• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Star Wars: The Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Favorite Star Wars Film

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Attack of the Clones

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • A New Hope

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 46 39.7%
  • Return of the Jedi

Votes: 19 16.4%

• Total voters

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I think the better question is does that mean we will get a live action grey master ashoka???????

Not likely, especially the grey part. SW dropped the concept because story group members found it stupid. However I can only dream we at least get a mention.

Ahsoka the White sounds more awesome.
ahsoka_the_white_sw.jpg

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
:cautious:

I really don’t get Disney and Lucasfilm. Star War NEVER performs well in China so I really don’t understand why they can’t commit fully to a LGBT character.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
...Is anybody else actually excited for this? I thought the Last Jedi had faults but I didn't think it was the worst Star Wars movie. That still is Attack of the Clones for me.

It's just that my brother hates the new Star Wars movies, and everywhere I go it's hate and vitriol and "Star Wars is dead". It makes me feel like I'm not ALLOWED to like it, as if there is some universal God of Quality that must be obeyed. I'm not allowed to like KH3, I'm not allowed to like the new Star Wars... If I do I have bad taste...

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Just wait until a new trilogy with a new cast pops up. Then those will be the worst star wars movies ever and suddenly these weren't so bad anymore.

Xblade13

Awards
Well, I'm going to go see Rose of Skywalker tonight, and honestly, as long as it is Star Wars I'll be happy.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I have so much on my mind after seeing this movie. I saw the film on the midnight premiere and was going to write about it but decided against it. I saw it again yesterday and I've managed to calm down.

Non-Spoiler Review: Positives+
  • The "trio" works together in this installment
  • Ian McSenate is amazing as Palps
  • Fanservice galore
  • Action packed
Non-Spoiler Review: Negatives-
  • The "trio" is really not a trio.
  • Heavy handed fanservice.
  • Too quick-paced: There's not enough time to breathe and process what's happening.
  • The pacing/editing is questionably bad to point that I questioned if Lucasfilm and Disney even saw the final product.
  • Not enough answers: JJ's syndrome
  • Weak finale to the Skywalker saga. Its a mediocre closer to the ST trilogy.
  • Poor planning. Felt safe and predictable.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I don't think its the worst SW movie but its right next to it.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
the only weird thing to me kylo and rey kissing, other than that it was good. I wanted to see a epic battle of palp’s followers but oh well. Also wanted a teaser to connect mandalorian, but alas there was none[spoilers]

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Off the top of my head, some things I had a problems with were Rey's Palpatine lineage. These reveals are so cliche now, that I was [I]starving[/I] for a nobody to be the hero. Not the case. Again, I can't tell if this was just supposed to be a nod to the Vader / Luke reveal, but it's so passé I found no amusement in it whatsoever. Coupled with Palpatine's lack of a presence in this whole trilogy, all impact was lost on me.

Also, the queerbaiting kiss at the end was.. like, what it was.. thx, I guess? *eyeroll*

I also might be one of the few who actually like Rose (& TLJ), mostly. And it was sad to see her role here just diluted into bland, background speaker #???.

I particularly loved all the Jedi voiceovers that reached out to Rey, trying to pick out the characters from yesteryear, even if the sources were from material I haven't seen yet.. Pretty much everything else I enjoyed. I would like a rewatch, either in IMAX or 3D.

the only weird thing to me kylo and rey kissing, other than that it was good. I wanted to see a epic battle of palp’s followers but oh well. Also wanted a teaser to connect mandalorian, but alas there was none

I thought that was weird (awkward, honestly) too. But I also felt that way about Finn & Rose to a lesser extent. Like, the universe is just kiss-starved, and the build to these romances feels so inorganic. Honestly, that's pretty par for the course for all Star Wars films, sans Han and Leia. Sooo, maybe was it another one of the many unnecessary, crude homages?

For the most part I thought it was a very Star Wars-y Star Wars, so the experience was worth it for me, and I enjoyed myself. Is it my favorite? Nah.

Last edited:

Xblade13

Awards
I think the issue with this series has always been that the fanbases has a sort of religious fervor to it. The original movies have somewhat of a biblical aspect to them for a lot of people, namely nerd/geek culture got attached to them overly much. Now, that need/geek culture is more mainstream (back in the day, loving video games, sci-fi, and such meant you were a nerd. Now that I not so). Ev r since the prequels Star Wars has been a war between the fandom that wants to retain that feeling of ownership over it (the old closet geeks) and the mainstream who just want cool action flicks. For those saying the new movies are completely terrible and have massive plot holes, that's true of the prequels and originals as well.

If George Lucas had an infallable vision, then

- why did Leia say she remembered how beautiful her mother was, when Padme died shortly after she and Luke were born?
- why did Like and Leia kiss if they were "meant to be related the whole time?"
- why did the Jedi never do anything to help Anakin's mother out of slavery? I think Qui-gon even promised they would.

There are a few other things like this in the first 6 movies. It isn't an amazingly written series, and it hasn't won any Oscars for Best Picture or acting I don't believe. Empire and Return of the Jedi both got less money than A New Hope did.

