• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

State of Sleep: Terra and Ven

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Key of Valor

The Professor
NOTE: This theory outlines possibilities, nothing more.
Anything I say, I state as just a possibility.

State of Sleep: Terra and Ven

Heartless and Nobody
Two very different beings, opposite in many aspects,
But one thing they have in common is that both beings can’t feel…
Or at least, they’re not supposed to.

Birth By Sleep, a phrase so significant, that it marks the beginning of Kingdom Hearts Story, but what does it mean?

The key to deciphering any mystery is to look for connections.

Where to begin I wonder…

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, Reverse/Rebirth

This seems a place as good as any to begin,
Especially since it is in this game that Ansem
The Wise references something he calls ‘Sleep’.

Links below
YouTube - Complete Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories Part 1 (Riku)
YouTube - Complete Kingdom Hearts Chain Of Memories Part 5 (Riku)

Text below
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

It’s a very curious thing. According to the claims made by DiZ, Maleficent, and Zexion, this ‘Sleep’ appears to be a state of the heart. The State of Sleep seems to involve a few specific things.

1. Emptying of the Heart
2. Losing much of Light and Darkness
3. Losing Memories in the Heart
4. Only being able to retain Memories associated with Darkness

The reason why Riku still kept his memories is hard to determine. But remember, he denied slumber, so maybe he didn’t suffer the full toll of the State of Sleep. However, Riku coming so close to the State of Sleep did have its impact on his heart. Riku’s memories were likely weakened, and his dark memories became the most dominant memories in his heart, which is why while retaining his memories, he still only met dark beings in Castle Oblivion.

A heart in the State of Sleep is supposed to be empty and lacking in most all its memories except for those related to darkness. Riku was lucky enough to retain those memories. But what might have happened to Riku’s heart if it had truly lost all those memories?

Marluxia, Lord of Castle Oblivion, claims that he knows the result.

Links below
YouTube - Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories-Encounter with Marluxia

Text below
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Interesting, one whose heart loses their memories become unable to feel or care, much like a Heartless or Nobody.

And now we move on to Apprentice Xehanort, most unfeeling of any being. He performed countless experiments that cost the hearts of many. He banished Ansem, the man who nursed him to health from death’s door, into a horrible realm of nothingness. He kidnapped small child and sent her away from her home. And worst of all, he created the Heartless, demonic monsters that brought chaos to not just his world but countless others.

Certainly these are evil acts, but do these actions means that Apprentice Xehanort’s heart was incapable of feeling? Not by themselves, but Xemnas offers some insight on the state of Xehanort’s heart.

Link below
YouTube - The World That Never Was - Part 7

Text below
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Nobodies are supposed to remember the emotions, both good and bad, of the original self. Yet, when Sora inquires if Xemnas remembered any positive emotions, Xemnas claims that he unfortunately can’t recall such emotions. All Xemnas seems to remember are dark emotions from dark memories. Perhaps Apprentice Xehanort was indeed incapable of feeling or caring. Maybe Xehanort’s heart was close to the State of Sleep. It’s not that hard to believe. A heart that has lost most all its memories, according Marluxia, becomes unable to feel or care. A heart being emptied of most its memories is also a characteristic of the State of Sleep. It’s clear that Xehanort is related to Birth By Sleep, so he potentially might be associated with the State of Sleep as well.

But who is Xehanort exactly?

Apprentice Xehanort seems to resemble Terra a great deal. The only key differences between the two are eye color, hair color, and skin tone. However, I wouldn’t consider these significant differences, and they can easily be dismissed.

For the sake of this theory, Terra alone could potentially be Xehanort, and I say this to establish that this theory deals with Terra’s heart specifically.

When Xehanort appeared in Radiant Garden, he lacked most all his memories. In fact, the only thing he claimed to remember was the name ‘Xehanort’. Now, if Xeanort was just Terra, and Terra’s had come close to the State of Sleep, then one of the effects would be not only to lose most all memories, but also only retain memories associated with darkness. It’s no secret that Terra despises Master Xehanort, so if Terra only kept his dark memories, then the memory of Xehanort would at the very least be the most dominant remnant in his memory, which may be why Terra takes the name Xehanort.

