• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Riku_

(^^)V
Website
www.freewebs.com
My little brother found this random PS2 game called "Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy" at the bottom of a games clearance bin at Walmart last year for $10.00. Obviously, we were expected much from the game... So we started playing it, and it was actually a great game.

The graphics are simply beautiful, and full of detail. The worlds are HUGE. The game is full of unique and challenging brain teaser-like areas which really do require some thought and time. The game also offers a fun and unique "capturing creatures" minigame on the side of all the action in the game. To capture an animal, you must attack i t until it starts to blink yellow, and then you use a capture beetle to take the creature into your possesion. From there, you can donate all of your creature finds to the Abydos Museum, where you can view them in a beautiful museum atmosphere whenever you want. There are many, many creatures to capture.. obviously, this was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Apparently, the makers of the game were going to make a sequel since they assumed that "Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy" would be very successful, but it wasn't and now the sequel was cancelled. I still don't really understand why this game can only be found in department store clearance racks and rarely on the "Used Games" rack of games stores... but it most definitely is an amazing and clearly underrated game. I reccomend it to anyone out there who likes challenging action RPGs.

So, has anyone else played this game and thought it was somewhat underrated? Tell me what you think.:cool:

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
I remember playing a demo for this at the PS2 Experience a few years back and then a different demo from a magazine. It was so-so, more of a platform adventure than an RPG to be honest. The gameplay was a bit linear and boring and had pretty poor voice acting if i recall. The graphics were good but the game had a certain below par Crash Bandicoot feel to it if you ask me...

_Riku_

(^^)V
Website
www.freewebs.com
chaywa said:
I remember playing a demo for this at the PS2 Experience a few years back and then a different demo from a magazine. It was so-so, more of a platform adventure than an RPG to be honest. The gameplay was a bit linear and boring and had pretty poor voice acting if i recall. The graphics were good but the game had a certain below par Crash Bandicoot feel to it if you ask me...

Yeah, well there's actually no voice acting whatsoever...

And it definitely isn't the best game under the sun, I was just trying to say that it's severely underrated. I wouldn't put it below Crash Bandicoot, but maybe at the same level..

+Valkyrie+

I wouldn't say the graphics were amazing, but I admit, it was a pretty good game. I remember renting it at a blockbuster and playin git for 5 hours straight. Is it bad that I don't remember any of my life before playing that game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back