• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Square Enix Hiring Various Positions in HD Development for the Kingdom Hearts series

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Doubtful, but first we'd have to see what they have in mind. If it's anything like KH3, then that's a big nope for Switch.
I'm not convinced KH3 on Switch is impossible. The Witcher 3 of all games is playable on Switch now & runs fairly decently. UE4 is a scaleable engine with a native Switch version. & there are UE4 games that run worse than KH3 that still got Switch ports.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
Hey so Anyone else here kinda hoping that we get the name of the new Kingdom Hearts title (confirmed name not just reconnect which is a word we have been seeing for way too long btw) and a small trailer for it at the end of the new dlc ReMind? i mean as stated previously that both projects were in development together. (dlc and new title)

2 quid is good

Awards
I'm interested in seeing the new hype cycle start up again, I enjoy seeing people lose their heads over this series :p

That being said, I'm also interested in whether or not any of the plot criticism was heard by the devs, cos I know they've heard at least some of the gameplay ones. If it was I fully expect Nomura to steamroll over it all and do what he wants anyway out of "spite" or something. C'est la vie I guess

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Hey so Anyone else here kinda hoping that we get the name of the new Kingdom Hearts title (confirmed name not just reconnect which is a word we have been seeing for way too long btw) and a small trailer for it at the end of the new dlc ReMind? i mean as stated previously that both projects were in development together. (dlc and new title)

It's far too early.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
If the new game is DDD Volume 2 at best I can see them expanding a bit on KH3's secret ending. Something like Riku confronting Gigas or seeing Sora start the Reaper Game

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
You come off as a Playstation fanboy. I hope the next game comes to Switch and is exclusive just to see people whine about it more.

I know you're already banned, but, I'm gonna respond to this anyway.

It's not the fact that they're a fanboy, it's moreso the fact that in terms of KH, there's a clear sign of preference for PlayStation. Ask Xbox fans about how their experience playing 0.2 or The Story So Far is... Oh wait. They can't.

Even though they'll never come out and say it (and why would they lmao, that's a terrible business practice), it's clear that KH on PlayStation is the definitive experience. If you own a PS4, you're more likely to enjoy JRPGs anyway, so it makes sense.

It's far too early.

The very last thing we need is them releasing a conceptual trailer right now, because then everyone's gonna have super high expectations for ideas that might not even make it in the final game. If there's one thing FFXV and KH3 (even FF7R to a degree) has shown, it's that showing trailers YEARS before a game is supposed to come out is never a good idea.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I can't believe I missed this news.

Didn't Nomura say that Square Enix plans on releasing a new Kingdom Hearts title each year? Assuming ReMind counts as a seperate title, I assumed this under-development title is going to be a 2021 release.

I have a gut feeling this is the X HD remake. Union Cross has too much canonical value to be stuck on a server dependant mobile game.

Awards

Didn't Nomura say that Square Enix plans on releasing a new Kingdom Hearts title each year? Assuming ReMind counts as a seperate title, I assumed this under-development title is going to be a 2021 release.
I don't remember him saying that.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I recall him saying that too! Don't remember where he said it tho.

EDIT: I found it! It was in the Ultimania!

Nomura: At this point in time, I have given the staff a list of the battle elements I want to do, and they are investigating. As for additional story, I think it will mainly be expanding on the Keyblade Graveyard things I mentioned before when I talked about narrowing my aim. I do plan to complete it as soon as possible, but as we are working on it alongside preparation for the next project, I still can't tell you when to expect it to be released. For the time being, we are planning to present several pieces of content as one pack rather than release several separate things.

Me thinks preparation means Pre-Production.
There it is. Thanks!
I'm not convinced KH3 on Switch is impossible. The Witcher 3 of all games is playable on Switch now & runs fairly decently. UE4 is a scaleable engine with a native Switch version. & there are UE4 games that run worse than KH3 that still got Switch ports.
Now that you mention it, you have a point. I imagine SE is satisfied with the sales of KH3. Adding it to the Switch would be some sort of pitch that would convince Square to accommodate the necessary manpower to make that happen.
It's far too early.
Yep. Square Enix institutionalized a new policy where they're going to stop announcing games if they're too early in development.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I have a gut feeling this is the X HD remake. Union Cross has too much canonical value to be stuck on a server dependant mobile game.