The truth is Star Wars is a Pop Culture phenomenon, not a Shakespearean epic. It has always been about the action and the effects, and the story has been fanservice-y since the beginning.

I'm ok with Rise of Skywalker. If we want anyone to blame for the state the Trilogy I in, it certainly isn't J.J. Abrams. He had a specific vision for the trilogy, even had a script ready for episode 8, but he had a commitment to another movie that would've put the Last Jedi off until February or so, and Disney wouldn't have that. Hence Rian Johnson. Whether you hated or lived it, The Last Jedi didn't leave much room for continuation, and always felt like a better fit for a Trilogy ender, not a middle part. The new Sith lore actually fit in exactly with how my original thoughts were going to be for this trilogy lol. Of course, back then I thought Smoke would be revealed as Plaguis, but I figured the spirit/possession thing would be a shoe in anyway.

Also, am I the only one that gets tired of hearing the word cliche anymore? Yes, nothing I original anymore. I can literally connect any movie to any other movie with a scene, phrase, or theme. It's so hard to even think of an idea I wouldn't be called out on for being a "ripoff" of something else.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I think the issue with this series has always been that the fanbases has a sort of religious fervor to it. The original movies have somewhat of a biblical aspect to them for a lot of people, namely nerd/geek culture got attached to them overly much. Now, that need/geek culture is more mainstream (back in the day, loving video games, sci-fi, and such meant you were a nerd. Now that I not so). Ev r since the prequels Star Wars has been a war between the fandom that wants to retain that feeling of ownership over it (the old closet geeks) and the mainstream who just want cool action flicks. For those saying the new movies are completely terrible and have massive plot holes, that's true of the prequels and originals as well.

If George Lucas had an infallable vision, then

- why did Leia say she remembered how beautiful her mother was, when Padme died shortly after she and Luke were born?
- why did Like and Leia kiss if they were "meant to be related the whole time?"
- why did the Jedi never do anything to help Anakin's mother out of slavery? I think Qui-gon even promised they would.

There are a few other things like this in the first 6 movies. It isn't an amazingly written series, and it hasn't won any Oscars for Best Picture or acting I don't believe. Empire and Return of the Jedi both got less money than A New Hope did.

The truth is Star Wars is a Pop Culture phenomenon, not a Shakespearean epic. It has always been about the action and the effects, and the story has been fanservice-y since the beginning.

I'm ok with Rise of Skywalker. If we want anyone to blame for the state the Trilogy I in, it certainly isn't J.J. Abrams. He had a specific vision for the trilogy, even had a script ready for episode 8, but he had a commitment to another movie that would've put the Last Jedi off until February or so, and Disney wouldn't have that. Hence Rian Johnson. Whether you hated or lived it, [B]The Last Jedi didn't leave much room for continuation[/B], and always felt like a better fit for a Trilogy ender, not a middle part. The new Sith lore actually fit in exactly with how my original thoughts were going to be for this trilogy lol. Of course, back then I thought Smoke would be revealed as Plaguis, but I figured the spirit/possession thing would be a shoe in anyway.

Also, am I the only one that gets tired of hearing the word cliche anymore? Yes, nothing I original anymore. I can literally connect any movie to any other movie with a scene, phrase, or theme. It's so hard to even think of an idea I wouldn't be called out on for being a "ripoff" of something else.

I disagree with that. The TLJ left PLENTY for a continuation, but more importantly tried to free the new saga from the trappings of the old one. The Legend of Luke Skywalker is reclaimed to spark hope across the galaxy. Kylo is freed from Snoke to lead his First Order. Rey has the books and the teachings of Luke to continue on and Finn realizes that his apathy and selfish cause, hurts him and others more. Poe becomes more grounded and determined to preserve the Resistance.
Rey, Poe and Finn have their beliefs and personalities challenged, and in the end they become more aware and determined to end the war.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I did not enjoy this movie. There was a lot of good stuff in there, but there was neither enough time or talent to tell that story. I think JJ and Terrio are hacks, especially Terrio.

Their approach to this film felt like somebody told them to throw as much fan service in as possible and make it work. JJ completely backtracked on what was built up in TLJ. There was so much potential for us to see Kylo as the Supreme Leader and find out what his reign would be like, to see Finn and Poe mature as leaders, for Rose to not get shafted, for really anything else besides what we got.

Pros:
+ Zorii Bliss and Jannah were great new characters. It is a shame they were introduced at the end of the saga with no room for their stories to be explored. (Jannah is totally getting a Disney+ series with Lando, though)
+ A lot of fun fan service
+ C3PO was hilarious
+ "Be with me" and Rey hearing the voices of all of the Jedi that came before her was really a beautiful moment
+ Great visuals, great choreography, great action
+ Adam Driver looked his best in this film
+ Leia's training being shown
+ Rey and Kylo/Ben's force bond was really cool and the most fulfilling aspect of this entire film. Their chemistry was so good. I enjoyed every scene they had together EXCEPT...

