• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spinoff Game or Kingdom Hearts 4?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

GrandWebster

Grandwebster: Sora and Riku, it looks like. Pretty obvious.

So Sora is just going to save himself. You could've just said that.

Also Is it just Shibuya, I don't know where Sora and Riku can go? And how is Disney going to play a role in this?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
History aside, this is the end of a Saga. Nobody knew this until Nomura addressed it awhile ago when take that account, the plot points we got in 3 Is most of that going to be addressed in this midquel "spin-off"?

I'm not 100% on what you're trying to say here so I'll just answer to the best of my abilities. I'm not sure what this being the end of a saga has to do with the decision to name titles in the future. Kingdom Hearts will be remaining Sora's story, for the time being.

I'm not claiming the next title will be a midquel or a numbered title, I don't care which it is because it doesn't matter. That's the point. The name of the game has never mattered to the relevance the title has to the overall story. But if you're asking if the loose plot threads in KH3 will be addressed in whatever the next title is, I'm sure some of them will. Knowing Nomura there will not be full answers immediately regardless.

Will the Disney worlds take back seat and let the SE properties takeover for this part, for "reasons", what is it going to be about, Sora's going through Shibuya?
Did you assume the Disney worlds would be taking a backseat for KH2 with the KH1 secret ending, "Another Side, Another Story"? Or how about for BBS with the KH2 secret ending, "The Gathering"? This is no different.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
They should just drop numbered titles altogether then this whole discussion would be superfluous and no game could be "discarded"/ignored anymore just because it doesn't have a numeral.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I wouldn't mind spinoffs if they're on the PS4 a la 0.2. They don't even need to be released on a disc, they can be digital only. Spinoffs for characters like Terra/Aqua/Ven, Axel/Roxas/Xion, Namine/Riku/Kairi... basically anyone that isn't Sora accompanied by Donald/Goofy are fine with me. The only issues that I had with the spinoffs before were: 1) they were on several different consoles (ie hard to play them all) and 2) they distracted Nomura from focusing on KH3 (I know he didn't start really working on KH3 until 3D, but still...)

Once the spinoffs are all on one console (PS4 and not handheld) and KH4 is confirmed to be in the works, I'd be perfectly fine. I think MODERN day spinoffs will be a great way to tell stories for the plethora of characters that we now find ourselves with after 13 years between KH2 and 3. It can also dive into additional lore that we seemingly need to know from UX.

GrandWebster

I would love if they dropped the numeric titles, But I don't think they will.

Xehanort maybe gone, but the darkness is still around.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
They should just drop numbered titles altogether then this whole discussion would be superfluous and no game could be "discarded"/ignored anymore just because it doesn't have a numeral.
I agree wholeheartedly. Giving certain games numerical titles just placed superfluous importance on them.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Dropping number titles now, when we already have numbered titles in the series, will likely lead to people "still waiting for KH4".

Also, I've seen people mention Nomura saying they'd do away with numbered titles but I never recall actually seeing him say that. Does anyone have a link to the interview?

I think KHUx will function as the bridge title.

GrandWebster

I think its just kind of annoying to console jump all the time with KH. Having something for the Switch is possible, But why just The Switch? It still technically a console, alongside the PS4

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Even if they did away with the numbers, games that aren't on the main console and have lesser graphics / gameplay will still be considered side pieces to me.

SerDuncan

I really don't like KHUX, I think it's a scummy way to force Kingdom Hearts fans to play through a drip feed gacha game to get the story.

The funny thing is, I actually love the handheld titles. Days is my favorite game in the franchise, and COM comes in at 3rd or 4th for me. I think part of why I loved those games originally was because I was nintendo fanboy. I had to rent a PS2 to play the OG games, but I owned a GB for Chain of Memories, and I bought a DS to play Days. I do recognize now, however, how unfair it might have been for Sony owners to have to purchase at least two handhelds they might not have owned, (and then one more for the PSP) just to play through relevant side games. At the end of the day however, I think that some of those handhled titles are some of the best in the franchise, and really bring a lot to the series

All that said, I sincerely hope they stick to console releases this time. The Switch isn't a handheld like the GBA or the DS, and releasing an exclusive title for it would just piss fans off. If they're going to release KH games for the switch, it HAS to be games that are also on other platforms. It absolutely has to.

I really hope they stick away from phones. The quality of KHUX's gameplay is nowhere near that of the handheld series, and I can't imagine Square Enix actually putting time in to make a decent mobile game like Dragalia Lost or Fate Go or Granblue Fantasy, considering the low quality of many of the FF titles.

