• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spring/Summer 2016 Writing Contest Submissions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
on the playground is where I spent most of my days
What's up lovely people of the world! Here is where I'll be posting all my writing submissions as I've put in the title. Every bolded topic below indicates the ones I have completed thus far. Can I do them all? Only time can tell! Feel free to leave your comments, critiques, questions anything you'd like about my submissions as I post them within this thread.

Below is the list of the contest topics:

Dearly Beloved
Your First/Last
Hospital
Retelling/HISHE
I'm Coming Home
Psychological
Detective/ Murder Mystery
Crossovers
Past, Present, Future
Hero or Villain?
Trapped in an Elevator/Traffic
4th of July
Song
24 Hours
A Choice
20 Minutes or Less
Three Day Challenge
Usernames
Fantasy
Confessions
Road Trip
What Frightens You?

Without further ado, happy posting!

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
DISCLAIMER: This one is very personal for me, so I have warned you now that it might be a bit heavy, but this means a lot to me and was quite an emotional entry to write out. This is my dedication to someone very important to me who is no longer with us. So there it is and thank you in advanced for understanding. :)

Entry #1

Dearly Beloved - You write about someone important to you as the theme for this one. You could also take "dearly beloved" quite literally in the forms of Kingdom Hearts and write anything KH related.​

Dearly Beloved,

It’s hard to admit that I haven’t spoken about you in awhile, not due to shame or guilt, nor is it at all an attempt to forget. My greatest flaw of all was my age, I was too young to understand the importance of your foundation and how you’ve laid it for my family and I, too naïve to know it was okay to grieve, and now that I am older and receptive of my emotions, I can reflect on every holiday, every phone call, every visit, all the times we had together within the same realm. My youthful memories have held on to your spirit.

Though I can’t remember too many specific details, I do recall looking forward to your visits. I’d ask “is Big Mama coming for Christmas?” of course knowing the answer, but nothing was more joyous than mom and dad replying to my eagerness with a deliciously, satisfying “yes!” I bet I use to talk your head off about anything and everything I wanted to be, particularly a cartoonist slash astronaut slash entertainer and you probably smiled with your wisdom lines and gave me all the attention my heart desired as I sat on your lap, you patted me on the back whilst being careful not to smoke your cigarettes around us because mother wouldn’t approve; I probably coyly yet so desperately showed you my favorite dance move, the moonwalk, one that I had rehearsed day in and day out and you nodded your head and danced to the beat of your own drum, encouraging me to keep going as Michael Jackson’s infectious music grooved us along in the background; and I imagine whenever you came by to see us, you spoiled my sister and me rotten. Mom most likely turned the other cheek for she probably didn’t really approve but she knew there was no stopping you. I imagine all these scenarios with you not only because I’ve been told them and seen some old videos, but I can feel them wanting to be with me, holding on so dearly. But like most innocent ideas and things, my disadvantage was being 7 instead of 17.

The brief moments we had that I remember with you while here together are what is most saddening about all of this.

I remember during your holiday visits I’d want you to dance and run around with my youthful, immortal, chip I felt everyone possessed. But mom and dad had told me one too many times that you were too tired, but I couldn’t listen, I couldn’t hear that because I couldn’t understand it. I remember you visiting a lot less and mom calling you a lot more, my intuition developed and I realized that something wasn’t right. I remember the first holiday you didn’t come stay with us and mom had to explain how sick you had become. She went to visit you, and I really wanted to too but dad wouldn’t let me see you, I was so angry with him. There was a shining moment in all this, the last time we spoke, I distinctly remember telling you I love you and you saying back “I love you too baby, I love you too.”

When we last spoke, I thought everything would be fine because that’s what everyone was telling me, the most volatile words you can tell a child is that everything, will be... fine. So in my innocent mind I translated fine to mean I’d see you in a few months’ time come December. That was what I thought until the day came, in mid-November, the one detailed memory I have of you even though we no longer shared the same space.

We sat on my sister’s bed, big sis, mom and I. My sister and me at the tender age of nine had a hard time looking at her, especially my sister, she knew better than me the magnitude of what was coming. Mom told us in as calm of a manner as she could, even though the night before she found refuge in the bathroom with dad by her side, that you were gone. “Gone, forever?” I asked, already knowing the answer. My mom with what strength she had left at that time said the inevitable. My sister cried, let it all out within the clasp of her hands, I didn’t know how to handle it, all I could do is nod and nod, taking it all in, unable to let anything out.

A rather odd thing happen that could only be explained in the mind of a child where I knew you had passed away, but you didn’t really go anywhere. And it’s true, you haven’t.

My mother talks about you all the time. At first it was difficult for her, it still is at times, but she has kept your memory alive. Almost all the meals she’s carved out today, from her world famous crunchy and succulent fried chicken, to her mouth watering and always irresistible jambalaya, mom puts your soul into her everything with the cooking you passed down. She tells us about your particular ways, how you were funny without really trying to be, much like she. We celebrate your birthday every year, mom makes it a point to tell a story, my favorite is probably how she almost burned down the house as a kid trying to heat up a hot dog for the first time with no adult supervision. You weren’t the yeller or punisher type, just shook your head and asked “oh child, when will you learn?” She also talks about you a lot with her big sis, reminiscing on their youth, debating on who got in more trouble or they have a laugh at some silly things you’d often said or do.

You left this world too soon, but I know they needed your presence there, somewhere anew. Even though I haven’t spoken about you in awhile, I feel you resting peacefully within my heart, making me smile. Thank you for all that you gave and continue to give. I miss you Grandmother, yet I know you are here, always.

With all my love and gratitude,

Your Granddaughter.

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Dearly Beloved

This was beautiful, khluva. It speaks great volumes of the love and affection you've held for your grandmother. And it's wonderfully woven together as a story. Although, it doesn't feel right to call it a story, considering how personal it is. Perhaps a shared memory would be more precise? Either way, thank you so much for sharing something this personal with us. It certainly moved me quite a bit. And I'm sorry for your loss, because your grandmother sounds like a great role model with great patience and wisdom. C: (I hope that was alright for me to say?) Otherwise, well done writing this prompt!

khluva010

Nice Ascot!
Dearly Beloved

This was beautiful, khluva. It speaks great volumes of the love and affection you've held for your grandmother. And it's wonderfully woven together as a story. Although, it doesn't feel right to call it a story, considering how personal it is. Perhaps a shared memory would be more precise? Either way, thank you so much for sharing something this personal with us. It certainly moved me quite a bit. And I'm sorry for your loss, because your grandmother sounds like a great role model with great patience and wisdom. C: (I hope that was alright for me to say?) Otherwise, well done writing this prompt!

Oh wow, thank you so much! It means a lot to me you have no idea! And it is definitely okay to say about her, she was an amazing woman. And thank you for providing such a prompt for myself and others to share! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back