• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

*SPOILERS* The new death scene

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AR829038

Awards
So, there's been a lot of controversy in the community surrounding Master Xehanort's demise in KH3. Many people thought the way they tried to portray him in a sympathetic, pitying light was abrupt and inappropriate and didn't jive with everything we've seen of the character up until that point. Also, a lot of people were put off by Xehanort receiving any kind of fate that was not outright merciless destruction. I, for one, was an apologist for that scene, and even though the buildup for it was woefully inadequate, I believe that death scene was the most cinematic and meaningful in the series, and it resonated much more deeply. Despite that, there are many in the fandom who simply wanted Xehanort to go the way of Ansem in KH1 or Xemnas in KH2—blown the **** up. And I understand their perspective.
But, now that we have ReMIND, we've gotten a SECOND death scene for Xehanort (with all the Guardians destroying his Armored form with their combined key beams), one much more in line with what many of these disappointed members of the community wanted. And, I have to say, now that we have both, I'm even more secure in my opinions about the original death scene than before.
Now, that's not to say the new death for Xehanort was bad, but it very clearly lacked the kind of emotional or cinematic weight that the original death scene carried. And I believe that this may be evidence that the series has matured beyond a point where the old screaming-death explosion-fests of the PS2 era games feel adequate. Now, this is just my opinon, and I'm sure many people enjoyed Xehanort's new death more than his old one, but I'd like to hear just where everybody else stands on this, because I personally feel the new death proves by its comparative lacklusterness that Nomura's instincts were right in what kind of ending Xehanort should have gotten in the base game.

NOTE: this is NOT a defense of the base game's lack of buildup to his death scene, but rather a defense of the IDEA of a sympathetic/introspective death scene over a straight-up murder scene.

disney233

Awards
I like Xehanort's old death tbh. His death has nothing to do with sympathy. He's no mere Disney Villain goes out with a big NOOOOOOOOOO! Or whimpering out like a dog. Xehanort did what most Disney villains usually never does, he took the L. He admitted defeat, not this sympathetic BS. He admitted that he can't win this. Eraques, the dude who's done his apprentices DIRTY also admitted his mistakes. The two who's done everyone dirty simply passed the baton to the key bearers and died together.

The ending to Armored Xehanort was nice, I'll admit that. To me it kinda ties into how Ansem & Xemnas died in their respective games. But, personally...I just prefer the Xehanort's death in base KH3. It really seems like a fitting way for Xehanort to go and for Eraques to be at rest.

D

Deleted member 252753

I agree with everything you say. I liked how his original death scene highlighted Xehanort's humanity, because in the end he was a corrupted human, and so I don't think his death should be similar to that of Ansem or Xemnas. And even if it comes from nowhere narratively, I personally think Xehanort's speech about the world falling to ruin and the world needing a leader was brilliant.

In the new death scene, Armoured Xehanort doesn't really seem to have any personality at all, he's just something to be obliterated by a massive beam of light. In my headcanon, the Armoured Xehanort here is not exactly Xehanort, but his darkness personified, 'barely human' like the replicas who combine to form him. So for me the base game's version is his true death and the new one is more about the triumph of light over darkness than Xehanort himself

okhi12

Awards
I'm not sure what do you mean by 'new death'. He doesn't die in the new scene, he's just defeated. Xehanort is a portal that exists outside of space and time and the way I understood it, that battle takes place at the same time than the last armored Xehanort battle from the main game. I think the moment armored Xehanort is obliterated by the guardians of light is connected to the same moment his armor breaks after fighting Sora, he was in both places at the same time because of his portal powers. Then, Xehanort summons the X-Blade atop Scala's castle and Sora defeats him for good and Xehanort dies.
The 'new death' is not his death at all and it doesn't overwrite the old scene.

But I'm a little hazy about the ReMind scenes and I could be wrong.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I was under the impression that the Goatnort in ReMind was a fusion of the Xehanort Replicas...was that wrong? I never associated him with the real Xehanort, it was a armored clone.