Lingering Sentiment, the useless non-cannon extra in KH2:fm, even makes the point of saying (according to a translation):

Text below
Spoiler Spoiler Show

…All the remains is hatred towards Xehanort. All that remains are those dark memories in Terra’s heart?

Anyway, moving on to something more cannon and less controversial…

Terra’s dark memories might even have its other subconscious influences on Xehanort’s work. Xehanort’s design for the Heartless Seal slightly resembles the Dark Soldier’s Design, and they both the same color scheme too. Certainly, we expect the Dark Soldier to be tied to those dark memories Terra’s heart would still possess.

However, though Xehanort possesses all these claimed characteristics of the State of Sleep, his heart seems to be only close the State of Sleep and not quite there yet, much like Riku’s heart in CoM R/R, except Xehanort’s far closer to the State of Sleep than Riku was.

Riku couldn’t exist in a physical realm until he denied slumber. So I suspect that those in the State of Sleep can’t exist in active force as complete beings, not by themselves anyways.

Apprentice Xehanort was a complete being… until a certain point.

At the point where Xehanort’s heart and vessel separate, I believe Xehanort’s emptied heart give in to the State of Sleep.

Xehanort’s heart became a Heartless, but it was a very special heartless.

It retained consciousness but couldn’t possess a physical form of its own.
Yet, conventional Heartless are supposed lose their consciousness and obtain a physical form.

Why this unique result?

I think it was because the heart that became a Heartless was in a very unique state, the State of Sleep.

For conventional Heartless, the darkness in the heart is supposed to overwhelm the heart’s sense of self, thus Heartless are without feeling or consciousness. Then from the darkness that consumes the heart, it is supposed to materialize a physical form for the Heartless.

A heart in the State of Sleep though is primarily empty, so perhaps there wasn’t enough darkness within to overwhelm Xehanort’s sense of self. Perhaps there wasn’t enough darkness that infiltrated the heart to materialize for Xehanort’s Heartless a decent physical form. Thus, explaining the characteristics of Xehanort’s Heartless.

Xehanort’s Heartless was dependant on possessing another’s vessel as his own. However, why did he not just possess a Nobody’s vessel? Possessing a simple Dusk and changing its form should have sufficed, unless he wasn’t able to…

Theoretically though, an empty heart might not have the power of its own to stay attached to a vessel. This may have been the reason why Xehanort’s heart separated from his vessel in the first place.

An empty heart may have to rely on seizing the power of another’s heart. It is an empty heart with little power, and might try to fill itself up with the power from other hearts. To do so though, these empty hearts would need to acquire the means to infiltrate another person’s heart.

In Riku’s case, Xehanort’s Heartless persuaded Riku to open his heart completely. By opening his heart, Xehanort’s heart was able to infiltrate Riku’s heart and seize the power in Riku’s heart to manipulate Riku’s vessel.

Link below
YouTube - kingdom hearts hollow bastion visit 1 part 1

I would like to draw attention to the blue glow of Xehanort’s Heartless in that scene. Later in Hollow Bastion, Possessed Riku walks up to the Final Keyhole and forges a Keyblade from the hearts of the PoH. Note once again the similar color scheme of that weapon in comparison to the Dark Soldier. Again, a subconscious influence of the dark memories one in the State of Sleep still retains. At the end of this scene, Maleficent departs and the camera focuses on Riku, who momentarily glows a blue color.

Link below

Xehanort’s Heartless glowed blue before it possessed Riku. This blue glow Riku gives off in this scene indicates the presence of Xehanort’s Heart inside Riku’s vessel.

I believe this blue glow is a general sign of any being associated with the State of Sleep. When Riku’s heart was eventually expelled from his vessel, it ended up in the Realm of Darkness. There, Riku struggles to retain his sense of self, and momentarily gives of this blue glow. Riku’s heart had already turn on the light, and now Xehanort’s empty heart was feeding of the remaining power of Riku’s heart, which mostly consisted of darkness. Now Riku’s heart was almost empty and almost in the State of Sleep, which is why he gave off a blue glow. Riku may have very well fallen into the State of Sleep, if not for some help. However, in Riku’s most critical moment, Mickey’s voice reached out to him and helped Riku find strength in his friends and memories of light.

