• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SSX series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

metrifyx

The date was bumped up to January. ;u;

Since I lost Tricky, I picked it up yesterday. After playing it (still the best game ever), there were a few things I thought should be included in SSX.

1. Dialogue - Already discussed this. The dialogue before and after each match in Tricky was nice, and that hasn't been as prominent in newer games.
2. Trick Book - I like the idea of earning rewards for successfully performing tricks, as well as keeping track of how many tricks you've performed.
3. Rider Rank - This gives me incentive, haha.

The biggest thing is that I hope there's more interaction and character development in the game, even through little text messages or radio announcements like in SSX 3. The characters just have so much personality, and I want to see that put to use.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
Oh man I almost forgot about the Trick Book. I became obsessed with that for a while haha

And I agree with you, a lack of before and after dialogue sort of is a disservice to each character's great personality.

Zook

you can never leave KHI
Awards
That's pretty cool they are going to implement the control schemes from both classic SSX and the new Skate flick-it system. Thanks for the share.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
It looks like that's what they're going for.

I'm a little annoyed that Eddie, my favorite character, is a Game Stop pre-order exclusive bonus instead of being in the actual game

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
I really hope so. I'll be pissed if they don't. This is why I hate store exclusive pre-orders, no matter where you pre-order it you're still gonna get screwed out of content.

Here all the pre-order incentives:
GameStop – receive legendary SSX character Eddie Wachowski, his Elite snowboard, and a bonus boost.

Origin – receive Elise’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost.

Amazon – receive Mac’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost.

Best Buy – receive Zoe’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost.

Wal-Mart – receive Kaori’s Elite snowboard and a bonus boost.

source: Buy SSX - EA

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
And they want me to go to GameStop if I even want to play as my favorite character. But it's like CaptainMarvel said, it'll more than likely be DLC after the launch. I might not risk it though, sometimes EA doens't release the pre-oder bonuses at all.

metrifyx

YEEEAAAAAAAH DUDE let's revive this thread

So, online is insanely cool. I'm so pumped.

Mac and Elise looked like total monsters in the Gamescom trailer. Moby did too, surprisingly, despite looking like he ate a fridge. Kaori and Psymon are absolutely horrendous, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Unfortunately, Sean Smillie is being a tool and not listening to the fans. The excuses: "It would be too easy," and, "Their gear and clothing has to look like it can deal with punishment," but if that's his logic, then where does Eddie fit? They'll create a whole new character (whom the previous statements don't apply to, no less) for a bunch of whiners on Facebook but then Psymon and Kaori fans respectfully state that they dislike the designs and Smillie and co. don't care? Bullshit. Well, I guess we now know that in order to get what you want you have to spam every post on the Facebook page.

The only thing that can save the two, as well as Alex, now is customization. We've got a guy on the inside who conducted an interview with the team, so hopefully once he transcribes it we'll get some answers.

And butters and ubergrinds make a return! wooooo

Also, Charles Guan worked on some concepts for the game. He's an insanely talented artist. Check this out: Pictures by CharlesGuan_MC - Photobucket

Hokkaido and Alaska. <3

Speaking of Alaska, have you seen those pipes? Not even rails, pipes. When Mac was riding down one in the Gamescom trailer I died. They just look so awesome! ;u;

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
Yeah they think they're giving the fans what the want as far as characters go, but almost all of the character designs are pretty crappy. Especially Eddie and his beard. He should have an orange goatee not a damn brown beard and mustache. But gameplay wise, so far it is everything I've been wanting a next generation SSX game. I just wish that they'd get there shit together with the characters. I'm really annoyed, almost to the point of being pissed off, that I have to go to my least favorite retailer and pre-order the game to even be able to play as my favorite character. And like CaptainMarvel said, Eddie and the rest of the pre-order bonuses could be released as DLC, but EA doesn't always release the pre-order bonuses.