With all that said I'm not sure which death I prefer. The first Xehanort death has more personality to it while the Goatnort death was more of a traditional Kingdom Hearts heroes taking down the villain defeat. Thing is I don't like old man Xehanort's new motivation in KH3 when his motivation in BBS and DDD was good enough. So while his original end wasn't badly written I still don't feel like it fit the character and he does all this right after killing Kairi, and we're suppose to see this guy as a would be leader? Even if he was proven wrong this just didn't fit Xehanort from BBS who did this out of curiosity and not to protect the light. For these reasons I lean more toward the second death.

Foxycian

Awards
I like Xehanort's old death tbh. His death has nothing to do with sympathy. He's no mere Disney Villain goes out with a big NOOOOOOOOOO! Or whimpering out like a dog. Xehanort did what most Disney villains usually never does, he took the L. He admitted defeat, not this sympathetic BS. He admitted that he can't win this. Eraques, the dude who's done his apprentices DIRTY also admitted his mistakes. The two who's done everyone dirty simply passed the baton to the key bearers and died together.

The ending to Armored Xehanort was nice, I'll admit that. To me it kinda ties into how Ansem & Xemnas died in their respective games. But, personally...I just prefer the Xehanort's death in base KH3. It really seems like a fitting way for Xehanort to go and for Eraques to be at rest.
Why do you call him a Disney villain🤔 disney May own kingdom hearts (even tho it’s SquareEnix+Disney game) but the characters are from square enix and look like final fantasy characters and if anything his a square Enix villain, Disney already has a villains of its own in this game.

AR829038

Awards
I'm not sure what do you mean by 'new death'. He doesn't die in the new scene, he's just defeated. Xehanort is a portal that exists outside of space and time and the way I understood it, that battle takes place at the same time than the last armored Xehanort battle from the main game. I think the moment armored Xehanort is obliterated by the guardians of light is connected to the same moment his armor breaks after fighting Sora, he was in both places at the same time because of his portal powers. Then, Xehanort summons the X-Blade atop Scala's castle and Sora defeats him for good and Xehanort dies.
The 'new death' is not his death at all and it doesn't overwrite the old scene.

But I'm a little hazy about the ReMind scenes and I could be wrong.
The way I understood it, the cutscenes interspliced with the final battle of ReMIND seem to indicate that the Armored Xehanort fight on the outside is happening concurrently with the final Master Xehanort fight in Scala, similar to how Vanitas was fighting Ventus inside their heart while simultaneously fighting Aqua and Mickey as Ventus-Vanitas in the real world. I'm not sure if the final Armored Xehanort is meant to actually be the old man (I mean, we can see his face through the armor), or if it's just the replicas. That whole segment was very unclear. But I'm inclined to believe it is the old man himself, fighting the Guardians in the real world while he fights Sora in the world of his memories.

drew0512

Awards
Why do you call him a Disney villain🤔 disney May own kingdom hearts (even tho it’s SquareEnix+Disney game) but the characters are from square enix and look like final fantasy characters and if anything his a square Enix villain, Disney already has a villains of its own in this game.
Because Xehanort is legally a Disney character. Everything you see in Kingdom Hearts that is not from Final Fantasy or The World Ends With You belongs to Disney.

Foxycian

Awards
Because Xehanort is legally a Disney character. Everything you see in Kingdom Hearts that is not from Final Fantasy or The World Ends With You belongs to Disney.
Just cause Disney own them doesn’t mean they are not square enix characters, Disney just wanted to be picky, they couldn’t agree on making kingdom hearts unless Square agrees on Disney Owning their characters.

D

Deleted member 252753

So while his original end wasn't badly written I still don't feel like it fit the character and he does all this right after killing Kairi, and we're suppose to see this guy as a would be leader?
For me it's obvious that he would be a terrible leader but that's what I like about the scene. In order to prevent the weak from polluting the world with their endless darkness he steeped himself in darkness, making him unfit to achieve his ultimate goal. I agree that it doesn't gel with his previous desire for light and darkness to be balanced though

Foxycian

Awards
For me it's obvious that he would be a terrible leader but that's what I like about the scene. In order to prevent the weak from polluting the world with their endless darkness he steeped himself in darkness, making him unfit to achieve his ultimate goal. I agree that it doesn't gel with his previous desire for light and darkness to be balanced though
He would make a better leader then Sora tbh, at least until we see Sora grows up and be more wise, Xehanort actions were wrong but still he felt the sacrifice of few is needed to save the majority.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
Sora has shown no want to be a leader. He seems pretty content to just live his life, and help people when in need but he's definitely not leader material.
He may don't want to be a leader himself, but I can see Nomura will made him one somehow. Too much royal symbolism with this boi.

