• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Stained Glass [Roxas FanFic]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Shards

I would kill for you <3
Ugh! Finally. This is long over-due. Not my favourite chapter, but it is alright :)

Enjoy.

Copyrights©: all characters, weaponry, places, belong to SE and Disney. This story, however, is mine.

Chapter 3: A Far-Off Memory

“Why are you doing this?”

“For science,” Vexen said to me. I could hear a trace of excitement in his shrill voice. He was a man of science, and everything and anything that had to do with discovering a new property of the Heart, or existence, greatly aroused him.

I was lying on a cold, hard table in a relatively small, white room. Behind the table I lay upon was a large, high-tech machine. It had many buttons and other devices on it and a screen to read any data that was processed through it. Of course, it was beyond my comprehension, as I had never seen such a gadget in my existence, and when I had first beheld it my blood ran cold with dread. There were other machines in the room too, as well as all sorts of displays and unfinished experiments in jars on the tables. Dark, insect-like creatures were kept in glass jars filled with a murky liquid, and diagrams of the Heart were in a pile upon a metal table. There were drawings and hypothesis plastered on the white walls. Just glancing over them gave me chills. I knew now why I was here: Vexen was planning on using me as some sort of scientific experiment. To him, I was an object that should be kept in a test-tube. The realization of this both angered me and made me feel worthless, like one of those creatures kept in the jars.

“Just try to relax,” the elder man instructed coolly. Getting to work, he began to place chords on my forehead. They were cold and sticky so that the devices would not fall off me. Chords were also clamped down on my middle fingers so that any change in my body could be recorded as I reacted to whatever procedure I would endure. I inhaled deeply and let out a long, low breath as I tried to relax, all the while staring at the white ceiling above me. I didn’t know what to expect out of this little ‘expedition for science’ and once again it was the fear of the unknown that I had to try and push away from me. Trying to do as Vexen said I continued to breath in deeply.

“Now,” he said, standing beside his machine, “I am going to project some images into your mind. I will record your reactions. It is relatively harmless.” I didn’t like the way he said that. “The process will begin now. Close your eyes.”

Swallowing hard, I did as the enigma instructed me to do. There was the endless darkness that swam before me once my eyes were closed and I saw no images. Waiting for the experiment to begin, I frowned. What was the point of this experiment? What sort of images would I see and how were they relevant to my purpose within the organization? There was something each member of the Thirteenth Order knew about me, or who I once was, that I had no recollection of and they kept that knowledge away from me. I hated that. I had a right to know about who I was before this existence, but they would not grant me that due to higher orders, as Xigbar implied earlier.

Pop.

Suddenly I heard a crackling noise, as though Vexen’s machine was shorting out. However, I soon realized that the noise wasn’t coming from the machine behind me. It was coming from inside my head! The endless abyss was interrupted as waves of static electricity began to break and form in my mind’s eye. Crackle. Crackle. Pop. Between each break I caught quick glimpses of hazy pictures and I tensed each time they disappeared, replaced by the waves of static. Pop. Crackle. Eventually, as the routine of fuzzy-images and the electricity progressed, the pictures became steadily clearer and lasted longer. The first image was that of a small group of islands, silhouetted against a golden sunset. The waters around the islands were purple, and reflected the setting sun. Still, the image looked so far away and I felt myself squinting as I tried to get a clearer view of it. That place… it looked familiar… But the image began to grow fuzzy again and fade into static.

Crackle.

One island stood out from the rest. It wasn’t the largest one, but something about it caught my attention. The beaches of this landform were pure white sand, stretching around the outside of the island and into the crystal blue waters that surrounded it. A dock lay on the beach to hold the boats of the owners who visited here. The interior of the island was lush, filled with a tropical forest, which had many tall palm trees that stretched high into the air. Within the brush of tropical trees and plants I could make out a few wooden clubhouses and I recognized them as the ones in which children used for play. This picture that I saw was so nostalgic, but I couldn’t place why. Even though it wasn’t real I could smell the salt of the water and feel the cool, island breeze on my face as though I was right there standing on the beaches. Had I visited there in my previous existence? Before I could contemplate this any more the image began to fizz out of sight.

Crackle. Pop.