Link below
YouTube - Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix - Riku in Darkness (Translated)

Back to Possessed Riku though, as a small note, his fighting style has some similar elements to that of the Dark Soldier mixed together Riku’s fighting style. It’s a dual influence from Xehanort’s dark memories and Riku’ darkness which Xehanort was now freely using as his own.

Possessed Riku is defeated by Sora and disappears. Sora picks up the Heart Unlocker and stabs himself, thus opening his heart. Kairi’s heart flies out and returns to her vessel. Sora’s heart becomes a Heartless. Sora’s vessel disappears and becomes a Nobody. (There might be more occurring in this scene and that will be re-addressed later in the theory)

After this, the Final Keyhole is completed and Ansem SoD returns still attached to Riku’s vessel, except Xehanort’s Heart has altered its appearance to one more of his liking. Again, the clothing Ansem SoD materialized are very similar in design and color scheme to that of Master Xehanort’s clothing, which may be another subconscious influence from Xehanort’s dark memories.

Anyways, Riku holds Ansem SoD back. Kairi, Donald, and Goofy escape. They come across Sora’s Heartless. Kairi’s light restores Sora to a physical form. They all get away. Sora and the gang go to the End of the World. Sora confronts Ansem SoD, who summons a guardian which I believe might a materialization of Riku’s darkness that Ansem SoD seized as his own.

Ansem SoD calls on the power of Kingdom Hearts. The light shines on him and he disappears. Riku’s vessel returns to Riku’s heart, and Riku regains control. However, Xehanort’s heart was only weakened, not expelled from the vessel. Throughout CoM R/R, Xehanort’s Heartless lingers in Riku trying to seize Riku’s vessel through Riku’s own darkness once again. Riku however is the victor in Castle Oblivion and manages to suppress Xehanort’s Heartless for a while.

However, when Riku his forced to embrace darkness to capture Roxas, Xehanort’s Heartless is able to influence Riku’s vessel to change shape into his image once more. The reason why Xehanort’s Guardian is able to assist Riku in capturing Roxas is because, as I theorized, the guardian was originally Riku’s materialized darkness in the first place. Now Riku is embracing his own darkness, and is able to summon that power for himself.

However, Riku avoids using the Guardian again. From then on, and during most all of KH2, Riku is stuck in Xehanort’s form. However, the light from Ansem’s machine helps relieve Riku from that darkness in his heart. Because of this, Xehanort’s heart loses its hold on Riku, and Riku’s vessel reverts to normal. However, if the light from Kingdom Hearts wasn’t enough to expel Xehanort’s heart from Riku’s vessel, then I doubt the light from Ansem’s machine would have better luck.

I believe Xehanort’s heart still resides in Riku somewhere. It’s lost its hold on Riku’s heart, and now Xehanort’s heart is empty itself, being in the State of Sleep. I suspect that Xehanort’s heart still sleeps deep inside Riku.

(again though, I believe Xehanort’s heart is Terra’s heart. So I believe Terra’s heart in the State of Sleep still lies with Riku by the end of KH2.

The key to deciphering any mystery is to look for connections.

Might there be another whose heart also lies in the State of Sleep?

A characteristic of someone associated in the State of Sleep is the lost of memories.

Now we move on to Ven, who might potentially be losing his memories in Birth By Sleep.

Link below
YouTube - Kingdom Hearts-Birth By Sleep Trailer *NEW*

At first, Ven doesn’t seem to recognize Master Xehanort. This might be a sign that Ven is losing his memories, which might explain how Master Xehanort believes that Ven is losing something. The fact though that in a sudden moment Ven comes to the sudden realization that he recognizes Master Xehanort could be the indication of a dark memory being triggered.

And then there is Ven’s request at the end of the trailer, to be erased. Sounds like Ven doesn’t care what happens to himself, perhaps because he is unable to care. Perhaps Ven’s heart in that scene is being troubled by its emptiness. I think it’s very possible that Ven’s heart may be drifting into the State of Sleep during Birth By Sleep.