Darkness Call

Xehanort actions were wrong but still he felt the sacrifice of few is needed to save the majority.

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with this statement. He sacrificed likely millions upon millions of live's for his end goal through the actions of Ansem destroying worlds, Terra-Xehanort as the apprentice creating emblem heartless and unleashing them all over the worlds, not to mention he was going to wipe out the whole order and turn everything back to nothing and recreate from the ground up.

He was going to sacrifice everyone to create a new world order, sure he would he would protect the new people of his world, the strong ones that is, anyways "everyone"I would hardly call a few.

Foxycian

Awards
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with this statement. He sacrificed likely millions upon millions of live's for his end goal through the actions of Ansem destroying worlds, Terra-Xehanort as the apprentice creating emblem heartless and unleashing them all over the worlds, not to mention he was going to wipe out the whole order and turn everything back to nothing and recreate from the ground up.

He was going to sacrifice everyone to create a new world order, sure he would he would protect the new people of his world, the strong ones that is, anyways "everyone"I would hardly call a few.
I totally forgot about what apprentice xehanort and Ansem seeker of darkness did, dang it nomura you and your retcon story xD, as for the second part of your comment I’m not quite sure, Xehanort wanted to bring peace his way even if it’s wrong (altho the world will probably headed towards ruins anyway and that’s why he tried any method to save it) but I don’t think he will separate the weak and strong ones he believes in balance, the new world he creates he will treat everyone equally.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Disney owns original characters. He's a Disney villain.

Darkness Call

I’m not quite sure, Xehanort wanted to bring peace his way even if it’s wrong (altho the world will probably headed towards ruins anyway and that’s why he tried any method to save it) but I don’t think he will separate the weak and strong ones he believes in balance, the new world he creates he will treat everyone equally.

The reason I believe he was acting selfishly and not for the people is because of what he said in REMIND
to the MoMs. He claimed his tour showed him that the weak are forgetting their place and trying to be strong which in his eyes is throwing off the natural order and create extra darkness. To me that means he had a twisted sense of justice and believed the weak have no right to be strong and if they do they become an evil thorn in the order.

So i could see him protecting his people yes, but only as long as they stay in line

Last edited:

SuperNova

Awards
He may don't want to be a leader himself, but I can see Nomura will made him one somehow. Too much royal symbolism with this boi.
Considering Nomura at this point cannot relate to Sora as his protagonist, I honestly expect he's gonna become something more important than what he currently is. Especially since Xehanort symbolically passed on his legacy to Sora..

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
While I understand the sentiments that Xehanort shouldn't have gotten such a peaceful death, if his actual self went the way of the Goat Armor that would have been incredibly anticlimactic for me.

Obliterated without the chance to get any final words would have been a terrible way for his story to end

Foxycian

Awards
Disney owns original characters. He's a Disney villain.
The only villains i consider a Disney villain are those animated Disney villain made by Disney themselves and not from square enix Disney also owns Star Wars and marvel but does that mean Disney made them? No they simply owned them, a Disney villain are cartoonish and basically the ones you usually see in kingdom hearts Disney worlds, square enix characters look like final fantasy characters, if simply being owned by Disney is what make you a Disney characters then a guess Yozora is Disney character and not square enix? He may be owned by Disney but that’s all about it, if anything KH characters are more closer to final fantasy characters.

Edit: I just don’t see them as a Disney characters, disney own them I’m aware but I’m talking about a Disney character that was made by Disney that belong to the line up of Disney villains, same with kairi she is not a Disney princess and doesn’t belong among the Disney princess lineup, the only character that feels like a mix of square and Disney is Sora.

Last edited:
Back