• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SPOILERS: How Are We Supposed To Feel About Yozora?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
We're supposed to be intrigued, confused, and curious about Yozora. That's the appeal of any newly introduced character. You're supposed to be curious about his backstory, relationships to other characters, and his motivations.

If people feel that way about Yozora, then Nomura did his job

SuperNova

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I for one do not hate Yozora, I am actually quite intrigued by his presence. Clearly he is gonna be a major asset and ally for Sora in the future. I doubt he will be replacing Sora as the MC though. Otherwise why would Nomura bother showing Sora at all after the KH3 ending?

AegisXIII

Awards
We have to be excited as I see yozora as the beginning of phase2, a more mature phase with less disney worlds and more square enix worlds. All the ideas of versus 13 that were thrown away when Nomura lost the project will be reused. That's 10 year of lore development that can finally get a chance to be brought back to life.

D

Deleted member 252753

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I got a similar impression to you from the boss fight. In the fight he steals your 'power', as he puts it, your items and besides that does a lot of teleporting around and summoning lasers, Gigas, disco balls etc., which generally make him seem like an underhanded trickster, though that's probably reading too much into the gameplay.

I also agree that he seems a bit too sombre for the series so I hope that the future games don't get too serious and dark for their own good

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
My personal headcannon is that Nomura still wants to make a video game centered on the Versus XIII material he came up with and is using KINGDOM HEARTS to generate the prospect of a demand of a "Versus spiritual successor", justifying the re-creation of Versus XIII under another brand (Verum Rex), thus utilizing KH as means to market a future project.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm guessing Nomura wants us to feel excited, curious and vindicated.

Im excited, curious but more worried instead.
Why are you worried?

I'm worried that Yozora may steal Sora/Riku/any other main character that we've come to know after all these years' shine. They're all finally saved and together, we should be getting more moments with them and more games playing as them. I'm OK with Yozora because he's just one character, but knowing Nomura's obsession/love of Versus XIII I just don't want what he already established in KH and sorely needs attention to be brushed aside for Yozora. Nomura had excuses before why he couldn't use all the characters -- basically because he wrote himself into a corner with them being trapped, locked away, forgotten etc. Now it's different, so I may not give Nomura a pass if he starts neglecting them in favour of Yozora or newer Versus XIII characters.

darknessofheart

Awards
I like Yozora simply because he seems like a good guy all things considered. Like Sora, he's clearly been through a lot and is acting under some type of loose guidance, probably from MoM.

Speaking of him, I view Yozora the same way as MoM. I actually think he's a good guy having to do some questionable stuff to stop a looming threat. I think, eventually, both Yozora and MoM will become allies of Sora.

How great would it be if MoM, Xigbar and Sora are all chilling out in future games? It would be a great evolution of Xigbar's character if it's revealed his role too was for a good cause and he becomes a protagonist. I mean the reports reveal he longs to be reunited with his comrades and that he saved Subject X from an experiment that would've ended her, so this idea does have some potential.

That's my hope anyway, I want them all to be good guys playing roles to stop a looming evil.

Last edited:

Ink Ribbon

Awards
I'm honestly intrigued by the whole Verum Rex concept. If we could have a series with a bit of a darker tone surrounding Yozora and his world, then I'm all for it. I can understand where people are hesitant about it though. But in addition to Yozora, we might have an opportunity to explore other characters like
Spoiler Spoiler Show
in the future.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I honestly am not interested in him or the Versus XIII leftovers. I'm not crazy about the Foretellers either, but they're probably more interesting than Yozora. Still, I don't really follow KH for its story anymore regardless, since I admittedly didn't care much for Xehanort either. I'd say I'm here more for the characters (and other things) than the story.

