• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SPOILERS FF7 Remake was Actually Good but...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Foxycian

Awards
the ending felt little underwhelming, I played the prequel crisis core so I know what’s going on but most new players will probably be lost and wonder what’s going on at the end

I understand the back lash that this game receives right now but why some hate on the whole game? The only (biggest) problem of this game was the ending and Nomura bs making everything about destiny, as for the game itself it was good from chapter 1 till 17, only the ending felt underwhelming (then again the game wasn’t even over it’s just part 1) cause Nomura being Nomura making things complicated, I sure hope Nomura learned his lesson from all this back lash and doesn’t make random things in part 2, it’s fine to add new stuff but don’t make the game complicated, the complicated stuff may work for kingdom hearts but it certainly doesn’t work for final fantasy straight forward story.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Nomura really needs to stop over complicate everything, but at point it's like talking with a wall.
However he's not the writer or even the only director of FF7 Remake, so it's not fair to blame everything we don't like on him.

I never played the original FF7/Crisis Core so the ending changes didn't bother me as much as it did to the old fans.
I'm honestly glad they had the balls to not do a 1:1 remake, but that doesn't mean I'm not expecting something great.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I understand not liking the ending, but these new elements are not in any way unusual for the FF series. We’re talking about a series that featured time travel, alternate dimensions, dream worlds, and villains with multiple versions of themselves long before KH ever did. The Final Fantasy series has never been straight forward.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I understand not liking the ending, but these new elements are not in any way unusual for the FF series. We’re talking about a series that featured time travel, alternate dimensions, dream worlds, and villains with multiple versions of themselves long before KH ever did. The Final Fantasy series has never been straight forward.
Heck the very first title had time travel and a loop that had to be broken, and the second had an emperor that took over literal hell. It's been like this since the very start.

Foxycian

Awards
Heck the very first title had time travel and a loop that had to be broken, and the second had an emperor that took over literal hell. It's been like this since the very start.
No not really guys, ff7 story wasn’t this confusing the confusing part is Nomura, the whole game was straightforward until you reach the confusing part which is the ending, I already know what’s going on but new players certainly don’t, also about the time travel you mentioned, kh time travel is messy and confusing sometimes. From what I remember ff story was never confusing at least, the only ff game that feel is complicated is ffxiii-2 I loved this game but was not easy to understand felt like kh game.

OneDandelion

Awards
Just beat it. I was very forgiving throughout my playthrough of all the things i didnt like... until i hit the ending. Now i realize the game was just garbage. For hardcore fans of FF7 the redeeming aspects of the game are revisualizing midgar and remixes of the FF7 OST, but that can only take you so far. And while i like the combat system there were so many deficiencies involving it that i cant call it good either.

Square Enix seriously needs to learn a lesson in subtlety when it comes to storytelling. A little restraint would have gone a LONG way.

But maybe the biggest problem is that the tone of this game doesnt come close to matching the original. There is no blood at all and its often implied that cloud isnt actually killing anyone. The tone of sector 7 and 5 are not nearly as dark and dangerous as its predecessor either.

It ends up being more like a "reimagining" than a "remake" and its very unfortunate for me because my hopes were seriously misplaced.

Overall if im comparing it to the original im giving it a 5/10. If its anyones first time experiencing ff7 then it might be more like 8/10 - there is a lot to like but the imagery and intensity of the original has unfortunately been completely lost.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Mirby

Awards
Website
twitch.tv
How is it implied that Cloud isn't killing anyone? They literally return to the lifestream in their death animations using the same "dissolving into the lifestream" effect that we've seen as far back as Advent Children when Kadaj dies.

Also
Spoiler Spoiler Show

OneDandelion

Awards
How is it implied that Cloud isn't killing anyone? They literally return to the lifestream in their death animations using the same "dissolving into the lifestream" effect that we've seen as far back as Advent Children when Kadaj dies.

This is specifically a tone issue for me. Obviously Cloud is killing people in this game it would be absurd to suggest he's not. The problem I have with it is the game almost seems to go out of its way to never acknowledge it in the dialogue, and I know this because I was listening for it the whole time because I found it odd. Instead we are given many cutscenes where cloud or others leave their enemies unconscious and Tifa/Aerith consistently go out of their way to humanize the soldiers/employees of shinra. On top of that - because all of your enemies "dissolve into the lifestream" like disney characters the brutality of death is never really acknowledged. All are in complete contrast to the tone of the original game imo.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
No not really guys, ff7 story wasn’t this confusing the confusing part is Nomura, the whole game was straightforward until you reach the confusing part which is the ending, I already know what’s going on but new players certainly don’t, also about the time travel you mentioned, kh time travel is messy and confusing sometimes. From what I remember ff story was never confusing at least, the only ff game that feel is complicated is ffxiii-2 I loved this game but was not easy to understand felt like kh game.