It’s a very vague idea, but Ven might be just as unfortunate as Terra. Some place along the timeline, Ven’s heart makes the full transition in the State of Sleep, possibly also taking on a phantom form, and for whatever reason, Ven’s heart seeks out Sora. It took Xehanort’s Heartless nine years to find Destiny Islands. It might very well take Ven almost equal time to find it himself. Ven’s heart arrives there some time earlier than Xehanort’s Heartless, and may sleep away in Sora’s vessel. Ven’s sleeping heart may only be able to affect Sora’s heart when Sora sleeps as well, thus Ven could be the potential influence of Sora’s dreams. During Sora’s dreams, it’s called Dive into the Heart, and there, Sora sees the images of the PoH. Not including Belle, all the images of the PoH that appear are that of the PoH from the worlds in Birth By Sleep. Only ones missing are Kairi, Alice, and Jasmine. So far there is no indication that Jasmine and Alice will make an appearance in Birth By Sleep. Kairi might, seeing how Radiant Garden appears in the game, but whether Ven will come in contact with her is not yet established.

Anyway, in Sora’s Dive into the Heart, he may see images from Ven’s heart. Ven, if he is the voice, seems to be preparing Sora for opening the Door to Light. Note this, the Door to Light has never been claimed to be connected to the Keyblade. It seems odd but it’s true. The voice never mentioned the Keyblade to Sora in the dreams. Why would it? How could it? Sora wasn’t intended to receive the Keyblade, at least not at that point. The voice said Sora held the mightiest weapon of all, but at the End of the World, it is revealed that the voice was referring to Sora’s heart. Plus, in KH2, if that really was the Door to Light, it involved no Keyblade. Sora’s visit at Yensid’s Tower foreshadowed how Sora’s heart was the key to the Door to Light, not the Keyblade…

Back to the topic at hand though, Ven seemed to be preparing Sora to open the Door to Light. Sora is lucky enough to obtain a Keyblade and then he commences his normal adventuring until he reaches Hollow Bastion.

There, Riku reclaims the Keyblade. Then in the Entrance Hall, Sora proclaims how his friends are his power, and the Keyblade chooses Sora over Riku. (Sora’s claim of ‘my friends are my power’ acts as an interesting parallel to ‘this power I use for my friends’. If the Keyblade really was directed to act on Terra’s constant spirit, it would make sense for the Keyblade to go to Sora at this point. Terra’s probably real emotional about that whole friend stuff)

Anyway, Riku runs off, opens his heart, gets possessed. Then Possessed Riku and Sora face off. Sora wins the fight and Possessed Riku disappears. Then Sora grabs the Heart Unlocker and stabs himself, thus opening his heart…

When Riku opened his heart, Xehanort’s Heartless seized the power in Riku’s heart for his own.

These hearts in the State of Sleep are empty, so they try to fill the emptiness with power from other hearts whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Again, when Riku opened his heart, Xehanort’s Heartless seized the power in Riku’s heart for his own.

Sora opened his heart with the Heart Unlocker, so perhaps as he did so, Ven’s heart seized the power in Sora’s heart, just before Sora’s heart became a Heartless.

The power in Sora’s heart though is very different in contrast to the power in Riku’s heart. While Xehanort’s Heartless seized Riku’s darkness, Ven’s heart could seize Sora’s light.

If Kairi’s light could provide a physical form for Sora, then perhaps Sora’s light could do the same for Ven.

A physical form is materialized from Sora’s light, and within this being sleeps Ven’s heart. However, this being primarily acts on its essence it received from Sora. This being may be based of Ven’s appearance, and even possess Ven’s heart, but Ven’s heart only sleeps within, while it acts mostly on Sora’s essence. Thus, this being is not Ven. This being is different. This being is Roxas.

Roxas was claimed to hold part of Sora’s power with him, but this part that Roxas possessed was never specified. Roxas may not even have Sora’s vessel, the piece Roxas took from Sora could have been a portion of Sora’s light, which might be why Sora started acting like a jerk in Castle Oblivion. If Kairi’s light really did provide Sora with a new physical form, Sora might not even needed his original vessel.