Cons:
- the kiss
- Poe being the sudden Negative Nancy was so weird
- Finn kinda just existing to yell Rey's name
- Palpatine
- Rey Palpatine and Rey Skywalker. miss me with that bs
- They don't let the audience breathe between scenes. I felt like I was on rails the whole time
- Ben's redemption was done well but it was really too late imo. It would have been different had he not been trying to kill or turn Rey for 90% of TROS...or really hadn't been an accessory to the death of millions in the galaxy...hadn't personally murdered Rey's first mentor...hadn't tried killing her best friend...really just everything. So essentially Ben should not have gotten redemption.
- I would have loved the lesbian kiss had it not been clearly added in because Disney wanted brownie points while still being able to cut it out in other regions
- No permanence in any losses or sacrifices. Chewie is dead...just kidding he's alive. C3PO will forget everything! Just kidding R2 fixes him. Oh damn Rey is dead. jk Ben brings her back then becomes one with the Force hahahahah

I have many, many more complaints but...man. I did not have fun. I don't HATE it, but I definitely did not think it was a worthy closer to the saga.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Looking back at this whole experience, its jarring to see how badly received the Sequel Trilogy was in comparison with everything else. The Mandalorian and Fallen Order were given high praises, and no doubt S7 of Clone Wars will ignite the community once more.
It shows a divide between the ST and everything else, which ultimately reflects the lack of unified vision for the ST movies. I follow people of the Story Group online and its telling when there's radio silence from them regarding the content of the movies. I understand that their role is to weave everything together, but shouldn't they have some power to modify or outright say NO to certain things both JJ and Rian did? The aftermath of the ST movies just enforce the idea the story group has little to no power over the movies. I understand that the directors shouldn't be held back creatively but TROS(especially JJ and Terrio) showed a insulting lack of understanding of the whole Skywalker saga. The Terrio interviews post TROS just emphasize how little he truly knew of the saga in the thematic sense.

I am both sad and happy that the ST is done. Sadden because of the wasted potential, but glad they can't continue the mess they made.

OneDandelion

Awards
ROS was honestly the worst ending to a trilogy I've ever seen. It could possibly be the worst movie I have ever seen.

Everything about the entire trilogy was completely filled with events that didn't matter, weren't interesting, didn't make sense, broke established lore, and perhaps the worst sin of all was that they were boring.

If Rey and Kylo's actors weren't rich I might feel bad for them because this is a stain on their careers. I mean I didn't think Daisy Ridley could act to begin with and Adam Driver... Well its hard to say because Kylo Ren was an incredibly bad role, but I didn't think he had the face for the character to begin with.

But yeah the characters are uninteresting, the plot for 3 movies straight is a series of macguffins that could be dropped completely and they'd end up in the same place, Rey is a mary sue, Kylo ren simultaneously plays the worst villain and has the worst redemption story in the history of cinema...

I will never watch another Disney Star Wars movie again. I have absolutely zero faith that they are capable of producing a good movie because they're more interested in appealing to the social justice crowd than telling a good story. I did watch The Mandalorian and thought that was overrated as well to be honest so I don't feel like I'll be missing anything in the future now.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
Man whenever conversations about this recent trilogy comes up, I try to avoid them. I've seen so many different point of views that it honestly makes it hard for me to think about how I feel over it. But I will say that this movie, though I was a little hyped while seeing it here and there, it left me disappointed. It just felt like the movie was mainly focused on trying to ignore what happened in TLJ. And there's many plots holes and questions unanswered, it just makes me frustrated.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I could keep going with this, but with this trilogy I'm pretty careful when talking about it.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Clone Wars and S2 of the Mandolorian will be the highest and best points of the franchise(Disney) to date. From the looks of it, Maul knew of the plan, or has he puts it: THE Plan.

Also that shot of Maul at the end used a motion capture performance from Ray Park, which explains the smooth movements.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
All-Star-Wars-Movies-and-Shows-main-980x500.jpg

What a time to be a Star Wars fan.
  • Rangers of the New Republic and the Ahsoka limited series will take place around the same time as the Mandalorian. They revealed those 3 will build towards something, like a crossover.
  • The Cassian Andor show has been offically revealed as Andor.
  • The Obi-Wan Kenobi series will have Hayden reprise his role as Darth Vader.
  • Bad Batch showed us Fennec Shand and the galaxy changing as the Republic morphs into the Empire.
  • Visions will be created by anime studious! We finally have a SW product created by the country that heavily influenced it.
  • Lando is well, Lando.
  • Droid Stories is self explanatory.
  • Rogue Squadron will be directed by Patty Jenkins, as she intends to make it the best fighter movie ever.
  • The Acolyte will be a mystery thriller focusing on the dark side during the last days of the High Republic. It's been described as female centric so perhaps it might deal with the Nightsisters.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I’m mostly excited for Ashoka and Kenobi. I really hoped they are similar to Mando in terms of quality and production. Also, is it weird I want a series just on pod racing? I think it would be pretty cool.

Back