• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

SPECULATION: Drop Bar Missing in KINGDOM HEARTS HD Dream Drop Distance Footage

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonbilly

Captain Marvel is a lesbian send tweet
Awards
Man, if the dropbar is literally dropped, I'm blaming all you guys who can't properly time-manage yourself in the game for ruining that mechanic. I personally was fine with the drops, since I timed everything well or just used some drop-me-nots when I wasn't in the mood to be dropped yet. I never had an issue with dropping during bosses or important events, but it was also nice because it gave the feeling of "oh shit I better hurry" in the game, and some extra tension. I dug it.

this is like dropping the time aspect of Majora's Mask

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I really think it's just temporary taken out for some strange reason but I really hope I'm wrong.
I hate that mechanic as much as I hate all the other clunky gameplay in this game lol, keep on preying they've fixed most of the awkwardness. :)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I personally never struggled with the drop function. It's fun and gives great bonuses.

No...Drop bar hasn't been removed:
http://images.khinsider.com/Kingdom...ots/Site Update - 12 15 2011/Characters09.jpg

http://images.khinsider.com/Kingdom...ots/Site Update - 12 15 2011/Characters10.jpg

They sometimes remove it for demos and exhibitions, like back then. Why would they get rid of it altogether...if Yasue just a few months ago not only confirmed its presence, but even stated that drop rate depletion was tweaked for consoles?

Now, would it be *nice* if an option to turn it off is added post-game? Sure. But I'm not betting on it. It's in the game's damn title even...

Yeah, I make note in the article that we even see the drop bar in the demo as late as Gamescom. They wouldn't just turn off that one thing in a trailer, though, especially if they are meant to be showing something that is representative of the almost-completed product. Might as well just turn the whole UI and HUD off like in earlier trailers.

This is why I'm hedging my bets on an option where it can be toggled on and off.

But it could definitely be what you said.

Hirokey123

Awards
I mean they did make a deal on how they were extending it to give us more drop time...maybe they reached a point where it took so long to manually drop the tension/limiter it was supposed to give just became redundant/non-existent so they dropped it entirely and are just keeping the manual drop ability.

Lonbilly

Awards
The two are literally nothing alike. Don't be an apologist for a shitty mechanic.

Both games have time-based mechanics that people seem to complain about because they don't hold your hand. The drop mechanic is a time-based system that, once it hits zero, causes you to be forced to change characters. Depending on how you do in battle, the time you have left with said character can dramatically decrease, but yet they also allow you to purchase items to reset the timer. It's literally so easy to make sure you don't drop during a boss or an important event. They even allow you to manually drop so you can avoid an inconvenient drop before a boss.

How is this mechanic shitty? You want bad/underdeveloped mechanics, look at The Bouncer sorry guys but I really dislike the Bouncer

Muke

whatever
Awards
are you srsly comparing a game from 2000 with one from 2012

Lonbilly

Awards
are you srsly comparing a game from 2000 with one from 2012

wqWMM_s-200x150.gif

He mentioned bad mechanics. I mentioned the first game that came to mind.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't feel either way about it. If the drop is still a part of the game, okay. If not, okay. I wasn't really a fan, but it didn't ruin the game either. I think I'd enjoy playing each story straight through like with CoM. Honestly, the mechanic would've better fit BbS since those stories intertwine in every world.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Man, if the dropbar is literally dropped, I'm blaming all you guys who can't properly time-manage yourself in the game for ruining that mechanic. I personally was fine with the drops, since I timed everything well or just used some drop-me-nots when I wasn't in the mood to be dropped yet. I never had an issue with dropping during bosses or important events, but it was also nice because it gave the feeling of "oh shit I better hurry" in the game, and some extra tension. I dug it.

this is like dropping the time aspect of Majora's Mask

& I'm blaming Square for failing to properly balance it so the meter could serve its purpose without being a hassle. At least MM3D fixed some of the problems with it's time mechanic.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
& I'm blaming Square for failing to properly balance it so the meter could serve its purpose without being a hassle. At least MM3D fixed some of the problems with it's time mechanic.

It is pretty clear they made the drop bar with thought that players would only play KH3D in short bursts rather than the long stretches everybody actually did. I can't even begin to figure out why they thought players would change how they played KH games lol

Lonbilly

Awards

See, I can understand that issue. As Ethy said, it made no sense for them to make it such a short length rather than drawing it out while keeping the system. But the solution isn't to throw it out. MM3D fixed issues with its mechanic and from we can gather of what they've discussed for DDDHD, it seems they are toying around with it there as well. The system ain't perfect but it's far from one of the worst/most broken mechanics we've ever seen in a KH title, and frankly the game would lose a lot more than it would gain with outright axing it, in my opinion.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
It is pretty clear they made the drop bar with thought that players would only play KH3D in short bursts rather than the long stretches everybody actually did. I can't even begin to figure out why they thought players would change how they played KH games lol
I wonder if it has to do with the 3D? Because 3D isn't meant to be played for long bursts and I wonder if they assumed we'd all use it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I wonder if it has to do with the 3D? Because 3D isn't meant to be played for long bursts and I wonder if they assumed we'd all use it.

Y'know, that sounds like it'd be the exact reason. It is a better method than the game nagging you every hour with "Remember to take breaks while playing!" like Pokemon and Animal Crossing did.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
The sudden absence is really weird. The Drop Gauge was never an issue for me. Heck, I never even needed a Drop Me Not.

If it shuts off during boss fights I'd understand but these are normal fights showing.
So either....
1. The Drop Gauge shuts off during all fights
2. There will be an option in the Menu to shut off the Drop Gauge
3. The Drop Gauge was removed completely.

4. It's trailer footage and doesn't show the final product.
:X

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Y'know, that sounds like it'd be the exact reason. It is a better method than the game nagging you every hour with "Remember to take breaks while playing!" like Pokemon and Animal Crossing did.

Pretty much this. You're supposed to take a 15 minute break between every hour of straight gameplay (I remember this from the original METAL GEAR SOLID IV's loading screens, DON'T JUDGE ME!). I imagine a 3D screen is more taxing to the eye, so it'd make sense for SE to promote the Drop Gauge as a sort of "quality of life" gameplay mechanic.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I love the rush that comes with taking down a horde of enemies in that 30 second period where you get double bonuses.

Screw y'all who can't handle it, I want my drop gauge.

Ixza Reprisae

Almost all 3DS games have some sort of warning or notification if you're playing too long; save for Pokemon since it has very few 3D segments, but for the PS4 those "forced breaks" or "warnings" aren't really needed. So it'd make sense if it has been removed.

Personally, I'd like if this means that the drops are incorporated into the story rather than being a gameplay element. I think having played it and knowing the story and reason behind the drops, that it could be used as an effective means of storytelling if they wanted to put that much effort into it.

Honestly, I hope it's gone. That's not because I didn't like it, but because it added nothing to the experience. People can argue that it gave a rush, which I can agree on; for all the wrong reasons, but from a gameplay standpoint it offered nothing other than a break in the flow.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Maybe, the gameplay functions slightly differently. So, as opposed to the Chain of Memories/Birth by Sleep characters select, it's more like this, completing a world first as Sora and it switches to Riku to finish his side...

• Sora Traverse Town
• Riku Traverse Town

• Sora La Cite De Clotes
• Riku La Cite De Clotes

• Sora The Grid
• Riku The Grid

• Sora Pranksters Paradise
• Riku Pranksters Paradise

• Sora Traverse Town
• Riku Traverse Town

• Sora Country of the Musketters
• Riku Country of the Musketters