Remember, Roxas was essential for Sora to awake from his slumber. From what we’ve seen from Days, memories are flowing out of Sora’s heart, so the issue didn’t deal with the vessel, the issue appears to have dealt with Sora’s heart in the pod. Xemnas claimed that Sora was incomplete, and perhaps the piece of Sora that was incomplete was Sora’s heart, lacking the power Ven’s heart took away.

Now just to lightly touch upon this, why do I not claim Roxas to be composed out of Sora’s body and soul? Cause I believe Namine is composed of it.

Text below
Secret Ansem Report said:
I have arrived at a hypothesis. I believe that Naminé was born as a special type of Nobody when Sora attacked himself with the Keyblade, causing his and Kairi's hearts to leave their bodies simultaneously. Naminé emerged as Kairi's Nobody...but the body and soul necessary to exist as a Nobody belonged to Sora.

Kairi’s heart was attached to Sora’s vessel too, so the power of her heart may have influenced Sora’s vessel to take a different shape when becoming a Nobody, yet this Nobody could have its influences from Sora’s heart as well, which may be why Namine is Kairi’s Nobody with power over Sora’s memories. Plus, Namine is meant to translate into ‘wave’ which is nothing short than the combination between the sea (Kairi) and the sky (Sora). And forget not that Sora’s vessel was once combined with both hearts. Now, if Namine is composed of Sora’s vessel, then why merge with Kairi? Sora lost his vessel at Hollow Bastion, but Kairi’s light gave him a new one. It’s only natural that Kairi should get paid back. Kairi invested light to create a new vessel. To balance the equation, a vessel should be converted into light and returned to Kairi.

Link below

See how Namine merges into Kairi in the form of light. That’s my point right there.

Back to Roxas though…

Kairi’s power had to return to her eventually, via Namine. Likewise, Sora’s power that granted Roxas a physical form would need to eventually return to Sora as well. In the meanwhile though, Roxas existed as a being possessing part of Sora’s light within him, as well as Ven’s sleeping heart, which took said light from Sora to ‘fill its emptiness’.

Notice though, Roxas’ clothing is of similar color scheme to that of Master Xehanort, once again supporting the claim that Ven’s heart is in the State of Sleep and Roxas is being subconsciously influenced by dark memories still present in Ven’s heart.

If Roxas has a heart, why is he claimed to be a Nobody. A Nobody is essentially a non-identity, half of someone else, a being that struggles with the ability to feel… all things Roxas having Ven’s Sleeping heart still holds to. Roxas’ lack of memory and inability to adequately feel emotions both correspond with characteristics of a Sleeping heart.

And then, there is Roxas’ confidence that he has a heart… I believe it’s one of the last things he says

Link below
YouTube - kingdom hearts 2 sora visits twilight town visit 1

Though Ven’s heart may sleep in Roxas, some of the feelings in Ven’s heart may occasionally find ways to affect Roxas’ feelings. Sometimes people react to their surroundings, even in their sleep. Likewise, during some of Roxas’ more significant experiences, Ven’s heart may react and enable Roxas to actually feel some emotions.

And then there is Roxas’ conversation with Axel about whether Roxas possesses a heart or not.

Link below
YouTube - *VOICES* KH2 Final Mix: Remembrance (English Subs)

The heart is something one can’t feel? Hearts are supposed to feel… Is Roxas describing his heart? If so, it only further supports him possessing Ven’s heart in the State of Sleep.

Plus, as Sora has a Dive into the Heart, Roxas has something called the Station of Awakening. In contrast to Sora’s Dive into the heart, Sora saw images of the PoH, many of which Ven might have come in contact with. Likewise, Roxas saw images related to Sora and his friends.

Plus, Roxas’ primary platform at his Station of Awakening is blue, a color I believe characterizes the State of Sleep. And why not believe this? Birth By Sleep’s game title is colored blue. The subtitle for Chain of Memories Reverse/Rebirth is colored blue, and that game’s very beginning encompassed the concept of Sleep. And then there is Xehanort’s Heart, Riku, and their blue glow. Even the heart shaped moon in the trailer for Birth By Sleep is glowing blue.

