• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Spinal-Cord Injury Victim First to Undergo Embryonic Stem-Cell Therapy"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Epif

The Delicious
Website
epiphany-delirium.tumblr.com
Dr. Donald Leslie, medical director at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, has high hopes.

"We want to cure paralysis," he said. "We want to stop spinal cord injury. How incredible would that be?"

Leslie's mission has begun with T.J. Atchinson, the first step in research that he believes could lead to many steps for those who were told they would never walk again. Atchinson, 21, was the first human with a spinal cord injury to undergo embryonic stem cell therapy.

The athletic college student's life took a hard turn in September when he was home from the University of Alabama visiting his family in Chatom and lost control of his car. Even before he was cut loose from the vehicle, he knew something was wrong.

"I realized I couldn't feel from about here down," nursing student Atchinson said, pointing to his waist. "When I got to the hospital, they said I would never walk again."

The accident took place on the birthday of Christopher Reeves, the actor who had fought hard for embryonic stem-cell therapy but never lived to receive it. Atchinson was still accepting the news about his situation when doctors told him he'd be a great candidate for the therapy.

Stem cells are the building blocks of life, and they've been used in the laboratory to repair the broken spinal cords of small animals, who walked again. Atchinson agreed to become test case No. 1.

Doctors opened his wound, while researchers used a remote control to guide the needle. They injected his spinal cord with a small dose of 2 million cells that, they hope, will transform into new nerve cells, attach to muscles and refire Atchinson's central nervous system.

Although Atchinson's role was only to prove the procedure is safe, he believes it's already working. "I can feel that," Atchinson said, pulling the hair on his legs.

After six months of the therapy, he said, he's able to sense weight when he places heavy items on his lap. It's barely there, Atchinson said, but he can sense something.

Rubbing his leg, Atchinson said, "I can feel that, there's something there."

His doctors are cautiously optimistic.

"It's very hard to measure sensation," Dr. Leslie said. "But if he tells me he couldn't feel something before, and he can now, I got to believe him. And I want this for him more than you know."

His mother, Anita McDonald, wants this, too, saying that people who oppose the therapy on religious grounds are unreasonable.

"It doesn't matter how long they've been in a chair, they all want to walk again," McDonald said. "I just know a lot of people are against it, but until they've been put in the position, I don't think they should judge anybody."

Doctors will continue to measure Atchinson's strength and test his nerves and muscles. He returns to school in the fall, moving on with his life but still holding out hope that his injury is healing.

ABC News' Harvey Goldberg contributed to this report.

Source: Spinal-Cord Injury Victim First to Undergo Embryonic Stem-Cell Therapy - ABC News

This is just amazing, and I think this bit of news should be shared...

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
We can get stem cells from other sources. We don't have to get it from an embryo as I call it, a baby.

If this was me, i would rather spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair than take the life of an innocent baby.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
We can get stem cells from other sources. We don't have to get it from an embryo as I call it, a baby.

If this was me, i would rather spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair than take the life of an innocent baby.

They aren't alive. And the stem cells would be taken from terminated babies or miscarried babies. No one is snatching embryos out of the uterus to use.

This is great news, I'm glad we can give someone their life back when one life is unfortunately ended before it can begin.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
They aren't alive. And the stem cells would be taken from terminated babies or miscarried babies. No one is snatching embryos out of the uterus to use.

This is great news, I'm glad we can give someone their life back when one life is unfortunately ended before it can begin.

Miscarried babies okay since it would be the same as organ donation when an adult dies. But terminated babies is a different case, they were already slaughtered by their own savage mothers, the least this cruel society could do is respect their remains.

O

Oberon

lol Stem cells can be used from umbilical cords too, not just babies. Just pointing that out.

Though I'm not sure if those particular stem cells can treat this problem.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
We don't have to get it from embryos, but they provide the best chances of the most potent stem cells, unless we go looking for anomalous donors, which is extremely difficult and costly.
And that's you, meanwhile, us reasonable people are willing to sacrifice a potential (not even) baby for a real man's happiness and improved quality of life.
But terminated babies is a different case, they were already slaughtered by their own savage] mothers, the least this cruel society could do is respect their remains.
Nice generalisations bro.

