• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Star Trek - New series coming to CBS in 2017

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
3f448330857e4ca7ba40ab5465a3c2cb62cdb98c.png

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

[...]

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.

Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

So, any Trek fans out there like me jumping up and down like a loon? (not literally, of course)

Last edited:

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
It's been, like, 10 years since we've had Star Trek on TV right? I'm looking forward to getting some weekly Star Trek, even if we have to wait over a year for it.

I'm curious if it'll be a continuation of the previous TV series, or if it'll be a whole reboot for TV Trek.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It's been, like, 10 years since we've had Star Trek on TV right? I'm looking forward to getting some weekly Star Trek, even if we have to wait over a year for it.

I'm curious if it'll be a continuation of the previous TV series, or if it'll be a whole reboot for TV Trek.
hah. more like weekly for three episodes before they take a fall break, thanksgiving break, christmas break, spring break, ankle break, etc.

i'm curiosly optimistic. my parents were trekkies for the original and Next Generation and i loved ST:ID so i'll at the very least check it out.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

TwsNcE4.gif

Yeah, just a bit over it.

I personally hope that it is a continuation of the TV series world since we know it won't be based on the movie universe.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Well, we've got over a year before this new Trek arrives, so we have plenty of time to discuss important topics concerning the series.

Like, how long do you think they should wait before having John de Lancie guest star?

I wouldn't be opposed to them going the TNG route and having Q in the first episode. It could be a strong move on their part.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
the important question is whether or not its necessary to watch older shows/movies. i'm not sure i want to delve into 50 years of TV history right off the bat.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
the important question is whether or not its necessary to watch older shows/movies. i'm not sure i want to delve into 50 years of TV history right off the bat.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Each series has done a good job of being self-contained and not needing background knowledge to get what's going on. I think the only time they ever got really lore-heavy was during the occasional anniversary episode. You should be fine going in blind.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Like, how long do you think they should wait before having John de Lancie guest star?

I wouldn't be opposed to them going the TNG route and having Q in the first episode. It could be a strong move on their part.

PIvbZ81.gif

You don't have to. It is very easy to jump into Star Trek as a series. While it is nice to know the lore, you'll learn the lore in the new series as well.

On a more personal note, the series is extremely enjoyable so even if you don't start watching the episodes now, I highly recommend the entire TV franchise as something interesting to watch. They all have their own merits that make them enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back