The scene switched to that of a stormy night. I felt myself gripping the table that I lay upon as the stormy winds blew violently across my face. The dark clouds churned overhead and lightning struck two times, the electricity rippling in the sky. From pools of liquid darkness on the white sand there materialized the small, insect-like creatures, which I’d seen in the jars. Their crooked antennas twitched nervously as they crawled about the beaches as though searching for something. Another feeling of familiarity gripped me. I felt as though I had lived through this very scene before, but was it merely a dream? Fizz. Once again the image changed so that I was on another part of the island. Standing right before me was a person with shoulder-length, silver hair. His back was facing me as he stared out over the dark waters. A glowing aura of Darkness could be seen around him, which made me feel very uneasy about him, but something deep within me wanted to reach out and save him from that Darkness which threatened to consume him. Pop! But just then that image disappeared, replaced by a horrifying scene that was nestled at the core of any nightmare. I gasped as a huge, black creature replaced the image of the boy. Its wild hair billowed about its face, and I could only see deviant, yellow eyes staring down at me. It came closer and closer towards me until…

Crackle. Pop!

Suddenly, a wave of images rapidly played before my mind’s eye. From what I could catch from the small clips, there was a dark city where two very strange creatures stood before me; one looked like a tall, gangly dog and the other was a duck. Pop. More Shadows slithered out from the darkness. They were everywhere! Fizz. That boy with the silver hair stood before me, raising his hands towards the sky. At first I hadn’t recognized him, for he was completely shadowed in Darkness. Crack. Fizz. Where the silver-haired boy once stood was now a fully-grown man with long, flowing white hair. He stared at me with his cold, yellow eyes. Crackle. Suddenly, the scene switched to a ray of light pouring onto the man who shielded himself from it. Pop. Crackle. All that was left was a large, angelic door with its great, white doors closed to me. Crackle. Crackle. Fizz. Pop. The entire scene began to play again, more rapidly this time. Once it was finished it started back to the beginning, continuing its cycle, slowly driving me to madness.

The images stopped so abruptly that I felt as though I had crashed within myself. The crackling noise of static electricity was replaced by a gentle hum, which tempted me with sleep. All around in my mind’s eye was an endless sea of white, nearly blinding me. I could not tell where it began or where it ended as I gazed at the surroundings. My attention was suddenly brought to a lone figure that stood with its back turned towards me. Once again, that nostalgic feeling nagged at me, forcing me to try and remember whom this person was. Though I drew a blank, I knew that this person was someone from my past. As I approached the still figure I noticed that the slim, fragile characteristics belonged to that of a young girl with short, red hair. As I got closer she began to turn slowly towards me and I stopped, holding my breath. Ping! Just as I saw the girl’s jaw line the scene switched so that all I saw was a close up of the lower portion of her fair face. The girl’s lips were that of a pale, rose red colour that was neither turned up in a smile, or down in a frown. Eventually her lips parted, but no sound came from her mouth. There was only the gentling ringing in the background. Furrowing my brows together, I concentrated on her lips as they moved, trying to form what she was saying. I could barely make out what she was silently speaking. S-O-R-

“What the hell are you doing?!”

All of a sudden the image was cut and my eyes snapped open to the place I last saw before the experiment started: Vexen’s laboratory. Behind me, I could hear the elder man scrambling to turn off his machine before he came to my side, hastily tearing the devices from my forehead and fingers. After he’d left my side, quickly putting all his tools back in order, I sat up to look for the source of the voice. To my surprise it was Axel! He stood in the corner of the room with his arms folded across his chest, his feline eyes glaring daggers at Vexen. By the look of his stance, and the tone of his voice, I could tell that the flame-wielding enigma was not too happy about what he had witnessed before he decided to put a stop to it.

“Axel, what are you doing intruding in my room?” the elder man shot back, shutting off his machine.

“I was sent to look for the kid. But that still doesn’t answer my question. What are you doing, Vikusen.”

Vexen babbled, but his words were inaudible.

“What was that?”

Pausing, Vexen glared up at Axel. I could tell he was a little flustered from his research being interrupted. “I was merely testing the boy’s reactions to images that were shown to him.”

“Oh, is that so?”

“You may scorn now, but this is important research, Akuseru. Time will tell. In order to fulfill the Superior’s plans we need to know all that we can about the Heart! He is the Discovered Key! With the boy we can understand more about – “
“That’s enough!” Axel’s order was so final that even I was stilled. Tension lay thick in the air as the two enigmas stared down one another, seeing who would be the first to back off in submission. However, the contest was won when Vexen finally looked away. I could him clenching and unclenching his fists while glaring at the ground.

