• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

[SPOILERS] Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts III

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SerDuncan

The point is, I think, that as far as we are aware, there is no reason for Seifer and his gang to NOT be in Twilight Town. It's not a question of "why" they're not there. Sure, Nomura could just have an NPC tell us that. But what is the creative decision to not include them? Since we don't have Radiant Garden, and don't have any other FF reps... what is the point of removing them from TT? I'm honestly confused, considering their relative importance to Roxas' story.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have something to do with the rights to use the characters. I could understand a lot of characters being absent, but the fact that there is not a single Final Fantasy character is suspect. They could have pulled a Dilan/Aeleus and have Leon and the gang stand in the background saying nothing.

SerDuncan

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have something to do with the rights to use the characters. I could understand a lot of characters being absent, but the fact that there is not a single Final Fantasy character is suspect. They could have pulled a Dilan/Aeleus and have Leon and the gang stand in the background saying nothing.

That's certainly true, but we have at least some evidence that it's not a rights dispute. The fact that the Moogles, Catuars, etc. appear in the game would suggest otherwise. And let's not forget that Auron, Cloud and Zack were all fully modeled and referenced in Olympus early in the game. I feel like it must be a creative decision. Perhaps it's part of Nomura being salty about Versus XIII?

mriku90

Awards

I feel like this was Nomura's choice not Disney's to make. Nomura decided not to go to RG sans cutscenes which are the home of the FF characters.

This is on Nomura not Disney for not including FF in KH3.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
That's certainly true, but we have at least some evidence that it's not a rights dispute. The fact that the Moogles, Catuars, etc. appear in the game would suggest otherwise. And let's not forget that Auron, Cloud and Zack were all fully modeled and referenced in Olympus early in the game. I feel like it must be a creative decision. Perhaps it's part of Nomura being salty about Versus XIII?

I actually was going to include Nomura being salty about the whole Versus XIII fiasco. Which is probably why he seems to be leaning more towards "fake" Final Fantasy-esque characters (Verum Rex) that will be under the Disney ownership and safe from another fiasco and The World Ends With You, rather than Final Fantasy characters.

@mriku: When I said rights issue, I didn't mean that Disney had anything to do with the rights or that Disney influenced it in any way. I meant that Square wouldn't give Nomura the rights to use Final Fantasy characters.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree, mriku. Nomura is the one to blame for the decision, not Disney.

The only thing I would lay at Disney's doorstep with regards to KH3 is
Spoiler Spoiler Show
And even then I'm not sure if Disney should be blamed, or John Lasseter specifically. Before Lasseter was in power at Disney, Disney mostly left KH alone, but he wanted to be super-involved. The films he was a part of creating all lacked bosses that were based on the film villains (Tangled, Frozen, Toy Story, Monsters, Inc., BH6), other than Marshmallow and Dark Baymax. Hercules and PotC both had a load of Disney bosses in comparison. Maybe the problem won't be as bad with the next KH game now that Lasseter's been removed.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I already had thought about this possibility but now that I've been playing the game I'm more sure than ever, that one of the main reasons why there aren't FF characters in KH3 (excluding Moogles) is because of Nomura's salt about FF15.

There's absolutely no reason why Seifer's gang couldn't be NPCs in Twilight Town or why Cid and the others can't interact with Sora through the Gummiphone.

Olympus is my favourite KH3 Disney World so far, but it sure was strange to not meet a FF character in that World for the first time.

As for Verum Rex and Yozora stuff I thought that would be just a thing in the beginning of Toy Box, but Rex keeps shoving it down our throats during the rest of Toy Box storyline.

Last edited:

mriku90

Awards
I mean Verum Rex is literally Disney owned not!FF characters that SE cannot touch.

mriku90

Awards
I don’t know what makes you think Verum Rex is Disney owned when ithe SE logo is slapped all over it lol

Because they're an original creation inside the Kingdom Hearts game which by default means it's Disney property. I wouldn't pay much mind to the SE logo being on the cover of the game when it's inside the Kingdom Hearts franchise. It's Disney owned Nomura created content that SE cannot touch.

Yozura, Not!Stella, Not!Ignis, and Not!Ardyn are all Disney owned properties inside Kingdom Hearts created by Nomura. That's how Nomura probably wants it cause they can't turn KH4 into the next FF.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I just remembered Nomura gave a hard no in regards to TWEWY characters being in KH3. Why didnt he do the same with the Final Fantasy characters outside of references and Easter eggs?

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I just remembered Nomura gave a hard no in regards to TWEWY characters being in KH3. Why didnt he do the same with the Final Fantasy characters outside of references and Easter eggs?

Like he said in interviews, it's smarter to give more screentime to the original characters. Truth be told, I can see why it was so difficuilt to integrate Final Fantasy characters.