At this point, it's PS4 or bust for me, I'm afraid. If it's a "spinoff" on the PS4? Perfectly fine. But I don't think I'd be happy with a spinoff on another platform.

LostArtist

Awards
I really don't like KHUX, I think it's a scummy way to force Kingdom Hearts fans to play through a drip feed gacha game to get the story.

The funny thing is, I actually love the handheld titles. Days is my favorite game in the franchise, and COM comes in at 3rd or 4th for me. I think part of why I loved those games originally was because I was nintendo fanboy. I had to rent a PS2 to play the OG games, but I owned a GB for Chain of Memories, and I bought a DS to play Days. I do recognize now, however, how unfair it might have been for Sony owners to have to purchase at least two handhelds they might not have owned, (and then one more for the PSP) just to play through relevant side games. At the end of the day however, I think that some of those handhled titles are some of the best in the franchise, and really bring a lot to the series

All that said, I sincerely hope they stick to console releases this time. The Switch isn't a handheld like the GBA or the DS, and releasing an exclusive title for it would just piss fans off. If they're going to release KH games for the switch, it HAS to be games that are also on other platforms. It absolutely has to.

I really hope they stick away from phones. The quality of KHUX's gameplay is nowhere near that of the handheld series, and I can't imagine Square Enix actually putting time in to make a decent mobile game like Dragalia Lost or Fate Go or Granblue Fantasy, considering the low quality of many of the FF titles.

At this point, it's PS4 or bust for me, I'm afraid. If it's a "spinoff" on the PS4? Perfectly fine. But I don't think I'd be happy with a spinoff on another platform.

lol not for me. The story is great for a kh game, but that was the hardest thing to keep myself playing and to finish, I barely had fun with it. Also I don't play khux I just watch the relevant cutscenes :p

regardless of what they call the next kh game, I want the next game to be on the newest engine
but I wouldn't be mad if they released the next one on the switch as an exclusive cause I have one hahahahaha

phoenixmiko

Awards
Well, Nomura DID say he wouldn't try to use the regular numbering convention anymore. But we'll have to see what Marketing has to say about this, seeing as how the game's title should be as clear as possible.

Though I kinda get that he may want to change the numbering, what with the Roman numerals being related to the Xehanort Saga.

With how deeply connnected this saga is to the KHx lore, Maybe it'll be something along the lines of KINGDOM HEARTS *something* x Part 1?

Could you please link me to an official source where Nomura says he will not number entries anymore? This is the first I have heard of such a claim.

SerDuncan

Could you please link me to an official source where Nomura says he will not number entries anymore? This is the first I have heard of such a claim.

https://www.kh13.com/forums/topic/58523-tetsuya-nomura-interview-with-finaland-ffdream/

I knew I heard this quote somewhere before... I didn't realize it was so long ago. But, he has yet to say anything to change what he has said here, so I would believe that is still the case. Take with a grain of salt.

Edit:
here's the specific (translated) quote:
Tetsuya Nomura : The Kingdom Hearts series always had Sora as the main character, so we want to make the most of Sora, playable Sora of course. But again, Kingdom Hearts III is going to be the last chapter of the Kingdom Hearts main numbering title series, so lots of fans actually want to play as their favorite characters in Kingdom Hearts III so we will consider that, we will listen to what fans wants but hopefully we could give you some surprises in the future announcements.

And here's the original, untranslated to English article:
https://www.ffdream.com/articles/10056-interview-de-tetsuya-nomura-final-fantasy-xv-kh

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
Even if they did away with the numbers, games that aren't on the main console and have lesser graphics / gameplay will still be considered side pieces to me.
Well handhelds are kinda dead so unless you think the Switch isn't a console you're pretty much set my man

hlc1988

Awards
I think from here on out each game is going to be important. You could say the same for most of the Xehanort saga. It was silly to keep on changing consoles/platforms, which led them to having to put all the games onto PS4.

I'd like KH4 but, as long as the character's stories continue, I don't mind.

Though I hope they continue releasing them on the Playstation and not console hopping, otherwise they'll have to release them on PlayStation at some point anyway since PlayStation is the home of Kingdom Hearts.

SerDuncan

Let's be honest, after the KHx/KHUx fiasco, EVERY game is gonna end up important.

I full expect the data world of Re:Coded to be even more vital then it already is to the end of the series. Union Cross is a simulation for goodness sake, it's ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as KHUX but you know. At this point it's been over 5 years since the first release of CHI, and we've got enough actual story to equal probably about... half of what happens in Days. KHUX is just everything everyone else complains about Days except worse on a far grander scale.

Back