• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers Through Music

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I was wondering what people here thought about spoilers through music. In BbS, for instance, Vanitas' theme contains an obvious portion of Sora's theme, hinting that the two are related (via sharing the same face, actually). I personally thought it was pretty cool that Shimomura did something like that, but I think stuff like that should only appear after the secret is revealed. Seriously, that's a huge spoiler, and any person who pays attention to the music would notice it. Stuff like that, while cool in retrospect, could really ruin a story. Especially when it's totally obvious, like Sora's theme making up about a quarter of Vanitas' theme.

What are your thoughts? Here're the themes, if you never noticed it before:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Meh. Sora and Vanitas sharing the same voice-actor is more of a giveaway.
But, yeah, the Vanitas theme is one of my favorites.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
the begining of vanitas theme scares me and i like it its so thrilling very good

Beyer

Yeah, kinda sucks that it could happen but anyone who is paying so much notice to the small things is just asking to be spoiled...
Personally I would have been like ZOMG I AM SO SMART I FIGURED IT OUT instead of FECKING MUSIC SPOILED ME.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I never noticed the connection between the 2 songs until seeing Vanitas's face. And even then, it took me a while to actually hear it. To be honest, it's not that obvious as you think it is. What IS obvious is ENG Vanitas being voiced by Sora (seriously, did the studio just tell HJO "Just sound like an evil Sora!" or what?) I mean, HJO could've atleast TRIED not to sound like Sora. But he sounds EXACTLY LIKE HIM. No difference whatsoever. And that's a major spoiler too, isn't it?

Either way, yes the songs have hints of Vanitas's identity... but to be honest, you wouldn't really listen to it that closely or even notice until after knowing his face.

Allister Rose

French Lover
I was wondering what people here thought about spoilers through music. In BbS, for instance, Vanitas' theme contains an obvious portion of Sora's theme, hinting that the two are related (via sharing the same face, actually). I personally thought it was pretty cool that Shimomura did something like that, but I think stuff like that should only appear after the secret is revealed. Seriously, that's a huge spoiler, and any person who pays attention to the music would notice it. Stuff like that, while cool in retrospect, could really ruin a story. Especially when it's totally obvious, like Sora's theme making up about a quarter of Vanitas' theme.

What are your thoughts? Here're the themes, if you never noticed it before:
Spoiler Spoiler Show
yeah it was a spoiler though shimomura didn't compose the vanitas themes

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
yeah it was a spoiler though shimomura didn't compose the vanitas themes

Iirc, Takeharu Ishimoto composed the Vanitas themes :3

I remember immediately noticing Roxas' theme in Ven's theme, but it took me a while to notice Sora's. Vanitas' though, was much more obvious, but maybe that's just because I knew what I was looking for when I was listening to it.

It is interesting how they hint at something with the themes in KH. Honestly, I think to someone who's playing the game, whether or not they played the other titles, they'll be much more preoccupied with trying to defeat Vanitas and not die instead of trying to focus in on the music playing in the background.

Allister Rose

French Lover
Iirc, Takeharu Ishimoto composed the Vanitas themes :3

I remember immediately noticing Roxas' theme in Ven's theme, but it took me a while to notice Sora's. Vanitas' though, was much more obvious, but maybe that's just because I knew what I was looking for when I was listening to it.

It is interesting how they hint at something with the themes in KH. Honestly, I think to someone who's playing the game, whether or not they played the other titles, they'll be much more preoccupied with trying to defeat Vanitas and not die instead of trying to focus in on the music playing in the background.
honestly, i noticed some of sora's theme in ven's just like roxas's was in ven's aswell...i immediately knew that was ven's theme when the japanese trailer aired.

impart

Climb The Sky
ahhh I really hate Sora's theme

i think that yeah, it could spoil it but not in a very specific way
id just be like whaaa? and assume that the two had some sort of strong relation or something.

impart

Climb The Sky
meh I just never liked it, compared to the others. its my least favorite, its too upbeat for me

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
I never noticed the connection between the 2 songs until seeing Vanitas's face. And even then, it took me a while to actually hear it. To be honest, it's not that obvious as you think it is. What IS obvious is ENG Vanitas being voiced by Sora (seriously, did the studio just tell HJO "Just sound like an evil Sora!" or what?) I mean, HJO could've atleast TRIED not to sound like Sora. But he sounds EXACTLY LIKE HIM. No difference whatsoever. And that's a major spoiler too, isn't it?

Why would he want to disguise the way he talks?
Vanitas has Sora's face, it makes sense that he would have his voice too. :/

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D

Either way, yes the songs have hints of Vanitas's identity... but to be honest, you wouldn't really listen to it that closely or even notice until after knowing his face.
I think your one of the few people who think this.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I dunno, after talking to a few people, they all said they don't know who Vanitas' VA is. I'd say it's more obvious when you know what to look for in his voice.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I dunno, after talking to a few people, they all said they don't know who Vanitas' VA is. I'd say it's more obvious when you know what to look for in his voice.

If that was the case, I would hear Sora's Japanese voice in Vanitas's Japanese voice... I still don't. His Japanese voice honestly sounds like Japanese Riku to me. It doesn't sound a single thing like Japanese Riku. But with the English one... it sounds just like him. There's little to no difference at all. Heck one of my friends (he's impressively been avoiding spoilers all this time) told me "he sort of sounds like Sora in a way..." and I pretty much just said "Huh..." since I didn't want to spoil it.

But meh, that's just my opinion I guess. I honestly don't think the music is that much of a spoiler. His voice gives it away much more than his music does.

Loke13 said:
I think your one of the few people who think this.
Being one of the few is good, it makes you special.

Raz said:
Why would he want to disguise the way he talks?
Vanitas has Sora's face, it makes sense that he would have his voice too. :/

The Japanese version didn't have Sora's voice :/
Seriously, even without his mask the Japanese version of Vanitas STILL didn't sound like Sora at all, he sounded just like Riku's voice in Sora's face. Sort of like Billy Zane's voice in Riku's face in KH1. But the English version just gives it away... you'd think he'd atleast try to keep Vanitas's identity a secret.

Athel

Machinist
Actually, not only does Vanitas' theme contain Sora's theme, but it also contains Roxas' theme in it. Or Ventus' theme, depending on how you look at it. And honestly, I heard Vanitas' theme, and originally though that the bit of Sora's theme was put in there just to show contrast; after all, Ventus has Roxas' theme, and if the two were juxtaposed, which we pretty much knew they were, then Vanitas' having Sora's theme would make some sense.

Anyway, one of my more favorite little references is the themes of Xehanort; Ansem, Seeker of Darkness AKA Xehanort's Heartless, has the final boss music Destati. Xemnas AKA Xehanort's Nobody, has Darkness of the Unknown. If you listen closely, you can hear that they have a similar underlying beat, although Darkness of the Unknown is slightly sped up.
Now, the music against the Enigmatic Soldier, AKA Terra is Rage Awakened, which remixes the part of Terra's theme from Fate of the Unknown.
Combine Destati and Fate of the Unknown, Xehanort and Terra, and you have the final boss music of Birth by Sleep.

Pretty brilliant, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back