I sort of have a filter on with the narrative, I only enjoy it when it provides dramatic moments. That's probably why I didn't mind the time traveling introduced in 3D as much as others, because it made for some badass moments at the end of 3D and allowed us to bring all the past characters like Larxene, Marluxia, Saix, etc. back in 3. That's all that really mattered for me.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
As a gameplay freaque, I think my narrative interest in Yozora is overshadowed by how he's probably the best boss ever created for a Kingdom Hearts game. The way he moves is cool, the style and flair of his attacks is cool, his quotes are hilariously nonchalant, and his strength is communicated extremely well by the team-- Yozora is a top level video game protagonist who's throwing all of his shiny cool moves at you, and if you don't pay attention and learn, he's going to rightfully stomp on you.

In the scenes, he's just alright. He isn't too much of anything, and for now, I'm fine with it. It was ballsy to let him say the quote from KH1, the first line of dialogue from the entire franchise, but at the very least it establishes that Yozora is important and has been through as much as Sora.

In terms of foreshadowing and mechanics, our secret bosses have gotten better and better. Enigmatic Man was okay, Lingering Will was awesome, and Yozora is incredible.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
One interesting detail I like about Yozora is that
He is a Commander of his world
That alone gives us much to speculate about

D

Deleted member 246005

Why are you worried?

I'm worried that Yozora may steal Sora/Riku/any other main character that we've come to know after all these years' shine. They're all finally saved and together, we should be getting more moments with them and more games playing as them. I'm OK with Yozora because he's just one character, but knowing Nomura's obsession/love of Versus XIII I just don't want what he already established in KH and sorely needs attention to be brushed aside for Yozora. Nomura had excuses before why he couldn't use all the characters -- basically because he wrote himself into a corner with them being trapped, locked away, forgotten etc. Now it's different, so I may not give Nomura a pass if he starts neglecting them in favour of Yozora or newer Versus XIII characters.
I'm a fan of Noctis in XV and I'm not sure I want him back in Nomura's hands. Nomura probably feels vindicated because he can do a version of Versus 13 and I respect that. But I prefer the cast of XV than the cast of KH right now so I'm having mixed feelings over it.

Verum Rex worked more in a tongue-in-cheek way. Playing it straight I'm more groaning but im hoping that changes. Nomura needs to step up his design game.

I'm ok with Sora not being the lead anymore but i get what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrzKnight

I wouldn't really mind if they made Yozora the main protagonist of the upcoming saga, because I just want Sora to get his happy ending, then if the series ever gets politic-driven, Sora (and the other characters so far) wouldn't be involved

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Better yet, how does Nomura feel? I feel indifferent towards him, but I will say that I like that he looks like Sora and Riku's lovechild.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Better yet, how does Nomura feel? I feel indifferent towards him, but I will say that I like that he looks like Sora and Riku's lovechild.
How does Nomura feel? Maybe excited because Yozora's existence means he can tell the story of Versus that he missed out on with FFXV

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
How does Nomura feel? Maybe excited because Yozora's existence means he can tell the story of Versus that he missed out on with FFXV
Does anyone know how the Japanese fandom feel? I presume Nomura is more attentive to them in comparison with the rest of the global audience.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I have a theory that Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts were always supposed to merge in some way, shape or form. Back in the day, Nomura said he named Noctis as a direct opposite to Sora for a reason. Those two he considered to be his "sons". Then you have the numerous references of Versus XIII in KH3, and I don't think it's just out of spite for FFXV. I think it's possible that a lot of what we're seeing now he had planned or in the back of his mind since 2005-2006.

In Kingdom Hearts, it never really touches on what happens once your soul leaves your body (death). We know The Final World functions as a place of the "brink", and that "nothing lies beyond this place"... But y'know, Versus XIII's lore touched on death a lot, and they worshipped deities in that world. It's not impossible for KH's lore and what we know of vXIII's lore to merge, because you can still have a Heartless and Nobody exist AND have the whole Etro thing going on if someone actually dies.

Plus we really don't know if there's anything close to a God in Kingdom Hearts. (Well, besides Olympus.) You could say maybe Kingdom Hearts itself could be a sentient life form, but we really don't know anything about it. I think there's a lot of potential, and again, it makes me wonder if Nomura had this idea all along from since long ago.

Back