• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

(Spoilers!) Why Live A Live is Fundamentally Significant to Square-Enix's Legacy.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
I'm serious about this.
A short while back I was going to post on one of the forums that if Square-Enix were to ever release a full-fledged Remake of Live A Live and Secret of Mana (not the typical PS4 one, I mean comb back and bring back the beta content/cut content for the Remake), in all of their glory, I would nearly donate my left arm to them to do so. (And this was RIGHT before the announcement.)
That's HOW important that Live A Live is to Square-Enix. I cannot stress this enough. I don't think that Final Fantasy VII can even exist without Live A Live, I think. To demonstrate my point, here is a chart.
Live A Live Connectivity.png
I know that recently a lot of people have been saying that Square-Enix has been practicing money-grabbing tactics, is woke, etc. And while I think that is true, they can't rub away the fact that a LOT of veteran directors/producers are still AT SQUARE-ENIX. Also, Takashi Tokita is STILL there, as a section 8 manager.

And I cannot stress how important that Tokita is to FFVII. He was a scenario writer in FFIV, and from his ideas about villains and hatred (Zemus), I'd say that influenced his perspective on Live A Live, which both in turn likely influenced FFVII.

Now, perhaps Chaos from Final Fantasy I was full of hatred (so I've heard), and this idea is not new at all. Well, there still remains how this idea is presented.

I also think that Secret of Mana's Thanatos has something to do with it, considering that I've heard that SOM was going to be FFIV at one point in time (I assume the plot was roughly the same?), but things were changed. In addition, I think Zemus's role (more so the "emperor" role to the "fiends") was actually a bit different from Thanatos's (FFI's Lich/fiend/general) who turned out into becoming the "Emperor figure", who is important to Kefka's and Sephiroth's roles.

My point is, most of you will blink at the Live A Live video game, yawn, and move on. My point is DON'T PASS UP ON IT.

They WILL BUTCHER the translation (I've already spotted one major contradiction, one minor- already.). THEY WILL LIKELY have cringe-worthy localization voice actors and improper directing for the game ("You will repay my loyalty, IN DEATH!" is already stupid, compared to what the Japanese trailer part is actually saying. The character's English actor (tbf) also reminds me of Plankton from Spongebob, instead of being Cecil Harvey's Japanese voice actor in the Japanese, a deliberate choice from the director.)

BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN that the game is NOT IMPORTANT to Square-Enix. Not to its history. Not to actual plot/writing.
To this day, Tokita is THE ONLY Square-Enix team member who had an interest/experience in the theater arts. I think he has a knack for writing and IS the best writer out of Square-Enix. Nojima will post about guinea pigs (and writing conventions) on his twitter account. Tokita will talk about food, politics, Coronavirus, and M. Night Shyamalan- recent films.

Back