• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Speculation: Three Playable Storylines in KH4?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Okay, so I know this seems unlikely but hear me out: What if we have three playable storylines within KH4 focusing on Sora, Riku and Kairi, at the beginning? I could see it working somewhat like Dream Drop Distance, but you have more control of when you swap out, only being stopped at certain points if all the characters aren’t caught up, like how in DDD you’re forced to swap with Sora in Riku’s story if he hasn’t beaten Xemnas yet. Another way it could work is similar to how they did it in KH3, how they’d cut to playing Riku in between worlds.

People have been wanting a Kairi game since kingdom hearts 3, and with her going to start training with master Aqua at the end of the melody of memory, this could be a way to incorporate the standard Disney worlds on their side of reality, while Sora and Riku would have separate storylines within Quadratum, dealing with either Yozora or the Lost Masters. Maybe by the midpoint of the game is when Riku is able to reunite with Sora and bring him home and once they’re back, we could have a 5-person party(with Donald and Goofy of course) with the option to swap between the trio at will.

I fully admit it sounds a bit ambitious, but I’m curious to see what you guys think.

the red monster

Awards
If anything it's gonna be riku, yozora and sora. kairi gonna be ignored as usual, at least till sora comes back home in the end of the game and they reunite.
i can see either riku or yozora being playable for the first 2-3 hours like roxas was for KH2 and aqua for KH3 (at least meant to be)

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
What you just described here is probably my ideal wish game, where we get to play as the trio and depending on the world or story segment switch between them.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
This is a solid idea. They just need to give Kairi a solid enough reason for going to Disney Worlds that ties into the overall KH4 story otherwise it'll become the lesser story compared to Sora and Riku in Quadratum and stuff. But the foundation is there, and character/party swapping is a feature that KH could benefit from long term.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This is a solid idea. They just need to give Kairi a solid enough reason for going to Disney Worlds that ties into the overall KH4 story otherwise it'll become the lesser story compared to Sora and Riku in Quadratum and stuff. But the foundation is there, and character/party swapping is a feature that KH could benefit from long term.
Maybe Riku's plot could be finding Sora and Kairi's plot being about opening a way for the other two to come back while also discovering the Foretellers.

D

Deleted member 271965

I would really like a game like this too. Maybe they could do it like BBB tho. Like, at the beginning of the game we get to pick the character we want to play as, then we play as them for the entire game and play their storyline. That way, we can play the storyline from their point of view and learn all of their abilities and stuff better, and not be forced to switch characters just as you're getting good with one. And if you don't like how the character fights, then you can start over as another character and see if you like them better. :)

HakaishinChampa

Awards
I think there should be more moments where you play as other characters, maybe a Reverse/Rebirth like thing with Riku or Yozora?

Like give me a moment where you get to play as Donald or Mickey with a full moveset

Numbered games imo should focus mainly on Sora but still have other characters playable.

With KHIV focusing on different points of view as the theme, maybe we will have two characters throughout the story. Maybe they'll even let us play as some of the other characters like Luke Skywalker in key moments?

Seasaltrio

Awards
I think Riku will find Sora at some point in KH4, probably somewhat early in the game, and if so, it won't be much of a seperate journey. I might just be getting my hopes up for nothing, but it kinda almost seems like they're setting up Kairi as the underdog in a a way. I mean, we've seen Kairi try "and noteably fail" to do big things like in KH2 when she sets out to find Sora after she remembers him, and in Melody of Memory, when she faces her memories of Xehanort. In the past, I think she's just failed because she's either been the one who can't wield a keyblade, or the one who hasn't even used the keyblade in battle more than once, going up against freaking Master Xehanort. I personally believe that after she finishes training with Aqua, she'll be much powerful. Also, guys, this is Kingdom Hearts. No one dies or fails anything without it being made right again. Why would Nomura give Kairi a keyblade and training under Aqua if he didn't have plans for her? In some of the art for the 20th anniversary, Sora and Kairi are the main focus. In one, Sora and Kairi are both in the final world, Kairi in the "daytime" version, and Sora in the night version. They're both looking at their wayfinders (a symbol that they will always find each other.) and theyre standing back to back, unaware of each other. (To be clear, I'm not certain this is official art. I don't remeber, but I think it is.) I think it's a possibility that kh4 will have two sides like DDD and COM with Sora and Riku, but this time it would be Sora and Kairi.

