• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Squaresound - Nobuo Uematsu Arrangement Competition

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Our wonderful affiliates at Squaresound.com are hosting an arrangement competition. The winner will get VIP Tickets to the Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy Concert in Chicago IL, and get to meet THE Nobuo Uematsu in person!

SquareSound.com said:
contest_banner2007.jpg

Contest Overview

As many of you may know, December, 2007 marks the 20-year anniversary of the illustrious Final Fantasy series. It's hard to believe that for the last 20 years, gamers of all ages have been scampering about on Chocobos, traveling the globe in airships, collaborating with furry Moogles, and summoning the likes of Shiva and Bahamut to their aid. For fans of the series' musical scores, the legendary Nobuo Uematsu has been just as much of a Final Fantasy mainstay as any of these things. To honor Mr. Uematsu for providing us with more than two decades worth of gripping, emotional, and downright excellent musical works, and kick off the United States debut of the new "Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy" concert series, we would like to present the biggest competition we've ever put on: The 2007/2008 SquareSound Tribute to Nobuo Uematsu Arrangement Competition!

The Criteria

Each contestant must submit an arrangement in either MP3 or MIDI format of a piece originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu. Note that the competition isn't limited to the Final Fantasy series. For example, you may choose to arrange something from Blue Dragon, or the upcoming Lost Odyssey. The arrangement can be for any instrument or instruments, must be complete, and must be entirely the contestant's own work. Previously created work that has already been submitted to SquareSound or other websites may not be used. The work must be new and original.

The Prize

The winner of this competition will receive two (2) VIP tickets to the "Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy" concert that will take place on March 1, 2008 at the Rosemont Theater in Chicago, Illinois. The VIP tickets (valued at $150 USD each) entitle the recipient to prime seats near the front of the stage, a concert program, a CD recording of the concert, and the ability to attend a "meet-and-greet" session with Nobuo Uematsu himself after the concert. For situations in which the winner is unable to attend the concert due to other obligations or geographical barriers, a to-be-disclosed alternate prize will be awarded.

The Judging Process

A qualified panel of judges will score each entry using the criteria outlined below. Each piece will be given a numbered rating between one (1) and one hundred (100) based on the weighted average scores of the three categories. The final scores of all judges will then be averaged to determine the winner.
Judges will remain anonymous, unless they expicitly specify otherwise. All comments, in their full copy, will be released to the public when all reports have been compiled.
The format for judging will be divided into three categories, inspired from past competitions but with the intention of being somewhat streamlined. It is as follows:

Technique: Grade the piece's technical merit. Its fluidity and confidence can all play a part, but complicated music will not be rewarded over simplicity if both attempts are equally adept. This section may be dropped by the judge if he or she feels either uncertain or uncomfortable on the subject.

Musicality: Grade the success of the piece's musical direction. Analyze context, sensitivity, lyricism, and the overall intended effect from the composer's point of view. Try to determine whether the composition works in relation to its source, itself, and its own aesthetic and proportion rather than on preference.

Personal Tilt: Grade based on opinion. This is the chance to influence the score on taste; promising works that perhaps had a few rough edges can be raised, others lowered, within reason.
Each area will receive a mark between 1 and 10, and all three scores will be averaged. Commentary may touch on each point in turn or may be formed in uninterrupted prose. Admittedly, the line between technique and musicality is blurred; since music is arguably both an art and a science, the judgment of the panel will be trusted.

The Deadlines

Contestants must register for the competition by Monday, January 14, 2008 to be considered for the contest. Registration involves filling out a form (link below) to notify us of your interest in competing and providing us with your contact information. You need not have selected the piece you wish to arrange in order to register, and applicants are free to change their piece selection or withdraw from the contest at any time. Once registered, contestants may begin work on their arrangement immediately.
Your finished arrangement must be submitted to us no later than Friday, February 8, 2008. This is already cutting it close for people who may need to make travel arrangements, so this deadline is firm and will not be adjusted. Within a week of receiving all submissions, the winner will be determined and notified. The full results will be posted on the website shortly thereafter.

The Fine Print

By registering to participate in this contest, you agree to allow SquareSound to post your name on the website, and exclusively post your arrangement in our Arrangement Archive regardless of whether you are the winner or not. The contest is open to everyone except where prohibited by law. Airfare, hotel, and other expenses (if applicable) are not included in the prize package.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Good luck to the entrants. I don't think I will be able to enter due to me being way too busy nowadays, that and I lack the proper programs, but I'll let Xaldin know about this, considering he just bought a $1000 music mixing program.

Xaldin

Bronze Member
Awards
I totally would try that out if it wasn't for the amount of money I'd have to pay to get to America in the first place though. I could enter for the hell of it though and if I somehow do win, just send the price ticket to some random person for free.

Deeman

out of order
Awards
Website
www.khinsider.com
Hmm... interesting. I don't think I'd stand a chance.

I take it the entries can be piano compositions as well? And do they have to be like... sheet music? o_O

If so, I think Oathy could win this. xD

Or I could make a song in the music program I have.

Xaldin

Bronze Member
Awards
My only real question is what do they mean by arrangement? Because I'm not sure which style to do for this... I could either do the one I did in YouTube - Final Fantasy IX - Dark Messenger (Orchestrated) & YouTube - Final Fantasy X - Enemy Attack (Orchestrated)

Or are they looking for something that mixes the feel of the track yet keeps the feel like how I did in YouTube - Final Fantasy X - Seymour Battle (Technotized)

Either way, I'm mostly intrigued in doing FFXI's Opening.

Due to location, and date of the concert probably conflict with my time in school, I'll just take that alternate prize...

Hope the others that enter win the tickets!

Last edited:

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
I have no musical talent but I have a question. When is this concert? Are tickets available? 'Cause I live in Chicago and would LOVE to attend.

Divine Shadow

in the recesses of my shattered mind, hoping to fi
WHOA... this sounds SOOO cool... if only i knew how to play one of the songs...but me + my piano = pain. And what i can play has none of the sophisticated touch of any music from the FF series. Man.... it sucks living in Alberta... even if by some unreal chance i won (perty impossible...XD).... i would die.... Nobuo Uematsu is one of my idols.... Oh well, its a nice daydream

Last edited:
W

weewee

im gonna ebter. i LOVE that guy he has inspired me. i choose to go to college in music because of him. i bought programs to help me study music . and he raised me on chrono trigger and FF games since i was like in the 3rd grade XD i want to go just to meet him. i would fly all th eway there just to see him. wish me luck everyone!!!

does it have to be a ochrstrated arage? or a piano? or a mix? or does it have to be the song or a remix u made?

Back