Abortions are done for more than one reason, much of the time it's to do with the fact the mother is financially, emotionally or physically unable to support the child they would be having. It's not just dumb teenage mothers taking the 'get out of jail free' card to absolve themselves of responsibility.

I know where this discussion is going to lead, so don't continue it beyond here. It all devolves into facts vs emotions and you've already demonstrated that you're unable to talk about this reasonably.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
We don't have to get it from embryos, but they provide the best chances of the most potent stem cells, unless we go looking for anomalous donors, which is extremely difficult and costly.

Don't care, get stem cells from some place else.

And that's you, meanwhile, us reasonable people are willing to sacrifice a potential (not even) baby for a real man's happiness and improved quality of life.Nice generalisations bro.

Here we go again. People trying to play God. You think you have the right to say when life begins, you don't. You're a human being, you have no right to say when life begins. Therefore we must assume it begins at the earliest point possible, conception. I'm pro life and if that makes me unreasonable then I guess i'm unreasonable but at this point, i don't care what people think of me.

Abortions are done for more than one reason, much of the time it's to do with the fact the mother is financially, emotionally or physically unable to support the child they would be having. It's not just dumb teenage mothers taking the 'get out of jail free' card to absolve themselves of responsibility.

I know where this discussion is going to lead, so don't continue it beyond here. It all devolves into facts vs emotions and you've already demonstrated that you're unable to talk about this reasonably.

Abortion for any reason is murder. Murder is wrong, therefore abortion is wrong as is embryonic stem cell research. That's my view and i'm not changing it. I will die with that view and I will support pro life causes and I hope and pray abortion and embryonic stem cell research is banned and made illegal and the punishment for such things will be the same as murder. Now we can end the discussion on this point.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Don't care, get stem cells from some place else.
And that is where you immediately demonstrate your unreasonableness - your total unwillingness to change in your views.

Here we go again. People trying to play God. You think you have the right to say when life begins, you don't.
It's got nothing to do with our 'right'. We have the ability, and the duty, to help mankind in any way we can, and that's what we're doing.
You're a human being, you have no right to say when life begins.
As the most intelligent and capable beings known to exist, I'd say we are the most qualified to give such a judgement.
Therefore we must assume it begins at the earliest point possible, conception.
Why must we assume it's the earliest when the rest of your premise relies on a totally unprovable idea?
I'm pro life and if that makes me unreasonable then I guess i'm unreasonable but at this point, i don't care what people think of me.
No, you're unreasonable because you're totally unwilling to change your point of view.

Abortion for any reason is murder. Murder is wrong
Nope. Context.
as is embryonic stem cell research.
Well, the research itself isn't wrong in the least. It's the fact that it requires embryos to die is what pisses you off about it.
That's my view and i'm not changing it.
So why come to this discussion/debate? It's nothing of the sort if both parties aren't willing to change their views for a more suitable one. I'm fine with changing my views to something else, you're just not presenting me with a difinitively better viewpoint.
I will support pro life
And thus you support unprepared mothers risking the lives of their children being in shitty conditions if not also prone to abuse.
and I hope and pray embryonic stem cell research is banned and made illegal and the punishment for such things will be the same as murder.
Except the law is based on facts and information, not on your own emotionally-driven opinion on what constitutes a human life. Oh, and that's nice, murdering people for trying to improve the lives of others.

Last edited:

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Here we go again. People trying to play God. You think you have the right to say when life begins, you don't. You're a human being, you have no right to say when life begins. Therefore we must assume it begins at the earliest point possible, conception.

It's not about where life begins. An embryo is alive from conception and that isn't what's up for debate, what IS being contested is whether the fetus is a person who has rights.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
And that is where you immediately demonstrate your unreasonableness - your total unwillingness to change in your views.