Chie

Awards
Why would Nomura give Kairi a keyblade and training under Aqua if he didn't have plans for her?
Why would Nomura give Kairi a keyblade and training with Lea if he didn't have plans for her?

Why would Nomura set up random groups of characters "looking for sora" in the realm of darkness or twilight town or whatever if he didn't have plans for them?

I defend most things in Kingdom Hearts, but throwaway asides like these don't mean anything or lead anywhere. It's just "giving the characters something to do" in lieau of actual plot. Yeah, maybe Kairi will be playable one day, but none of the other characters in the series had to be "trained" for several games in a row to let you play as them. It's fluff; there's nothing stopping Kairi from being playable in any of these games, if they actually wanted to use her.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Why would Nomura give Kairi a keyblade and training with Lea if he didn't have plans for her?

Why would Nomura set up random groups of characters "looking for sora" in the realm of darkness or twilight town or whatever if he didn't have plans for them?

I defend most things in Kingdom Hearts, but throwaway asides like these don't mean anything or lead anywhere. It's just "giving the characters something to do" in lieau of actual plot. Yeah, maybe Kairi will be playable one day, but none of the other characters in the series had to be "trained" for several games in a row to let you play as them. It's fluff; there's nothing stopping Kairi from being playable in any of these games, if they actually wanted to use her.

Moving the goalpost of Kairi's screen time has been a thing even as early as her receiving a keyblade in KH2 (also, honestly, most of the second half of KH2 was just Sora needing something to do); altogether, Nomura has had a problem of juggling more characters than he can chew at a time. Yet, I can only imagine how much worse KH3's narrative cohesion would have been without the scattered chapters of other playable characters.

At this point, several characters from the previous arc have concluded their character arcs. Furthermore, we're starting with a new story and new characters. There really is no better time to correct the past mistakes than now. I expect KH4 will retake KH3's approach of focusing on Sora with scattered chapters in between; from a narrative point of view, Sora can remain the main focal point while the plot proceeds in the background. However, the wiser writer will make the most out of this fresh start by juggling fewer side plots that pace smoother.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Kairi gets exclusive game mechanic channeling the powers of the PoH like a next-gen D-Link.

Elsa: Ice powers
Rapunzel: Long hair attacks
Anna:.......
Snow White: Basket of poison apples
Cinderella: giant glass slippers tap dancing on enemies
Sleeping Beauty: Spinning wheel weapon and sleep inducing spells
Jasmine: Ride on Carpet and summon sandstorms
Alice: Grow gigantic and stomp enemies
Belle: Go full Zexion mode with books
Raya: Whip-sword
Vanellope: Glitch powers
Moana: Ocean waves

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I wouldn't want a three scenarios game again unless it was something like SRK(+D&G) being the party of one scenario, RAXI being the party of the second scenario, and TAV(+Mickey) being the party of the third scenario. Admittedly, being forced to play as Kairi would be more bearable in a game where Riku and Sora are also playable (especially in Drop mechanic style where you're never stuck with one character for long), but I still wouldn't want the slog of three scenarios for her.

Moreover, I think there's zero chance KH4 will be multiple scenarios rather than SDG.

sdr27

Awards
I think Sora will stay physically in Quadratrium for the entire arc. However, I think Sora will experience the Disney worlds through Kairi like in MOM; but that defeats the playing as Kairi. Maybe they could have her visit death-themed worlds as "Sora" and she could visit other Disney worlds as herself with Donald and Goofy. Sora could only visit his realm by sleeping.

SuperNova

Awards
I would love a game where you get to play as SRK and being able to switch the main playable character on the fly. Alot of people want a playable Kairi including me, sadly KH4 is looking to be focused squarely on Sora/Riku with DG somehow making their way there because main numbered title. Kairi being relegated to "training" offscreen shows us that there is little chance she's gonna be playable.

Back