• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Speed reading

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jopari

Yeah, speed reading is basically reading without doing some things and doing others. To speed read you don't read every word individually, but combine them all as you read. So basically you read the entire sentence instead of just part.

Another part of speed reading is not sub vocalizing, which means not reading under your breath. In fact, when you speed read you shouldn't even translate the words from thoughts into language, just recognize them as thoughts.

Eventually you'll begin to read faster, and by reducing everything to the simplest form in your head and recognizing whole ideas instead of just words and fragments you'll read faster.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Holy crap speed reading is reading fast thats absurd. I mean when i thought of speed reading i think of rading a book a page an hour. (sarcaism)

Jopari

Holy crap speed reading is reading fast thats absurd. I mean when i thought of speed reading i think of rading a book a page an hour. (sarcaism)

How fast can you read? The average for most people is 50 or 60 words a minute. Speed readers read 100 to 200 a minute. Major difference. Not just reading fast, but faster than most people can.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
i can read about 80-90 in a minute wow.
Speed readers read 100 to 200 a minute. Major difference. Not just reading fast, but faster than most people can.
Its just reading fast. When you read fast its obvious that you are reading faster then other people.

Jopari

I don't know how many words per minute I can read, but I do know pages. I can read 102 pages an hour in a standard sized paperback, so that's about one and a half pages a minute.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
Speed reading is just when you like leave out your is and thes and a's. If i do that i can read close to 2 pages a minutes the problem is i am a slacker so i never really try my best unless really needed.

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
When people tend to read fast they need to go back to reflect on things while slower readers tend to almost see and create the image that most people get when they read.

M

Miss Murder

In Middle School ( when we took speed reading tests ) I think I got 120 words per minute ... but that was when I was purposefully reading fast.

I can probably read faster now if I wanted to, but I choose not to, simply for the fact that I get more of the book when I read it normally than fastly.

ozymandius

I just read fast without thinking about it. I try not to, though, because I tend to miss some of the important, in-depth details that complete a story.

Jopari

When you really speed read you don't miss details, that's why it's different than just reading fast. You create the image as fast as you read. You don't need to stop and think about it afterwards.

Like I can read any book at my normal pace, which is what I stated above, a page and a half per minute. A year later I can still recall every character and plot twist without even looking at the book.

Euphoria

I've been here for 8 years. Wot?
Awards
-quite possibly the slowest reader ever-

I can't read fast. xD I've tried, I wish I could, but I just can't. I've tried in the past but when I do, I read every sentence as, "asdiorhdgfshudf". And when you have book tests everyday, that isn't a good thing xD And I can't usually keep track of where I am when I read fast...like I'll be on one line and then suddenly be on a different one. But that's only if the font is either small or close together.
I really wish I could speed read though.

Blue

home is where the heart is
I tend to read really fast,and if anyone asks me afterwards what the book was about,I can recall nearly anything.

I don't know if this is a criterion for speed-reading,but I read Harry Potter book no.7 in,like 5,6 hours.

Jopari

That's faster than me, but I was sorta watching a yard sale at the same time, so a couple hours should prolly be shaved off my time.

>.>
<.<

Samber

Your Mom's Mom's Daughter
I'm not sure how fast I read. The only thing I know is that I got a 1399 on an SRI test, though that has nothing to do with speed.
I can read fast purposefully if I want to get somthing over with, and I usually can remember what it is I read, though I don't normally read that fast.

Krimsun Monkeh

Bronze Member
-quite possibly the slowest reader ever-

I can't read fast. xD I've tried, I wish I could, but I just can't. I've tried in the past but when I do, I read every sentence as, "asdiorhdgfshudf". And when you have book tests everyday, that isn't a good thing xD And I can't usually keep track of where I am when I read fast...like I'll be on one line and then suddenly be on a different one. But that's only if the font is either small or close together.
I really wish I could speed read though.

Don't feel bad, some on my friends average 20 words per minute =p

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
Hmm, I never officially took any test to see my Words-Per-Minute average, but my benchmark for how fast I read is usually how long it took me to read the 6th Harry Potter book xD the book is 652 pages and I can read it in about 6 hours usually, so I'd say I read about 1 page a minute, and selecting a random page from the book, it had about 250 words =o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back