metrifyx

Exactly. Gameplay-wise, this game's going to be killer. But for most long-time fans, characters are 30% of the game. Honestly, they're so superficial that I don't see how you could possibly mess them up. But Smillie and co. are making easy things hard because they don't understand that in this case, easy is good. When I'm riding down the mountain at an insanely fast speed, pulling off insane tricks, I'm not going to care about the backstory of Kaori. I'm going to look at her and think that she looks like shit. Backstories are nice and add depth to the game, but the story should not be the first priority in an arcade game; looks should. Not to mention that they didn't even pull off the concepts that they came up with well. I know that sounds pretentious, but that's honestly what I think. Psymon being a biker doesn't equate to having him look like a middle-aged Carl from UP. Kaori being a skateboarder and a DJ doesn't mean that she has to look like a pissed-off goth. Seriously, those are pretty much as opposite as you can get with those characters. They need to take a step back and look at why people like them in the first place. The only character that I think is perfect is Zoe (and you know she's perfect because she's Smillie's favorite character. Apparently he couldn't bear to feel the pain that the rest of us are feeling at having our favorites destroyed), and Elise, Mac, and Moby are fine in my book (but Moby still looks like a fridge). Griff is great considering his role in the story. The newbies are mishmashes of old American characters because the team felt that they needed foreign versions of them for diversity (e.g. Brodi, Nate). One of the producers has literally said this regarding Ty. Alex is an "alternative" to Elise, whatever that means. Look in her character blog and Elise's and you'll see the same exact inspiration pictures. Don't know what they were thinking there.

The Eddie thing doesn't bother me seeing as he wasn't supposed to be in the game anyway, but it's interesting how they took a gift "for the fans" and turned it into a money-making deal. Though really I'm cool with it because I know that the more money they get, the more online content, and the more of a chance there'll be for another game. The first game needs to do well and prove to people that the series can make a comeback, then the second game can really be "for the fans."

edit: Did I mention that Todd Batty is the man? Because really, he is.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
But for SSX, the characters have almost always been as important in bringing the game to life as the gameplay and the courses. I mean they even got Hollywood actors (some not that well known) and pop artists to do the voices of these characters, showing that they wanted to make it as fun of an experience as possible. But instead of going all out like they used to, they're being over cautious and over thinking things. That's why Kaori looks how she does. Instead making her how we want her, they're pulling back and over thinking things. I'm surprised they screwed up Moby since he is one of the 3 most important characters. I mean he was the only character on the cover of the original SSX for shit's sake! When it comes down to it, EA is scared of the characters for this SSX. They're either not doing enough, or they're doing far too much.

That's not necessarily true. 9 times out of 10 you can tell when content that was made to be in the original game is taken out so it can be used to make profit later on. A prime example of that is a character for Mass Effect 2 that was DLC. You can tell that BioWare originally wanted Kasumi (the character) in the game, but either ran out of time, or thought it best to leave her out. EA more than likely told them to finish it so that they could make some extra cash off of the game.

metrifyx

Extremely true. We can only hope that they listen to the fans like, for the most part, they have gone above and beyond in doing, and put customization into the game with some more "retro" options.

That's a good point. Something else to consider: if you look in one of the "Making of SSX" videos (four, I think?) you can see on the bulletin board with the character history chart that there's a lineup of seven vets—and those vets were the seven that made it into the game. (As a side note, this video was posted before the character voting even began. Can you say, "bullshit"?) Not really proof either way, but it's interesting to say the least.

...nvm, good news. Soultron on Merq just posted this:

And, to echo what others have said, the team mentioned specifically that they want Eddie to be an unlockable character. I think the pre-order bonus is a simple "get him right now instead of waiting until you beat the game" kind of deal. EA has done this sort of thing in the past as part of pre-order bonuses and such.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
I think I saw that video you're talkingg about. I think

I'm sorry, but that is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. What's the point of that pre-order bonus then besides getting his Elite board and a bonus boost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back