• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spinoff Game or Kingdom Hearts 4?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I have this weird feeling that Square is okay with giving Kingdom Hearts shitty, low effort, unrefined gameplay if it isn't a main numbered title. Like, sure, enemies won't stagger, and we have a whip attack that throws bombs in all directions, killing everything instantly, and we have to walk on the ceiling in some worlds, but at least it isn't KINGDOM HEARTS 4!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
1. Do you want a spinoff game next or KH4?

Kingdom Hearts 4. There's been enough side games/spin offs to last a life time. It's doing a disservice to fans to keep making them switch platforms or mobile devices to have access to the game and lore. Especially after how they handled it in Kingdom Hearts 3. (I still love the game, but not playing the mobile game proved to be a story problem.) Otherwise, I'd like to see them ditch the roman numeral in future Kingdom Hearts titles. I feel like this is the chance for Nomura to start afresh for the next saga.

2. What do you think will actually happen, spinoff or KH4?

Optimistically, I'd say KH4. Nomura and his team should feel less pressured now to make spin offs when almost everything has been tied up neatly in KH3. And they dropped enough foreshadowing for the next saga to work with. I don't see the point of a spin off unless it's to make more money. OR to cave into fans for wanting to play their favorite characters again.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
When I think about it it still astounds me how so much lore is trapped behind khx/ux. Ridiculous.
How is it trapped? They made Back Cover to show you the significant events from Chi, and they'll probably do the same with UX.

Well handhelds are kinda dead so unless you think the Switch isn't a console you're pretty much set my man
^^^^^^

There literally aren't enough consoles to have significant console spread like before, lol.

D

Deleted member 246005

Well Lea/Isa were given a cool plot tease that could be its own game so if they get a game and its a spinoff....I'll be cool with it over a potential kh4.

I prefer Lea to Sora anyway.

Wallflower3582

Honestly, with the way KH3 ended, I can't imagine starting out the next saga with a spin-off. I feel like we need to start out with the original cast of characters before jumping around. Again though, I don't know if there's really such a thing as a spin-off in KH, it's more like Marvel, where the numbered titles = Avengers and the spin-offs = everything else. You can't really understand them without watching them all.

The only justifiable reason I can see for doing another spin-off before KH4 is to reboot KHX and UX to bring it to the forefront. It's too important to be left behind on a phone, and as they've remade everything else in the series into HD, I don't see why they would expect casual players to have to study up on the phone game to understand the newer stuff. They should treat it like Re:CoM.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
No more Spinoffs i want Kingdom Hearts 4

Sure, because that's how you make the most money and implement the best creative opportunities out of Kingdom Hearts.

These "spin-offs", remasters and compilations are the reason why Kingdom Hearts III has been as successful as it is. Since 2007, we have had a Kingdom Hearts release of some kind. With each new entry, a newcomer becomes a fan from one of the entries, and the tapestry of this franchise expands.

So yeah, these side-games are not going away. And to be frank, the initial problem with them was the spread of systems it was targeting. Japan's preference for portable gaming was why Days and Birth by Sleep were not console titles, they were quality titles in their own right. Also, Disney has a landfill of more niche properties that can be used for a side-game Kingdom Hearts entry.

From this point on, think of the numbered Kingdom Hearts titles like The Avengers, a huge fanfare showcasing the blockbuster Disney properties. At least, that's what I think.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
The only justifiable reason I can see for doing another spin-off before KH4 is to reboot KHX and UX to bring it to the forefront. It's too important to be left behind on a phone, and as they've remade everything else in the series into HD, I don't see why they would expect casual players to have to study up on the phone game to understand the newer stuff. They should treat it like Re:CoM.

^ I would welcome this as a spin off only because it could bridge the gap for the next saga. However, I have a hard time seeing it happen. Mostly because they covered some of it as a movie in 2.8. And I don't think they want to move the game to another platform when they're getting money out of the fans as a mobile game right now. And what we've been teased with seems to be what the next saga will be built upon story wise. I guess it really comes down to what Nomura, Disney, and his team wish to do.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Honestly, with the way KH3 ended, I can't imagine starting out the next saga with a spin-off. I feel like we need to start out with the original cast of characters before jumping around. Again though, I don't know if there's really such a thing as a spin-off in KH, it's more like Marvel, where the numbered titles = Avengers and the spin-offs = everything else. You can't really understand them without watching them all.

Why would they reboot it when Back Cover is X? They'll probably just do the same thing with UX so console exclusive gamers aren't left out.