That was the plan from like a decade ago. I don’t think they are going to go for the year plan anymore.

Nyx Winters

The Dawn Fox
Awards
That was the plan from like a decade ago. I don’t think they are going to go for the year plan anymore.
I dont even think that idea was a good at the time they bought some time with the remakes but it was putting more or a strain on the team to get things done faster to accomadate this plan. Id be happy with a late 21 - mid 22 release for the next game to be honest

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I dont even think that idea was a good at the time they bought some time with the remakes but it was putting more or a strain on the team to get things done faster to accomadate this plan. Id be happy with a late 21 - mid 22 release for the next game to be honest
Mmmm.... Now that I think about it, it was that one game a year plan that gave us the 358/BBS/Re:coded trilogy, as well as DDD, right? I'd say the game's might've benefitted, from a story perspective at least, because it gave Nomura less time to forget key information and plotlines from throughout the series (like he did with KH3, which obviously came out much later, and with a much lengthier development time). Then again, he is starting a new saga, so maybe it's best he takes this first one slow, and then have a quicker release schedule for the subsequent follow up games.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards

We can't rely on that statement anymore. It's been years since he said that and now we have to take two things into account:

1 - The current generation of consoles. Even if the next game was an exclusive for Switch, it would still take them years to make a proper game.

2 - Less "spin-off" games. The next games may be as ambitious as KH3 or close to that, regardless if they are a numbered entry or not.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
We can't rely on that statement anymore. It's been years since he said that and now we have to take two things into account:

1 - The current generation of consoles. Even if the next game was an exclusive for Switch, it would still take them years to make a proper game.

2 - Less "spin-off" games. The next games may be as ambitious as KH3 or close to that, regardless if they are a numbered entry or not.
The counterpoint to both of those points is mobile. There is no reason to assume there won't be more mobile KH titles in the future.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

Like everyone else has already said, that was the plan leading up to KH3 so we had stuff to do. Now that the game's out, the only thing we really have to look forward to is ReMIND and Union X's story updates. Once the DLC releases we'll have an idea of where the story is gonna head next, but UX is going to be where the attention goes from here on until the next HD title comes out.

In an interview, Nomura mentioned something about a "double feature", so it very well could be a Union X title for PS4 and Xbox One, FFXIV-style. It would make more sense, since even though mobile games are a thing in Japan, it would be a good way to keep the franchise alive for quite some time until the next game comes out.

In fact, maybe that's why we ended up getting the Back Cover movie, and why the Foretellers even appeared in the Epilogue -- the assets were already made so they can just use that for a potential UX console game, a lot of Daybreak Town is already created. Plus, it being on HD consoles allow the story to expand in ways they probably can't do with a phone. I'd like to see it.

Either way though, I really wonder what the "double feature" could be.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
I'm hoping for a KHx Re:Make for PS4/5 in their current cartoon graphics. OR maybe Switch.

I mean, they remade Coded for DS.

CDD

Awards
Read, people. They wouldn't be looking for people with experience developing games on PS4/X1 to make a Switch game. The project these hiring ads for is for PS4/X1 or maybe even next gen since those would be the closest approximation.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Read, people. They wouldn't be looking for people with experience developing games on PS4/X1 to make a Switch game. The project these hiring ads for is for PS4/X1 or maybe even next gen since those would be the closest approximation.
The listing references Unreal Engine 4, which was the engine used to make KINGDOM HEARTS III, and the same engine that has an optimization option for the Nintendo Switch. If the Witcher made it into Switch, there's no reason to quickly cancel it.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't think KHIII will come out for the Switch. I'd rather be surprised, since I am wholeheartedly convinced that we won't see a KH game on the Switch.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
It's rather unprecedented for a non-main numbered sequel to launch on console. It seems so much more reasonable to start KH4 now and have smaller side games for Switch and mobile to lead up to it. Nobody wants to wait another decade for KH4 after all.

Back