him in KH1.

I still wish there was an explanation for how Riku got a new Keyblade during KH2. :mad:
I haven't played 3D in a long time, but I remember them discussing how Sora's keyblade was Riku's and that they were doing the Mark of Mastery to decide? I can't remember if it was to decide who the keyblade belonged to or if it was just to see who would be a master.

Didn't Mickey give Riku Way To The Dawn? I kinda assumed that since Mickey also hooked Riku up with Braveheart (although I read some sources say that Merlin gave Riku Braveyeart?) Either Mickey seemingly has the hookup on brand new keyblades and "powering" them up.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I haven't played 3D in a long time, but I remember them discussing how Sora's keyblade was Riku's and that they were doing the Mark of Mastery to decide? I can't remember if it was to decide who the keyblade belonged to or if it was just to see who would be a master.

Didn't Mickey give Riku Way To The Dawn? I kinda assumed that since Mickey also hooked Riku up with Braveheart (although I read some sources say that Merlin gave Riku Braveyeart?) Either Mickey seemingly has the hookup on brand new keyblades and "powering" them up.
The MoM exam was a test in order for Sora and Riku to become masters. It had nothing to do with whether or not the Kingdom Key belonged to Sora.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Way to Dawn came into being by using Soul Eater as an intermediary.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
How did Soul Eater go from being a sword into a keyblade?

Beats me, Nomura's only commented on this once and he gave no more information than that. I think Kanemaki may have gone into a bit more detail in the novels, but I don't own this particular volume so I can't check.

Last edited:

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Beats me, Nomura's only commented on this once and he gave no more information than that. I think Kanemaki may have gone into a bit more detail in the novels, but I don't own this particular volume so I can't check.
This now makes me wonder how Organization XIII Riku Replica got a Soul Eater...

Back