And for Roxas… when he is pulled out of the Station of Awakening, he too is glowing a blue color, much like the way Riku was when Xehanort’s Heart was inside him.

Links below
YouTube - kingdom hearts 2 twilight town day 3

And then there is the way in which Roxas merged with Sora. Not only is Roxas glowing blue, but so is Sora.

If Riku glowing blue indicated that Xehanort’s sleeping heart lied within, then perhaps Sora glowing blue in such a similar fashion could indicate Ven’s sleeping heart within.

Links below

There are also several other ways Ansem SoD and Roxas can be compared.

First and most obvious, they are BBS look alikes. Ansem SoD looks like Terra and Roxas looks like Ven.

They both perform similar actions in combat, such as how they point the Keyblade at Sora when he’s on the ground… (maybe not the best similarity)

Links below
YouTube - Kingdom Hearts - Hollow Bastion Visit 1 Part 2
YouTube - The World That Never Was - Part 1

They both have the ability to levitate. (yes, KH defies gravity a lot but these two cases make a point of this ability appearing in important scenes)

Links Below
YouTube - Kingdom Hearts - End of the World - Part 1/2
YouTube - The World That Never Was - Part 1

They both are the ‘special’ types of the beings they are categorized as.

And now if we were to contrast them, Ansem SoD commands darkness, while Roxas’ power is over light. And this is again because Ansem SoD thrived off Riku’s darkness while Roxas thrived off Sora’s light.

The only real difference between the two is how Ansem SoD can summon a Guardian while Roxas appears to not possess such an ability. Ansem SoD though seemed more self aware of his abilities, so even if Roxas could replicate that ability, I highly doubt he would know how to, or perhaps he could subconsciously (without being aware of it) summon a being like the Guardian. Perhaps Shadow Roxas in Virtual Twilight Town was just that… or maybe not. Ansem’s Guardian though is the materialized representation of Riku’s darkness, so if Roxas was to display this ability, I suspect his ‘Guardian’ would be more like a materialized representation of Sora’s light. Ansem’s Guardian was a being that accompanied him in battle, drew from Ansem’s power, and was the materialized representation of Riku’s darkness. Roxas’ Guardian should likewise be a being that accompanies Roxas in battle, draws from his same power, and is the materialized representation of Sora’s light. Unfortunately no such being matches said description well enough… besides, what would a representation of Sora’s light look like anyways?

Disregarding that issue for a moment though, let’s revisit the story. Roxas merges with Sora, returning Ven’s sleeping heart to Sora. Xehanort’s (Terra’s) heart is still sleeping inside Riku even after Ansem’s machine explodes. By the end of KH2, we have two friends, sitting along the Dark Coastline, and sleeping within both of them could very well be the hearts of Terra in Riku and Ven in Sora.

As an on going joke of mine, everything would just be so… symmetrical.

And that brings this theory to the end,
Please comment.

Last edited:

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
You're insane.
And I suggest strongly you format this in a way human beings could read it.
Shortening it would also be advised.

Also

This theory outlines possibilities, nothing more.
Anything I say, I state as just a possibility.

That still doesn't solve the problem this merits little respect if any at all :\ it's possible Riku ends up replacing the Easter Bunny in KH3. You don't go me chunking up so much text over it.

Also, you're misusing spoiler tags.
It's either "Spoiler=what you spoil for", "spoiler=KH2", for instance, or "spoilers".

Last edited:

Muse

you look atrocious
It's really too long. :/

Also, why did you make the font bigger/bold it? Now it seems even bigger than it did before.

Key of Valor

The Professor
lol, I'm having some formatting issues, I'll resolve them soon...

I'll also post a summarized version later on...

(Well I took some advice from my previous thread and decided to include appropriate 'support')

And thanks for the formatting advice.

Axie

Sleeping on the couch at the usual spot until such
One paragraph in and I'm already having issues with this--if Heartless don't have feelings, then Sora couldn't have felt anything that went on in CoM. It also means that feelings are not contained within the HEART, which they ARE, because that is the POINT of KINGDOM HEARTS. There is no way I can absorb that little speculation in that many words and still be coherent enough to respond with anything besides APOSIDJGASLDIRPASIJDGLASDKH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back