• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SSD killed the Gummi Ship?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Insomniac

Bronze Member
Awards
With Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart in the spotlight and witnessing the environmental transitions via rift portals, I can’t help but imagine this technology in a Kingdom Hearts game. How? To traverse worlds, realms or what have you.

The Keyblade would obviously be the medium for this transportation method but as far as what it would be called or explained as in lore I would say the door to light, an antithesis to the corridors of darkness. We’ve seen it in action at the end of KH2.

I know that they just put all this effort into revamping the Gummi Ship sections of KH3 but in reality that’s just time and resources that could have been spent on the main game portions or other side content (like a coliseum tournament). I wouldn’t be surprised if Gummi Ships made a return in the next mainline KH game but do we want it to honestly?

Noivern

Awards
They also spent a lot of time and resources on the Gummis back in 2 only for them to not be featured in any shape or form in a single spin off game.

I hate the Gummi and personally think it's a major waste of time. The open world nature of 3 was interesting for the exploration, but I hate the fight sessions; I just wanted to get them done quickly so I could go back to the actual game.

So yeah, I'm all for no more gummi mechanics.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'd be fine with ditching the Gummi ship altogether, even if it has improved in every subsequent game it's appeared in. Who knows why they were more attached to keeping something like it around instead of something fans have actually liked like, say, the Coliseum, for example, lol.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I don't care for the Gummi Ship either but it seems like they intend for it to be a staple in Sora-led main games where he travels around with Donald and Goofy. For games featuring other characters who use alternative methods such as corridors and gates, they can put this tech to good use.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
The Gummi ship would still be there even if they nix the gameplays segments, at least that's what I was thinking anyway. It can be shown in cutscene when you select a world, you just don't drive or fight in it anymore.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I really don’t care for the Gummi Ship. KH3 is the first time it’s been a bit more bearable and I thought that KH2’s could be fun if you knew how to cheese the system with a donut ship, but I could live without it.

If they intend for it to be a mainstay of Sora’s journey, I think they still have room to improve on the controls.

I just think there won’t be loading between these segments like from world to over-world map.

AegisXIII

Awards
It depends. I think that games that use the ssd will have to be locked on a specific console as there are many types of ssd with many different speeds. Not to mention that many pc users still play games with an external hard drive. Thus, games that tend to be multiplatform won't have gameplay mechanics like this for a very long time I think. Only console exclusives will exploit it completely.

And gummi ship is FUN! KH2 and KH3 are amazing. Only kh1 is meh.

okhi12

Awards
As Spockanort said KH2's is fun when you cheese it with a donut ship, but some missions were frustrating even that way, and a few ones didn't allow custom ships and required specific ship models. I don't want to see that ghost ship again. When I saw its rusted remnants in KH3 I laughed.

KH3's gummi ship was entertaining but that's it. I have two major complaints with it:

First, the minimap was frustrating at times when looking for crystals because it's in 2D and it doesn't show the vertical position in a 3D space, so it's not possible to know whether a crystal is above or below the gummi ship, wasting a lot of time if you choose to go the wrong way. This wouldn't be a problem at all if it wasn't for the poorly designed gummi ship controls which are my other issue with it.

As far as I know the gummi ship controls don't have an option to move directly up and down without advancing in the horizontal direction (if there is, I must be stupid and don't know how) so you have to resort to maneuvering in a weird manner to reach something that may be quite close but not on the same plane, often having to move in a closed spiral only to end up completely lost or far from the intended destination. The camera also gets tricky at times, which only adds to the frustration.

If a gummi open world like the one in KH3 returns in a future game they better solve those issues, otherwise I don't want to see this iteration of the gummi system again.

Last edited:

Dark Rot

Awards
I've come to appreciate the KH1 gummi ship over the years because it's the only one where you can a feel a sense of meaningful progression. As you play through the game, and get the option to add more engines to your ship, you get faster, which makes the segments way more fun and snappy. I like the KH2 gummi ship too because it's much more beautiful and the music is great. I thought the gummi bosses in KH3 were surprisingly good, but the exploration controls felt wrong to me, and the maps were ugly, aside from the worlds themselves, which looked cool as you approached.

I personally want gummi to stay in some form. More gummi lore would be cool, but they've pretty much dropped that since KH1, so I won't hold my breath. I'd like if they reworked the sailing mechanics from The Caribbean for interworld travel. Having a big fancy galleon you could customize (and walk around in) would be so much cooler than the little lego spaceship.

However, I would definitely like to see the Corridors of Darkness. That's a big lacuna in the worldbuilding of KH. Something that's constantly used as a story device, even by playable characters, yet we never get to explore them ourselves.

I really like destructible objects in games, so a little side-world made of gummi where you can break the whole landscape apart or slay gummi monsters with your keyblade into chunks for shipbuilding sounds very relaxing to me. Basically, I want the opposite of most KH fans, lol. I'd rather they leaned into gummi and tried to make it really special and essential.

I'd also like skateboarding to return, or some other form of transportation just for the sake of fun. It would be kind of cool if Sora surfed interspace in fast-paced surreal tracks between worlds. It just has to feel good and flow nicely, as opposed to the diving in DDD. As long as worlds are segregated, I like getting to do the traveling part. It makes it feel like more of an adventure. Maybe in Quadratum, we'll be taking the train. I'm also more than fine with a KH game with one interconnected map for once, that challenges the idea of how Disney worlds are represented.

Back