Because some views shouldn't be changed. A person has to stand firm on somethings.

Nope. Context.

You're NOT GOD. Get it, you don't decided that.

Well, the research itself isn't wrong in the least. It's the fact that it requires embryos to die is what pisses you off about it.
So why come to this discussion/debate? It's nothing of the sort if both parties aren't willing to change their views for a more suitable one. I'm fine with changing my views to something else, you're just not presenting me with a difinitively better viewpoint.

So suddenly you become the judge what suitable views? Look maybe you're fine with not having a firm belief in something, but i'm not. I believe in a right and a wrong, and I believe that human beings are human from conception to death, and murder at any stage is wrong. I really don't care what you think is unreasonable, last time I checked you're not my God, I don't care what you think is unreasonable and I have a whole group of pro life people to support my view and I believe in the end pro life people will win. The best you can do is come at me and call me unreasonable so you can sound like a liberal intellectual, it doesn't bother me what kind of insults you dish out, I have my belief and I will never change that, call me whatever you want.

And thus you support unprepared mothers risking the lives of their children being in shitty conditions if not also prone to abuse.
Except the law is based on facts and information, not on your own emotionally-driven opinion on what constitutes a human life. Oh, and that's nice, murdering people for trying to improve the lives of others.

No I support adoption if need be, I don't support murder in any case. People like you are the ones that lead to genocide. You believe if someone doesn't meet your standards then they deserve to die. If you don't consider something or someone to be human, you kill it. Stop playing God, and get real.

I made my point and i'm not going to waste another second talking to someone who already has their mind made up. You're not worth the trouble.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

As opposed to you?

I made my point and i'm not going to waste another second talking to someone who already has their mind made up. You're not worth the trouble.

So says the person who stated "this is my view, I'm not changing it".

You're not being reasonable at all.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
So says the person who stated "this is my view, I'm not changing it".

You're not being reasonable at all.

Being resonable to you people is being liberal and pro choice. That's not happening. I know you all are pro choice and I don't expect to change your views either. But I am saying I don't care about what pro choice people think, I will still support pro life causes. In the end the two sides will fight each other in some way, I believe pro life will win because we're the good side and then abortion will fade from the civilized world just like slavery. It's history repeating itself and this story has already been written. I'm just making it clear the side I am on.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
In the end the two sides will fight each other in some way, I believe pro life will win because we're the good side and then abortion will fade from the civilized world just like slavery.

The world isn't black and white, you know.

Being resonable to you people is being liberal and pro choice.

No, being reasonable is being willing to humor views other than your own, and not be like "THIS IS MY VIEW I AM INFLEXIBLE". I can respect any view as long as it's argued intelligently, you're just not very convincing.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
No, being reasonable is being willing to humor views other than your own, and not be like "THIS IS MY VIEW I AM INFLEXIBLE".

I'm not saying you can't have your view. Obviously you can. But I have my view and I shouldn't be called unreasonable just because I have certain views I will not change.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I'm not playing God, I'm using common sense.
Murdering a rapist is not equivalent to murder a little girl.
Look maybe you're fine with not having a firm belief in something,
Where have I demonstrated that I don't have a firm belief?
I believe in a right and a wrong
Likewise, I just don't believe in a universal, absolute, noncontextual right and wrong.
and murder at any stage is wrong.
Herp.
I have my belief and I will never change that, call me whatever you want.
Unreasonable :3
People like you are the ones that lead to genocide.
No, extreme people lead to genocide, and I'm by no means extreme. It's wholly more likely that genocide be committed by religious people than atheists.
You believe if someone doesn't meet your standards then they deserve to die.
Nope, I've never said that, nor do I believe it.
If you don't consider something or someone to be human, you kill it.
Neither have I said that either. I've never said embryos or babies should die.
I'm not saying you can't have your view. Obviously you can. But I have my view and I shouldn't be called unreasonable just because I have certain views I will not change.
But that's what being unreasonable is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back