Wallflower3582

Why would they reboot it when Back Cover is X? They'll probably just do the same thing with UX so console exclusive gamers aren't left out.

But Back Cover isn't X. It just expands upon it. It doesn't show the Keyblade War, or the Darklings, or the new Union Leaders, or Dark Chirithy. We don't see Luxu and Ava's confrontation, or hear Gula read the contents of the missing page to the player. It doesn't show how Maleficent is in the epilogue of X. And honestly, I'm already disappointed that there isn't even a way to play X at all any more, forcing us to watch YouTube videos and read wiki pages to understand all this. It really needs to be revamped. Union Cross is everything that comes after X, and I expect them to continue milking that as long as possible, but there's a lot of story that came before it.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Well handhelds are kinda dead so unless you think the Switch isn't a console you're pretty much set my man
PlayStation is KH's main console though. I didn't say anything about handhelds, although I wouldn't want a side game on another PS handheld either.

Well Lea/Isa were given a cool plot tease that could be its own game so if they get a game and its a spinoff....I'll be cool with it over a potential kh4.
If there has to be another side game, I'd be down for a Lea-Isa game or another dual scenario Sora-Riku game like CoM and 3D.

j_kazmi

We’ve had way too many smaller titles over the last few years so I just want to get straight to KH4.

The next KH will be the start of a new saga so it would be a terrible idea to start with a spin off in my view.

Start strong with KH4 than have one minor title and then get to KH5, we don’t need to have so many minor titles.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'd like a side game focusing on Kairi either before or after KH4. Preferably before since there's a good setup for one withSora and possibly Riku out of commission.

Wallflower3582

We’ve had way too many smaller titles over the last few years so I just want to get straight to KH4.

The next KH will be the start of a new saga so it would be a terrible idea to start with a spin off in my view.

Start strong with KH4 than have one minor title and then get to KH5, we don’t need to have so many minor titles.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I agree wholeheartedly.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Story content DLC for KH3 first and then KH4.

I also would like them to be considerate this time around and not announce the next numbered title so many years before coming out. If they don't have much to show, don't announce it so soon.

The amount of time fans have waited for games like FF Versus 13/ FF15, KH3 and FF7 Remake is ridiculous. Square really needs to improve on that.

j_kazmi

I agree wholeheartedly.
Spoiler Spoiler Show

I agree a Yazora DLC doesn’t seem likely, but the fact that the secret ending took place in the Yazora world makes me think that it could be a DLC.

Because I can’t imagine Yazora being a big part of a future game because Yazora is basically a world within a Disney world.

jahob000

Meh. I'd always planned on KH3 being my last Kingdom Hearts games. Kingdom Hearts 3 was so well anticipated for so long that it felt like an event. Like a big hollywood blockbuster. The next part in the series to me will feel like a direct to VHS type of thing lol. They hype is long gone except for hard core fans.

D

Deleted member 246005

I would like to see a Ven-centered remake for the Union era.

I wanted a Xion-centered spinoff with her exploring the data realm with Ansem the Wise and his apprentices. I wanted Xion to have a desire to become a scientist so we get to see them mentor her. It's a bit of a redemption arc for Ansem and his students as they get to shape the next generation to be better than them.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
My body is ready for KINGDOM HEARTS IV on late 2021, mid 2022. Hopefully it can be released on both PS4 and PS5.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I'm expecting that the next KH game wether it's a bridge game or Kingdom Hearts 4 could be announced either by this year at Tokyo Game Show 2018 or next year with the new KH game officially coming out in 2021 or 2022 at the latest, the latter especially as 2022 is the 20th anniversary of the first game and the KH franchise.

I do hope we don't wait another 5-7 for the next KH game to come out just like what happened when II.8 came out 5 years later after DDD (yes we had the HD Remixes from 2013-14 but not any new games). Please let it be another 2-3 years for the next new KH games muh like how we waited 2 years for Chain of Memories after the first game and when DDD came out 2 years after BBS was released, but knowing Square Enix and their management along with Nomura's focus on other projects (FFVII remake) I doubt that will happen. :/

silentmusic16

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I almost would rather get another spin-off first. Presumably less of a wait, and I've been a big fan of all, or almost all, of the spin-offs so far. Give me a Lea-Isa DDD, or a Namine/Kairi centered game. Something. Anything. Especially if it gives a bit more of a taste at whatever the concept/setting for the next saga will be.

Not that I don't want 4 - I just fear waiting another decade plus.

Back