I think it is important to remember you aren’t supposed to understand exactly what happened in the end yet. It’s a mystery set up to be explored in future titles that they want us to speculate on.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Also, Nomura didn’t write the game. While I’m not going to pretend he didn’t have some impact on the story, Nojima is the one credited as the writer. So the Nomura scapegoat can’t really be used here like in KH.

OneDandelion

Awards
Also, Nomura didn’t write the game. While I’m not going to pretend he didn’t have some impact on the story, Nojima is the one credited as the writer. So the Nomura scapegoat can’t really be used here like in KH.
Nomura is the game director. You would blame the captain of a ship if it was traveling in the wrong direction wouldn't you? Maybe it's not his fault, but all of the games he's been associated with lately has been having the exact same problems so either its him or someone above him is forcing him into shitty writing decisions.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Nomura is the game director. You would blame the captain of a ship if it was traveling in the wrong direction wouldn't you? Maybe it's not his fault, but all of the games he's been associated with lately has been having the exact same problems so either its him or someone above him is forcing him into shitty writing decisions.

Not if there are other people responsible for making sure the ship is on course. There are many people on this project making creative decisions besides Nomura.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

OneDandelion

Awards
They can’t afford to blindly risk this game’s success by making bold changes unless they know they are going to pay off in the end.

Personally, I’ve been wanting new and original story content in the FFVII universe that doesn’t have to fit exactly with the Compilation since Crisis Core and I’m excited to finally get that while simultaneously reliving the original story. The whole Whispers thing was all just a meta way for that to be possible. I honestly don’t imagine we’ll be seeing multiverses or time travel at all. It’s simply an altered history due to the destiny’s course being broken. From here on, it will likely remain as “grounded” as one can say the original is.
For the first 35 hours of the game I wanted to agree with you. And I was excited for the new content of FF7 when I got this game. Midgar is one of my favorite fictional cities and if they were stretching the 10 hour segment of midgar into a full 40 hour game I honestly assumed when I bought it that at the very least midgar would be explorable to a degree like FF13 was.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
For the first 35 hours of the game I wanted to agree with you. And I was excited for the new content of FF7 when I got this game. Midgar is one of my favorite fictional cities and if they were stretching the 10 hour segment of midgar into a full 40 hour game I honestly assumed when I bought it that at the very least midgar would be explorable to a degree like FF13 was.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Mirby

Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Spoiler Spoiler Show

OneDandelion

Awards
What did they “gut” from the Shinra building beyond the brief section where you have to sneak past the guards? All the other floors are in tact, just expanded upon. The floor with the Midgar model is now a museum, which had some welcome world building. Mayor Domino’s library floor is still there and now an optional interaction with him has been expanded on and explains why it was relatively easy for them to make their way through the building. The employee R&R and the meeting room floors are still there, as well as Hojo’s two floor lab and the executive suite. Seems like everything is there and has simply been expanded upon. Quite the opposite of being gutted.

The gameplay route of the building is designed completely differently.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
The gameplay route of the building is designed completely differently.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Mirby

Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Spoiler Spoiler Show

OneDandelion

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I also really hope SE straight up ignores the people demanding an open world for the next game.
wow, i am actually shocked that anyone has this opinion.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Mirby

Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I think the main issue here is that you hold such a passion for the original game due to your history with it and thus had such high expectations for this that when it failed to meet your expectations with how they built it that you're having trouble understanding why anyone else wasn't as let down as you were.

And that's perfectly fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But when you get hung up on thinking that nobody should defend any of the decisions made in the game because aren't too happy with them, it becomes less about sharing your opinion and more veering towards thinking that everyone should share your opinion.

That's just my view on this. Don't get me wrong, there were issues I had with the game but they were overall minor (I honestly am growing to enjoy Hard Mode but the complete inability to restore MP aside from draining a very small amount via one materia while in the middle of a chapter is a bit frustrating, especially in longer chapters), but I did enjoy what they did with the game.

I think one key thing to think about when you think of this game is to think of it as its completely own storyline and quest, and while it is a retelling of sorts of FF7 it is not FF7 and it helps to not compare it to FF7.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

OneDandelion

Awards
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you guys like it so much. I generally don't bring up my negative feelings unless someones asking for them, I don't talk with my friends about all my critiques because they all generally loved it and I have no problem with that; but as a game, and as a remake, it objectively lacked in all of the things people generally expect from jrpgs. I've brought it up before, but if it wasn't FF7 and if it didn't have the history and fanbase that it already had, then imo people would not be happy with this game at all. It makes all of the mistakes that FF13 made and more, but isn't being crucified for them.

And I've beaten FF13 twice lol, I actually liked that game and could forgive a lot of the criticisms of it. But I have a really hard time finding the redeeming qualities of FF7r graphics and voice acting aside.

Back