“Never do something like this without permission or leave from the Superior,” Axel sneered. “You are Number Four; you should know better.” Breaking, the red-haired enigma glanced at me. A strange grin spread across his face as he signaled me to follow him. “Set an example for the kid,” he mocked, leading me out of the testing facility. Glad to finally leave that place, I didn’t hesitate in following Axel.

“Axel,” I said, once we were clear of Vexen’s laboratory, “what were those images he was showing me?” We walked down the white hall, going nowhere in particular. As I gazed up at him, I knew that despite the obvious answer I would receive that Axel did know what Vexen had shown me. Why else would he cut the old man off so abruptly? Even now, the Thirteenth Order was keeping something away from me and they did whatever they could to keep it a secret.

“Ah, don’t worry about it,” the flame-wielder replied nonchalantly.

“Why the hell not?” I said angrily, stopping in my tracks. I was tired of this bullshit! Whatever those images I saw were, whatever my past was I had a right to know.

“It doesn’t matter, alright?” Reeling around he turned to face me. His look of frustration bore down on me and I felt myself beginning to shrink back. “Why do you care so much about your previous existence? Look: the point is you’re here now and the past is dead. Well… sort of.” Turning his back on me, he started down the hall once more.

But I wasn’t finished yet.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

Axel stopped. There was silence as the enigma stared at the marble ground. Curiously, hoping that he had finally cracked, I glanced at his face and saw that his eyes were filled with thought and contemplation. This was it! He was finally going to tell me. Maybe now I would finally have the answers I’d longed for since I was introduced to the Thirteenth Order.

“You know what, kid?” he finally said. “I honestly can’t tell you that.”

If I had a Heart, it would have shattered right then and there. It felt as though my stomach had dropped to the floor. I did nothing –said nothing- but stared up at Axel blankly. Why? Why? Why wasn’t I allowed to know my own past? How could they keep something like this from me? It was torture. It was worse than not even existing at all. When I looked within myself I saw nothing but the abyss of nothingness. No past, no memories, no Heart. Nothing. Axel told me at least I existed, but what was the point of this existence if I had no memories of who I was? I was once again defeated. Sighing bitterly, my shoulders drooped a bit as I glanced at the floor.

“Akuseru? Why were you looking for me?”

“Hmm? Oh. Xigbar says you need training.”

Training? “For what?”

“In combat, of course. How do you expect to represent this ‘Elite Order’ without proper training?” He must have seen my look of dismay, because Axel rolled his eyes and turned towards me. “Don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll find the strength within yourself.”

“Really?” I asked meekly, staring up at the enigma. There was something strange about the way he said it, probably because I could never picture Axel saying something as cheesy as that.

“Really.”

Then, without warning, the flame-wielder’s Chakram appeared in his hands. Grinning at me maniacally he rose one over his head, bringing it down towards me.

TheClamWhisperer

Vampire Fish
o-O

AXEY-KUN SAVES THE DAY AGAIN! *glomps*

Awesome chapter KS!

What I would like to know is why everyone is blonde!?

Actually Krad, only Cloud, Roxas, Larxene, Luxord, and Tidus are blonde if you mean Square characters in KH.

...Still!

Anyhow...that was an awesome update! Take yer time with the next one!

Angel Shards

I would kill for you <3
Thanks all :) Glad you....uh..liked it? Chapter four will probably be a while, so be patient. I think it will feature more Roxas and Axel than any other Order member.

Thanks for the support, all ^_^

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
O___O OH. MAH. GWAH.

STUPID, STUPID, STUPID VEXEN!!! I HATE YOUR FREAKIN' GUTS, YOU STUPID--

Sora: -covers Rena's mouth with tape- ^^;

Rena: =___=

Sora: Er... you liked it? :D;

Rena: -nods- =___=

Sora: -sweatdrop- Um... awesome update, KS? ^^;

Rena: -nods frantically- :3

Angel Shards

I would kill for you <3
O.O;; -restrains Rena- XD lolz, you can't kill Vexen yet! My still needs him mor meh story!

^_^ Glad you liked it :D

And as for the next chapter? I havn't even started it yet. Am still brainstorming ^_^ Be patient.

Angel Shards

I would kill for you <3
Update:

Alright, havn't started chapter four, but I will soon. It may be hard with KH II now out...but meh XD lolz. Anyways, I want it up by the end of next week at the earliest..beginning of the week after at the latest.

Thanks for your patience!

Angel Shards

I would kill for you <3
ack! I know ^_^;; Gomensie! I promise it will be done soon. I sorta know where I want this chapter to go.

Heehee. Much love for your patience :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back