With that being said, they could have added a Final Fantasy character for Olympus. Lightning would have been perfect.

SerDuncan

Like he said in interviews, it's smarter to give more screentime to the original characters. Truth be told, I can see why it was so difficuilt to integrate Final Fantasy characters.

With that being said, they could have added a Final Fantasy character for Olympus. Lightning would have been perfect.

Ah, but that's the thing for me! I feel like... instead of the FF characters disappearing to give the Original characters the spotlight, they went away for the Disney Worlds to get the spotlight. Honestly, I think that the original characters were poorly mishandled in this game. Which just makes me all the more sad that we didn't get anybody from FF.

Even tho I'm not a huge fan of XIII, Lightning really would be cool. Personally, I think my favorite choice would be to see all four of the FFXV crew in Kh3. Prompto could have like a "rate my photo" thing, Ignis could occasionally stop by the Bistro, Noctis could be involved in a world somewhere, or maybe teach Sora how to do the warping, and then Gladio could... uh... be selling Cup Noodles... or something?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Several of the original characters were definitely way underused despite the FF cameos getting shafted, which also has to do with nearly everything important crammed into the last quarter of the game again.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

SerDuncan

Several of the original characters were definitely way underused despite the FF cameos getting shafted, which also has to do with nearly everything important crammed into the last quarter of the game again.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I wholeheartedly agree. Do you think it really came down to Nomura's saltiness over Versus XIII? Or do you think he was tired of them? The thing that really confuses me was this quote from an interview in June 2018. Sorry, I'm really bad at linking these things! Newbie here!

[FONT=&quot]"I can't disclose too much about the Final Fantasy characters or whether or not they'll be in Kingdom Hearts 3, because I can only speak to what's been shown. But the reason you haven't been shown any Final Fantasy characters is that there are so many original characters that need to resolve their own problems and issues. And because their issues and problems are very difficult, there just hasn't been that much space to fit Final Fantasy characters so far.

When you look back on the first Kingdom Hearts, Sora was still a new character, so we kind of had the Final Fantasy characters as supporting characters. But now that it's been 15 years, the original characters are more polished than they were before, so I don't think think they need the Final Fantasy characters help as much as they did before. [...] Also, when we first released Kingdom Hearts, there weren't that many other titles that brought together the Final Fantasy characters. I actually think that Kingdom Hearts may have been the first to do that.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]But nowadays, there are an abundance of titles that do that, so I don't see the value of having that kind of feature in the game anymore. But that doesn't mean that I'm saying that there won't be any Final Fantasy characters. Please look forward to future information."

[/FONT]

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I wholeheartedly agree. Do you think it really came down to Nomura's saltiness over Versus XIII? Or do you think he was tired of them? The thing that really confuses me was this quote from an interview in June 2018. Sorry, I'm really bad at linking these things! Newbie here!

"I can't disclose too much about the Final Fantasy characters or whether or not they'll be in Kingdom Hearts 3, because I can only speak to what's been shown. But the reason you haven't been shown any Final Fantasy characters is that there are so many original characters that need to resolve their own problems and issues. And because their issues and problems are very difficult, there just hasn't been that much space to fit Final Fantasy characters so far.

When you look back on the first Kingdom Hearts, Sora was still a new character, so we kind of had the Final Fantasy characters as supporting characters. But now that it's been 15 years, the original characters are more polished than they were before, so I don't think think they need the Final Fantasy characters help as much as they did before. [...] Also, when we first released Kingdom Hearts, there weren't that many other titles that brought together the Final Fantasy characters. I actually think that Kingdom Hearts may have been the first to do that.

But nowadays, there are an abundance of titles that do that, so I don't see the value of having that kind of feature in the game anymore. But that doesn't mean that I'm saying that there won't be any Final Fantasy characters. Please look forward to future information."

I can't look into Nomura's head obviously, although I do admit the whole "Verum Rex" thingy and "Yozora" is weird and not exactly something I feel that was needed to be included.

When quoting something out of interviews it is best to wrap them in quote tags with the source of the interview being in the header, as in
Famitsu said:
Here is what Nomura said.

to have it stand out.
To use them use
Header text here said:
and [/quote ] but without the last space given in this example here.

As I already stated on my previous post, I would actually believe the first part of this statement by Nomura if he had actually followed through with resolving several original character's problems and issues in an organic, believable way rather than just checking off a list with some single scenes throughout the finale of the game.

As for the second part, objectively spoken he is certainly right that there are dozens of FF crossovers nowadays and the KH series is definitely standing on its own now with a rather big cast of its own characters.
So phasing out the FF cameos would certainly make some sense when going into the future of KH, but it should have been a wrapped up send off instead of just cutting them out entirely out of nowhere.

Back