• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Stage Fright

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

αsiя

space coke
Is there anyway I can overcome my stage fright

Today in school I had to do a presentation and i was nervous as fuck
I hate this because normally I'm a talkative person but when I'm in the spotlight then I shit my pants

Is there any good methods of overcoming this fear and not by pretending everyone is in underwear

A

Azrael

Wear glasses. It works for me. Technically i'm not looking at the audience but at the glass.

Shitty advice but oh well sucks for you.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
Even if you're completely awful at whatever it is you're doing in front of an audience, put your best effort into it; sometimes, selling the performance is more important than actually doing well.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards
I have the same problem. My advice would be to look at one of your friends and not look at the rest of the class. It worked wonders for me. Except I sometimes end up laughing because they usually make faces at me, or you could look pass the class to the back of the room and it still looks like you are looking at the class. That helped me too.

Jolts

Generally what I do is just focus on my project and forget that the audience is there. It generally works, but you still need to make it look like you're speaking to them, which is a little tricky. Good luck on future presentations.

Allister Rose

French Lover
act like you dont care if you mess up, as long as you sound confident, pepole will think your doing a great job, when deep down your scared as heck, no one will see that.

Mallorytheace

I have stage fright too.Best thing to do is just relax,take a deep breath and just go for it.I get so nervous in front of a crowd,but I am always glad in the end that I did it and I didn't chicken out.

Leonard

Married to Crimson ♥
I hear a good method is actually to just forward to the relief you'll feel when you're through with it. Sounds pretty stupid, but it worked a few times for me.

And normally it's really over before you know it, so it makes sense somewhat. :3

tangerine

Awards
Usually, I'd explain it myself, but in this case it'd take too long because there are so many variables. Do a little bit of research on the psychological explanations for stage fright and pin point your specific problem. (Links will be provided.) Are you anxious? Are you nervous? Are you afraid? Are you not prepared? Are you overly self-conscious? The solution depends on the actual problem. If you aren't prepared, the simple solution is to study more, practice more and commit your knowledge to memory. Whenever I give presentations or lectures, I usually know what I'm talking about so I don't have to constantly review notes. If you're overly self-conscious, you need to find a way to gain more confidence in your abilities. Present yourself convincingly and you will be convincing. After you identify your problem you can learn to cope with it or overcome it.

Define your stage fright: Stage Fright - PsychWiki - A Collaborative Psychology Wiki
Cover your bases: Fighting Stage Fright | Psychology Today

ThePromise

Tired
Awards
I'm surprised how scared shitless my 16-18 year old peers are about presenting a book report to the class too, isn't hard explaining what the book was about and how it made you feel ..I'd rather take a C for a partially attempted presentation than take an F for being afraid =/

Honestly, when you get up there and just do it, it becomes so much easier.

NumberVIII

Ohohoh pick me! I'm an actress, I do this shit all the time. ^^

Before you go on stage (or in front of the class, whatever it is), take deep breaths and calm yourself down. Get in the zone. Think about what you're about to do, but don't freak out about it. Don't go "OHSHITIMAFUCKTHISUP". Be confident. When you're presenting (or doing whatever you're doing), don't look at anybody. Look out over everyone's heads at the back wall, and pretend they aren't even there. As you present, you will probably feel yourself get less nervous as it goes on.

You'll be fine, just don't stress about it. Relax. :)

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
Practice in front of a mirror. It actually worked for me during my highschool years.

Lolita

Dear You
Oh god, i'm the exact same. I can't present something without crying or being too quiet.
I haven't been able to do anything that works wonders, since I have the lowest self esteem on earth, but I guess look straight ahead, somewhere where there isn't anyone and just focus on that spot or something and don't look at anyone. I'm paranoid about getting judged irl unlike on the internet, so, I guess try thinking that you get judged everyday and it's no big deal. Which doesn't work for me. Try looking at a friend, too, they make you feel more secure. But if you don't have any friends or people you're really close to in your class well you're screwed.

Fortissimo

I have a friend like that. She freaks out and usually can't go though with the rest of her presentation. I told her to just relax and focus the entire time on one person, or a picture on the wall. I get nervous before I perform, so I have to convince myself that I am the shit and I won't mess up. And if I do mess up, I act like I meant to do it and continue as confident as I can convince myself to be.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
scubasteve's tips to being a public speaking phenom by: stevphen

always volunteer to go first so you can get it out of the way

also try going after a really shitty presentation so yours is like a breath of fresh air

this may sound cocky and/or harsh but i am also extremely quiet irl but i have been told i am a great public speaker and that is because i keep a positive mindset when it comes to adversity and i believe i can do anything i set my mind to and if you stupid little nitwits are just gonna be lame and have that mindset that you're gonna suck well then GUESS WHAT you're gonna suck this doesn't just apply to class presentations this applies to anything in real life just be comfortable with yourself and you can do ANYTHING this is not a run-on sentence btw

also pretending everyone is in their underwear is a severely underrated tactic

unless your presentation or whatever is so shitty it stands out, chances are no one will give two farts about you or your presentation so just do whatcha gotta do and you will do fine

Roxas-XIII

xD Ive got to do a presentation next week >.< Not looking forward to it, but i usually do better when im actually presenting it.

Like some have said, look at one of your friends or just generally look to each of your friends a couple of times. Also, if the teacher is one you get along with, it's good to make eye contact with them every now and again. Those are just things that help me do presentations, and i'll probably use them next week XD

Twilightheaven

Twilight Warrior of the Stars
Awards
just talk like you normally do with friends. All in all just be yourself and have fun with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back